Do We Have Free Will?

Do We Have Free Will?

A Story by davidwrites

One of the most longstanding questions in philosophy is whether we truly have free will when it comes to making choices. At first glance, it seems obvious that we do - we make countless conscious decisions every day about what to eat, what to wear, how to spend our time, and so on. However, when you examine the factors that go into those choices, the waters become murkier.

Much of what drives our preferences and decision-making could be seen as outside of our control. Our innate personalities, natural inclinations, and biological predispositions seem to be predetermined rather than something we consciously choose. Why does one person love hiking in nature while another prefers surfing? These fundamental aspects of our identity weren't something we selected for ourselves. As Spinoza put it, "Men are deceived in that they think themselves free, an opinion which consists only in this, that they are conscious of their actions and ignorant of the causes by which they are determined."

Furthermore, we are all heavily influenced by our upbringing, culture, and environment. The values, beliefs, and behaviors we are exposed to from birth have a profound impact on how we view the world and what we deem important. Psychologist John Watson espoused this view, stating "Give me a dozen healthy infants, well-formed, and my own specified world to bring them up in and I'll guarantee to take any one at random and train him to become any type of specialist I might select -- doctor, lawyer, artist, merchant-chief and, yes, even beggar-man and thief, regardless of his talents, penchants, tendencies, abilities, vocations, and race of his ancestors." 

You could argue that even once you account for nature and nurture, there is still an element of free will when we consciously make a decision and could have chosen differently. However, many philosophers would question whether we are the ultimate source of that choice. As Schopenhauer wrote, "A man can surely do what he wills to do, but he cannot determine what he wills."

Ultimately, while we have the subjective experience of making free choices, it is hard to definitively point to any decision that is fully free from external influences, whether they be biological, environmental, or physical/causal constraints. The degree to which any choice is truly "free" is perhaps indefinable and more a matter of perspective. As Nietzsche proclaimed, "A philosopher... feels an obligation to say just once what everyone else merely hints at."

Those are just some of the key considerations around this dense philosophical issue. While full free will is difficult to establish definitively, most would agree we have some level of conscious autonomy in decision-making, even if the degree is difficult to quantify. As always, how much weight we give our subjective experience of freedom is part of what makes this one of the most fundamental unanswered questions humanity has grappled with.

© 2024 davidwrites


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

64 Views
Added on April 2, 2024
Last Updated on April 2, 2024
Tags: philosophy, life, free will, psychology

Author

davidwrites
davidwrites

About
I am new to writing and a late bloomer. I didn't begin appreciating art, music, and writing until I was 30. Please offer any pointers and guidance that would help me in my journey. In my spare time.. more..

Writing