Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Daughter of Apollo
"

In this first chapter we are introduced to the main character :)

"
A gray blanket of fog takes over the highway as our 2007 Toyota Camy bullets down the wet road. "The Road" by Asking Alexandria blares through my white earbuds.

"Haven't I told you to turn down your music?" my father complains. I turn my music up even more to annoy him. I turn to him and smile. "I don't understand why you give me such a hard time, Celine?"

"Maybe because you took me out of the only place I fit in at because you wanted to explore new writing ideas." My father is a pale skinned, forty-eight year old man with sandy hair and glasses that writes books for a living. Not even good books. Like business books and "How to Succeed" type of books. "Really, out of all of the places to move to, why pick Allentown? Is it even on the United States map?" My father glances at me then focuses back on the road.

A few minutes passed before he continues his explanation on why he's making me move to this crappy town. "Allentown is a very historical town."

"Historical for what? Being the most unknown town in America?" I retorted.

"You may think it's boring now but wait until you here about all the crazy things that happened there. It's practically a graveyard full of secrets waiting to be discovered."

"A graveyard? Dad, when you are trying to persuade someone to like something, you don't compare it to a graveyard-of all things." I lean my head on the door and watch the trees pass. "I wonder if we would've moved if Mom was still here." I mumbled to myself. Silence stung the space between us. I knew my words hurt. I didn't filter my thoughts and yet again I was thinking with my mouth. My Mom...she was amazing. Practically an angel. Everyone loved her and if someone didn't love her, they questioned their sanity. We lost her when I was seven. Plane crash. The last thing I said to her was "have a nice trip." What are the odds?

"And we are here." my Father said as he pulled into a driveway of a medium-sized white house with grayish shackles on the roof.  The car stopped and that was our cue to exit the car and enter our new home. We opened the green worn out front door which immediately opened up into the living room. "So, what do you think?"

"I think, it's a bare living room." I told him.

"Not for long. The movers will be here with the truck with the rest of the furniture tomorrow. But for now, we have our beds and dressers." He explained. "Come on, help me get these few boxes out of the car." I don't know if my father understands the meaning of few. A few boxes mean three of five. But no, for him, a few boxes mean six or eight.

After emptying the boxes from the car, I journeyed to my room. It was smaller than my old room, but it wasn't so small that I could barely walk. I unpacked the few boxes I had of mine. Clothes, CD's, Books,Posters, pictures of old friends, knick-knacks, etc.

"Welcome to our new home, Mom." I said as I sat down a picture of me and her together. I traced my fingers around the picture frame until I invaded each corner.

"Settled in?" my father asked as he stood in the doorway. I turned around and gave a warm smile.

"Yep."

"Well, if you want, go take a look around town. I here there is a bookstore/library in town so I thought you might like that."  He informed.

"Thanks, but I think I'm going to lay low until school starts." Even though I do enjoy books, I don't want to see people. Don't get me wrong. I love people and I have (or really had) friends but at times I just like being to myself. "I think I might take a walk. Or go to the park."

"Okay, do whatever just don't be out late." and then he left. I stood in the middle of my bedroom for a good fifteen minutes before moving. I jogged down the stairs and left the house to have the crisp cool air hit my face. I plugged in my headphones into my phone and turned to my favorite play list named "by myself." I listen to it whenever I take a walk or study, which is very often.

I started walking, taking in the view. One, because I want to know how to get back home and two because I'm a very observant. I like people watching, nature. Seeing how things interact. The trees in the neighborhood looked sad. In some way the bark of the trees looked like a frown. It's kind of creepy when you think about it.

I eventually found my way to a park that was shaded by huge trees. The park seemed lonely as a single swing swung back in forth in the wind and the seesaw looked like it haven't had been touched in years. I paced my way to one of the swings and sat in it. I pushed myself slightly back and forth. I took my foot and started to make a hole in the ground.

"You're a new face." a voice called from behind me. I looked up to find a skinny blond haired boy with brown puppy eyes approaching the park.

"Excuse me?" I asked him. First day here and this is what I hear?

"Well the town is pretty small so you kind of notice when someone new is in town, and also I saw you move in around the corner." He explained.

"So you're a stalker. Great." I say sarcastically. I got off of the swing and started to walk away.

"I'm Dylan Holbrooke." he introduced himself.

"Awesome."

"What's your name?"

"Celine. Celine Devereaux. Can I leave now?" I asked him. I was starting to get annoyed now.

"You could've left minutes ago. I'm not stopping you." he admitted.

"Look Dylan, you're really nice but I don't want to have a neighborhood welcoming comittee all up in my face right now."

"How did you know about the welcoming comittee?" he asked me with his eyebrows raised.

"This town actually has that? Lord help me." I smacked my forehead. "What else does this town have? A city hall?"

"Yes actually we do. What we don't have is excitement. That, you won't find." He informed me. "So where are you from, Celine?"

"Ever heard of Savannah, Georgia?" he nods. "My hometown. Been there since I was a little baby."

"Why'd you come here?"

"You're just a buttload of questions aren't you?" I sneered at him. He gave a sad look. A look a puppy would give you if they've done something wrong. "My Dad is a writer and he uh, he thought it would be good to move and get some new ideas."

"Well he will soon find out that he made the wrond decision. Allentown is a boring place that is a trap. Once you're in, you never get out."

"They should put that on the border sign." I laughed at myself.

"You going to Ravewood High?" he asked me. I nodded slightly. "Well, I'm guessing your a freshmen so don't worry, it will be hard for everyone."

"Thanks dude. Why did you think I'm automatically a freshmen?"

"Because you're small." he laughed.

I don't know why, but of all of the thirty minutes I spent talking to this Dylan kid, I started to like him (not in the date you way though.) He seems pretty chill. Eventually, I learned that he likes reading books, Pierce the Veil and his Mom is a nurse at the Towns hospital. His Dad is not in the picture anymore, so we made a connection there. But other than that, he was basically my welcoming comittee.

"Do you have the time?" I asked him.

"Yeah, it's six o'clock. I have to head back, you should too." He advised.

"And why should I take advice from you?"

"Soon you are going to find this out for yourself, but, this town gets really creepy really fast."


© 2013 Daughter of Apollo


Author's Note

Daughter of Apollo
Give me feedback

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
Added on September 25, 2013
Last Updated on September 25, 2013
Tags: first chapter, chapter, first, read, book, story, mystery, witch, witchcraft, magic


Author

Daughter of Apollo
Daughter of Apollo

About
Hey guys, Daughter of Apollo here! I love writing and I wanted feedback on the many works that I do. I always loved writing but after I read Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower," I was .. more..

Writing