1: Minished

1: Minished

A Chapter by Not here

Chapter 1

“I thought I told you to stay away.”

The bully, nearly twice as large as me, stared directly into my eyes. I didn’t look up from the ground between my dirty, cheap shoes. It was something I’d seen my mom do, and sometimes it worked. Other times, things went terribly wrong. For me, it went terribly wrong.

“Look at me,” the heavyset boy commanded.

I shook my head. My hair was hanging over my eyes, so I couldn’t even see him. Probably, he had a few of his “friends” with him. They always caught me whenever I tried to run. That was the other option. There was only hide or run. Most times, they had the same result.

“I said” -he shoved me backwards off of the swing- “look at me!”

I finally looked up, groaning as I felt the familiar throbbing in my head and the bruises on my back slapping hard against the pavement. Dirt playgrounds were so much better. When you got pushed down, it was like landing in sand. That was my favorite part about our beach in Florida- when you got pushed, it never hurt.

“Miss your home?” he asked me, sticking out his bottom lip to mock me. “I can see it in your face. You wanna go home to your mommy? You wanna go back to Georgia?”

His friends erupted in laughter, punching each other happily in the shoulder. They all began to talk over one another, shouting words at me and names that I’d heard so many times before.

“Florida,” I muttered, “not Georgia.”

The voices stopped. Every face turned down to stare at me.

“Did you just correct me?” asked the lead boy. His name was George, or something like that. Maybe that’s why the first state he thought of was Georgia.

“I…”

“Did. You. Just. Correct. Me?” He spaced out every word, and I saw his hands clench into fists.

“No, no.” I shook my head desperately. “Of course not.”

“Do you know what I do to people who correct me?” he asked, taking a step towards me.

I scurried backwards on the ground, scraping my elbow on the pavement, but that didn’t bother me. “I didn’t-”

“I correct them back. Just a friendly favor.” He smirked terribly as he looked down at me. “There’s so many things I could correct about you.”

“So many things!” said one of his minions, and a few of them started cackling hysterically. The others watched, prepared to enjoy the show.

“How about we start with your face?” said George.

He bent down and reached for me.


<><><><><>

I stumbled into my home much later that evening, every part of my body sore. Despite the black eyes, missing teeth, and possibly-broken nose, I had been beaten, kicked, and punched so hard and in so many places. Needless to say, George hadn’t stopped with “correcting my face.”

“Oh my god!” My aunt rushed over to me and held my head, staring at my distorted face. I winced, and drew away from her.

“It’s fine,” I mumbled. That was the response I’d been taught in Florida. Anytime you got salt water in your eyes, sand in your mouth, and stepped on a jellyfish, you said you were fine. Because that’s all there was to do.

“What the hell happened to you?” roared my uncle, stumbling into the hallway. He was still nursing a broken leg himself, and lumbered around the house all day on crutches.

Good for him, I thought. At least he was in the Army. Pain doesn’t bother him.

“Who did this to you, baby?” asked my aunt in that voice she always got when she treated me like a child. Or maybe that was her normal tone.

“Do I need to go talk to his parents?” My uncle gave me a stern look. “I still have a few rounds in my gun.”

That made me smile for an instant, but the pain it brought made me stop instantly.

“Terry, that’s not funny!” shouted my aunt, punching him in the chest.

“Sorry, babe; sorry.”

I was halfway up the steps before they even realized I had left.

“Come back here!” called my aunt. “I need to-”

“I’m fine,” I said.

“But-”

“I’m always fine.”


<><><><><>


Tossing and turning in bed, I still wasn’t able to find any sleep. Whenever I rolled onto my side, there was a sharp burst of pain that made me flinch and instinctively turn the other direction. But that only hurt worse.

“What’s the point.”

I marched over to my black chair and sat down. When I was younger, I would spin around it until I got dizzy and fell, laughing, onto the floor. My dad would do the same, and we would have competitions to see who could keep spinning the longest without falling off. I won most times, but now I realized that he let me.

The only picture I had of my mom and dad was sitting on the desk in front of me. I’d had others, but they all broke or got burned when the house caught on fire a few years ago. That was only a few weeks after I’d moved up here, living with my aunt and uncle. At first, I thought it was a temporary placement. I expected to go back to Florida anytime soon, and so I’d been careless with the pictures.

Then I realized I wasn’t going back.

Sighing with frustration, I leaned my head back in the chair. To the side, I could see out the window.

All around us was a nice, wealthy neighborhood. The problem with the large collection of houses was that nobody ever came outside. When lawns are a decoration and not nature, there are no kids to get grass-stains on their jeans or play two-hand-touch in the front yard. There are no white, picket fences to be painted, no windows to be broken by stray baseballs, and no basketball nets to be fixed. Instead, there was money, there was books, and there was boredom.

But one person I’d met was different.

Abigail was fun, and daring, and sometimes reckless. She reminded me a lot of my friends in Florida, the ones I’d left behind without even saying goodbye to. Abigail was happy, and when she wasn’t happy she was angry. Her temper would sometimes change drastically, wildly, which made every day an adventure and unpredictable.

The last day of school, she skipped and showed me around town. Up until then, I’d been home schooled. Next year, I was going to the high school, which I knew would be like a whole different world.

In hopes of getting to know her better, I’d given her my number. But so far, I’d got no answer.


<><><><><>


My phone buzzed late that night just as I had finally gotten to sleep.

“What the hell?” I growled, looking at my alarm clock. The bright, blue numbers told me it was nearly one in the morning. “Who’s still awake?”

It was from Abigail.

I heard you got beat up



Who told you that?

I heard your aunt and my mom talking about it



Yeah

So did you?



Maybe

-_- I thought you weren’t gonna get into fights anymore



Is it technically a fight when you don’t punch back?

I’m sorry. I just don’t like when you get hurt.



Do you think I do?

You know what I mean



Yeah. Thanks for caring though

Of course I do



That’s more than most people can say

Hey. It’s gonna be alright. We can hang out tomorrow and talk about it then. Well, hang out today I guess since it’s like 1



Yeah. Why are you up so late anyways?

Reading



Thought you were gonna kick that addiction?

Shut up dork



Gnight :)




© 2016 Not here


Author's Note

Not here
Let me know what you thought below. Hopefully, you enjoyed this chapter. let me know if you have any critiques or suggestions for the dialogue, story, etc. For the texting, I made a chart and filled it in, then made the lines white. That was the best way I could think of to separate it.
If you couldn't tell who was texting when, please let me know so I can do something.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good David! Sorry I didn't get to it sooner, I haven't read anything on this site lately because I have been really busy but I'm hoping to get back into the habit.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

lol thats no problem :) im just thrilled you liked it
Aww haha well I really like his uncle since he made me laugh with the rounds in his shotgun. And OMG Abigail and the Anonymous so far character are so cute, just by seeing that in the texts they sent to each other. I really enjoyed reading this chapter and for the first novel of something that's not horror you done a really good job. I can't wait to read the next chapter. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

thank you very much :) and my dad says it's creepier than my horror, so...yeah i don't know lol.
KittyKatgirl

8 Years Ago

Haha well if it's leading to a romance yeah that might be why. Guys think romance stories and that a.. read more
Not here

8 Years Ago

lol that's a good point
David, Really like the way you ended this in a text. Not sure how realistic it would be for a aunt to leave a beating as severe as this on though. I'd think they would be more persistent, especially with teeth missing, and being from an affluent neighborhood.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

thats a good point. i will defintely consider that. thank you for your input :) i appreciate it very.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
A really remarkable write! Took me awhile due to finish fighting off the anxiety. I've told you I can't write stories (or chapters of an even broader challenge, the potential book.) so I always admire those who can. It excels most in the area of conversations. Stories I have read of others can sometimes feel forced when writing a conversation, but you handle it flawlessly though. Like I was actually hearing the voices of each character. Damn nice piece of writing! take care...dan

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

thank you dan :) and you dont have to read these. it is difficult i understand. take care man
dan

8 Years Ago

When I'm reading a long poem I try it for awhile; if it really grabs my attention early I read on. I.. read more
Not here

8 Years Ago

well yeah yeah of course you don't have to. I just meant that I completely understand if you don't. .. read more
I liked the texting. It was fun. Let's see more texting :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

okay thank you :) i appreciate it. and ill try to work more into this story
*The bully seemed like a flat character, intentional or not, I liked it.
*The bully had the stereotypical name of a "helping hand" so I'm wondering if it is a foreshadow for later on or just a coincidence.
*I noticed how the "I'm fine" coincides with the 'boys don't cry" theme in today's culture and society.
*I can't quite tell the age group that these bullies fit under. 'Middle school' ages (America's scale) are seen to be more physical when bullying, so I'm wondering if ages 10-13 are shown in this.
I say this is a really interesting story and I would love ot read more! Thank you for sharing this

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

so you liked that he was a flat character?
i very much agree that "i'm fine" equals that them.. read more
(*Fallenarchanglez*)

8 Years Ago

*the bully being a flat character leaves more room for interaction with the main character. With a r.. read more
Not here

8 Years Ago

okay awesome :) thank you for that explanation. the second chapter is up now. and the entire book wi.. read more
Very good. I want to keep reading. I want to see what happens. I want to see George get hit by a train. Well written.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Persephone Blum

8 Years Ago

No idea, but got the request 😊
Not here

8 Years Ago

awesome :)
Not here

8 Years Ago

U CAN USE EMOJIS ON HERE!!!! WTH I NEVER KNEW!!!!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 31, 2016
Last Updated on February 26, 2016


Author

Not here
Not here

WA



About
welcome more..

Writing
Midnight Midnight

A Chapter by Not here


Morning Morning

A Chapter by Not here