Street lamp

Street lamp

A Story by Daniel Bailey
"

just a short little story i thought of quickly

"

Camilla threw herself against a flickering lamppost, outside one of the numerous deserted antique and camping shops that littered and spread themselves across the Ambleside area. Jets of mist, glinting in the flickering light above her, dispersed into the cold winters’ night. She checked behind her into the pitch black, straining her eyes she tried to look further into the dark, but yet her eyes yielded nothing, as she could see nothing other than the few meters the feeble street lamp would illuminate.

The cold cobbled street lay quiet and stilled for a few more moments, apart from the noise of Camilla’s heart and her exhausted lungs. She held her breath to silence herself as her ears picked up quickly, she froze, listening ever more closely to the dark, silent world around her. Yet still nothing stirred, other than the gentle knocking of the hundreds of boats that polluted and filled in the water across the shore. As the scene remained ever more silent and still, Camilla’s heart raced harder and faster, her head darted in different directions as to make sense of the small rustles and bumps that echoed across the water.

A large jet of mist dissipated into the night.

Camilla bolted out of the lamp’s lit aura and ran up the hill towards her uncle’s house, she was now so close to being out of this nightmare. Several shops up she tripped, her shoe caught an unearth cobble. Hitting the floor she let out a horrifyingly loud yelp that would never be heard by anyone, all Camilla heard was the snapping of her Calf bone and wrist. slowly griping hold of the road, dragging herself in further up the hill Camilla turned her head back every couple of inches she gained, gazing back at the spot she fled from a few moment before she stared in shocked horror. A silhouette of a man wearing a trilby hat and long overcoat stood in the now vibrant orange glow of the once flickering street lamp.

The figure took a long and horrid drag from a cigarette in its mouth, a few more tense silent moments passed before the figure showed its vile teeth through a Smokey grotesque, misshapen Cheshire cat smile. Flicking the cigarette away, but retaining the smile the figure the shape walked up the tourist entrammeled pathway.

A purring noise gently grew louder across the thin nights air, the engine from the water ferry, lights shone across the skin of the Amberside road, and across the glinting knife held in the figures hand, held across Camilla’s throat.

© 2008 Daniel Bailey


Author's Note

Daniel Bailey
please, if you dont like anything, just let me know

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on November 18, 2008

Author

Daniel Bailey
Daniel Bailey

New Milton



About
Hello there and welcome to my profile. i am a new writer, i started writing about March of 2007, at the moment im writing a Fantasy style Science Fiction story called Niroth's Fable, the book is abou.. more..

Writing