Wind

Wind

A Chapter by Aldora Sparrow
"

Wind's story

"

**Disclaimer** This story is based off of a story I read. Although the writing are mine, most of the storyline does not belong to me.

 

Why do I bother? Because I loved a girl named Leaf. Because I loved her so much I wanted to be the strong wind to carry her away from the tree. To be the warm wind that would embrace her, not like the tree that caused rips to appear on the soft skin of her heart. I wanted her.

 When I first met her, it was one month after I transferred to the new school. It was during a soccer game against a rival school. As I chased the ball, my eye caught sight of rippling black hair. That was when I first laid eyes on her. She was small and very pretty with a smile gracing her lips as she watched my seniors and me playing. Once the game was over, I went to find her, but she disappeared. As I walked home, I went to the park to get some fresh air and think about her. Then, as if my imagination gave her life, I saw her standing there alone, a distant look on her face and fiddling with an oak leaf. I wanted to talk to her, but decided otherwise and continued home. I dreamt about her that night and for many nights after.

At the next game, I peeked at the stands. There she was, leaning on her knees and gazing dreamily at my senior. I felt a little twinge of annoyance. After a few more times, I began to notice her presence. She was always there, in the same spot, with a gentle smile and soft midnight hair that rippled at the slightest movement. I came to expect her presence at the games she would always be sitting there. Sometimes she was alone and sometimes with some friends. And she was always watching him. When he chatted with other girls, I would catch a fleeting jealousy in her dark eyes. When, and if, he happened to glance at her, the smile would brighten her eyes. It was at one of those moments I began to fall for her. Looking at her from afar became my habit. Just like the way she liked to watch him.

Then one game, she didn't appear. I couldn't explain the feeling I felt except it was a kind of uneasiness. A quick scan informed me the senior wasn’t there either. A gut feeling moved me to check their classroom. When raised voices echoed in the empty hallway, I hid outside and, peeking through the window, saw my senior scolding her. His face was livid as he glared at the cowering girl. With a final fury of angry words, he left. Tears in her eyes stained her face. I knew I would be no help. It took all of my determination to I leave her alone to cry.

Later on, I caught her by the oak tree. Her lovely face was miserable and my heart reached out to her. I watched her caress a leaf, biting her lip. She was so absorbed in her own thoughts that she didn’t notice my presence until I leaned against the trunk. As she gazed up at me with those kind dark eyes, a lone tear slid down her cheek. I caught it and showed it to her. She apologized and furiously tried to wipe them away. When I handed her a napkin, she started crying all over again. This time, without a further thought, I embraced her.

It was a while before she calmed down. Again she apologized, this time for getting my shirt wet. Grinning, I took out a note I had written earlier and gave it to her. Surprise flashed across her face. She looked at me for a moment, smiled and accepted the note. The next day, she caught me in a hallway and, taking my hand, slipped me a note. With a mischievous smile, she disappeared into the crowd.

Once we found happiness in the note-passing so we continued to pass notes. Gradually, she started talking to me in person and accepted my phone calls and gifts. We gave each other nicknames. She became Leaf and me Wind. My senior, her love, became Tree. I was surprised how many fond memories she had of him. After what I had seen, I was expecting a hate or fear. But she had a gentle heart and continued to pin for him. That roused a fierce jealousy in me.

But I had the determination that, one day, she would love me in return. After I became more confident, I tried to ask her out. Every time we got near the subject, she would divert away from the topic. But I never gave up. I decided that if I wanted her to be mine, I would do whatever I could to capture her heart. I couldn't remember how many times I had declared my love to her. Although I knew she would try to move away, I still believed in the small shard of hope. I hoped desperately that she would someday agree to be mine.

One night, I called her to chat as usual. It went well and, when I finally gathered enough courage, I asked once again, “Leaf, will you be mine?”

There was a pause, then, “Leaf’s heart is too heavy and Wind can’t carry her away.”

I thought for a moment and smiled. “No, it’s not because Leaf’s heart is too heavy. It’s because Leaf never wanted to leave Tree.” There was a stretch of silence.

“Leaf?”

“Wind, ask me again.”

“Leaf, will you be mine?” I asked, hesitantly.

There was no answer.

“Are you ok, Leaf?”

“Wind,” she said softly, “I’m…nodding...”

“What?” I couldn’t believe my ears. “Wait, Leaf.” Then I hung up.

Quickly changing and throwing on a jacket, I caught a taxi to her house. I took a deep breath and reach out to ring the doorbell. The moment I saw her shining face, I held her so strongly I was almost afraid I was going to break her. But it didn’t matter. All I could feel was her body against mine and warm breath against my neck. I buried my nose into her lustrous hair, riveting in the sweet scent. Wetness on my shirt brought tears to my eyes. We embraced tightly. Everything was right for that one moment…

“Wind?” she asked later on. We were under the great oak tree, with my arms wrapped around her shoulders as she rested on my lap, watching the twilight paint the leaves.

“Yes?” I answered, glancing down at her.

            “Am I too heavy?”

            I chuckled. “Not at all. After all, Leaf decided to leave Tree.” I gazed at the rising stars high in the sky. “It’s Wind’s duty now to heal Leaf’s heart and carry her to a better place.”

            “You don’t need to,” she said. “It’s already done.”

            I didn’t understand. “What do you mean?”

A radiant smile brightened her face. “What better place is there than this?”

 

Leaf’s departure is because of Wind’s pursuit

Or maybe it is because Tree didn't ask her to stay



© 2009 Aldora Sparrow


Author's Note

Aldora Sparrow
Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
Added on May 28, 2009
Last Updated on June 27, 2009


Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing