The Caged Lily - Chapter 1

The Caged Lily - Chapter 1

A Chapter by daxelot
"

As she is now 15 years old Lady Lillian Loren must decide on a suitor to spend the rest of her life with. But how can she choose from the suitors her father has presented to her

"

The manor was abuzz with sound and movement, servants ran to and fro with their orders the place needed to be perfect for tonight’s get-together for an important ball was being held in honor of the lady of the house, servants whispered to each other hoping to get a glance of the lords and ladies who were to visit the Loren household. Up in her room, Lillian Loren stood with a small frown on her face she hated getting all dressed up for her father’s soirees it was bad enough that she had to socialise and put on a show to be paraded around the grand hall like a prize to be won but she could guarantee her father had a plan for tonight’s party and the plan most definitely involved her.


“Come now, miss. We need to get you all sorted for tonight.” Ellie stood beside her pinching at her dress and fluffing up her hair. 

“Ugh, but I don’t want to go to this thing! It’s just Father prancing me around his rich friends like a showhorse. I want to go outside and explore.” Lillian huffed, 15 was a difficult age she knew she was under her father’s house and had to obey his rules but she could do so much more than be cooped up in a cage. She was very lucky her father was a generous man, she had heard horror stories of arranged marriages from when couples were only babies. She had at least some of her independence, though ever since mother passed father’s grasp only strengthened. She felt sorrow for him, he was a kind man under his show and bravado but she knew what was next for her in life, marriage. The thought alone made her shudder though she knew it was her destiny as the Loren house’s eldest child. 


“Lady Lillian please you need to stop moving.” Ellie’s eyes wore a gentle frown. Though Ellie would never fully scold her like Mother used to when she was being a menace she still had respect for her maid. Ellie had almost taken over as a substitute mother for her she could be harsh and scold her from time to time but Lillian knew she was only looking out for her.

“Ellie, do you think I will get a proposal tonight?” Lillian knew the answer but was hoping for something different, a change of fate.

“I suppose you will my lady, your father has already had many requests sent to him from young lords all over the country, I gather they’ll all formally propose at this party of yours. Stake their claim publicly, as it were.” Ellie spoke nonchalantly she had been her mother’s maid for over 30 years she had a lot of experience and Lillian trusted her judgment.

“Oh bother” That was the answer she had thought of. She stood for the rest of the time in silence, the proposal filled her head. Who could it be? Hopefully, a nice husband who would give her some free time to read and freedom to wander. But that was unlikely, she had to do something surely she had a choice in her betrothal instead of the men taking over her life? It was of course her life, not theirs!


“Ok miss, you’re ready.” Ellie gave a polite smile but had a gleam in her eye, she was proud of her work.

“Thank you Ellie this is a beautiful gown.” She admired the light blue dress with silver embroidered through it, it was indeed beautiful. Ellie had done her hair up in curls her brown locks went well with the dress, she looked almost regal.

“I know miss! The master brought this for you to wear tonight doesn’t it look wonderful! It suits you Lady Lillian, you look beautiful” Ellie gushed over the sight of her Lady, Lillian frowned slightly, father brought it? Part of his plan she had to guess, does he have a preferred suitor? She went over her lessons the only family who would appreciate the light blue colour would probably be House Duvan as it’s part of their crest but Lord Duvan and her father do not see eye to eye on a lot of aspects. She was unsure what fabric the dress was made of but it was luxurious and light, perhaps an export from somewhere. She gave a small sigh, she wished he would explain these things to her so she could prepare. Her father was a man unto himself he could be very unpredictable always having a plan for these situations. A knock on the door startled her from her thoughts.

“Lady Lillian, Lord Loren is waiting for you.” The voice of William sounded from the hallway.

“Thank you, William.” She gave a nod to Ellie who had her head bowed to her before heading out of her room to meet with her father.


“There she is, my little girl.” Her father stood in the hallway with William by his side. He had a wide grin and held out his arm for her to take. Samuel Loren a prime candidate for a lord, in his late 30s, was handsome and charming, due to being widowed he was also suitable for another wife but he had not taken any interest in anyone since her mother passed. They had briefly spoken about it in the past but it was clear it was a subject her father wanted to avoid talking about.

“What do you think of the dress? Beautiful isn’t it?” He smirked a knowing gleam in his eyes, she knew it he did have a plan!

“I’d rather you inform me about your plans before dragging me through them Father.” She gave him a small frown but he ignored it and gave a chuckle.

“You’ll see in time my dear, now smile you need to attract as many young lords as you can, it’ll be a bloodbath for your favour.” He looked ahead and glanced to William who gave a shake of his head.

“Master Samuel please stop using Lady Lillian for your plans, and stop pitting the young lords against each other.” William was the only servant who could speak to her father like this. There was no one Samuel trusted more than the soul who was in servitude to the Loren house. Samuel paid no attention to his servant though the grin still stuck on his face. The trio headed down the stairs to the grand hall William followed behind at the proper distance for a servant, he appeared to be focused on his Lord his eyes unwavering but Lillian knew he was also directing the household subtly. Whereas Samuel was the lord of the house William was the cog that kept the machine turning he was the Lord’s top servant, and the others were to listen to his instructions with no backtalk. 


As they walked down the grand staircase into the hall Lillian noticed that all eyes were on her. Everyone was in admiration of Lady Loren the pride of the Loren house. She smiled genuinely taking her time to scan the crowd and note who her suitors may be eyeing her. Lord Ashton Duval was the first one she noticed taking note of the dress choice of her father, she gave a glance to her father who seemed to be scanning the room for someone else. 

So not Lord Duval’ She thought to herself frustrated with her father’s games. As they entered the ground hall Lillian was almost surrounded by a few other ladies she was familiar with.

“Lady Loren you look wonderful, that dress is amazing.” Abigail Kontose was the first to speak she was older than Lillian at 17 old and was already married to Lord Rostal Kontose, second son of Harold Kontose, Duke of Contasan.

“Thank you, my father chose it for me.” She said with a small frown earning a few starry-eyed glances from some of the girls there.

“Lady Lillian.” A voice sounded from behind her, she stood before Lord Matthew Florain, first son of Duke Bryce Florain of Verban. He was a handsome young man with light brown hair and emerald green eyes. He wore the colours of Florain forest green with a pastel yellow running through it. She turned around to give a small curtsey.

“Lord Matthew, thank you for attending it’s lovely to see you again.” Lord Bryce was partial to the Loren brand of wine her father had taken her to Verban in the Summer every other year. She had spent a lot of time with Matthew in those days actually, a marriage to Matthew did not sound so bad he was kind and caring, smart and handsome. Verban was a beautiful part of the country with warm summers and mild Winters.

“May I have this dance?” Matthew reached out his hand gently a smile on his lips and the light shone in his eyes. Lillian had never thought of him in this way before.

“Yes of course.” She gave a soft smile taking his hand gently. She wanted to know where her father was if he was watching them, if this was his plan. But she pushed down those questions and focussed on Matthew.

“You look beautiful Lily.”  His smile was genuine as they crossed the hall together. He took her waist gently while she placed her hand on his shoulder.

“It’s Lady Lillian to you Lord Matthew.” She gave a small smirk as they waltzed to the music. Matthew smiled back a knowing look in his eye.

“Of course how could I be so rude, my lady.” He chuckled causing Lillian to blush slightly what was wrong with her? This was the first suitor and she was already being wooed, though she knew Matthew pretty well so he did have an upper hand in this matter. The fact he had the confidence to ask her first gave away the fact he was confident in his claim, though she must admit she was pretty confident in his claim too.

“Is your father here my Lord?” It was strange using formalities with her friend but she was taught that etiquette was important in public. 

“Yes, he is speaking with your father right now.” Matthew’s expression was taken by surprise with the formality but she could tell by his eyes he understood what she was trying to convey to him.

“You’re handling this well, I’m impressed.” Matthew brought himself closer to her in a whisper. “Thank you, I must admit I’m a bit nervous.” She whispered back to him, his voice comforted her she needed something familiar at this moment in time. He was about to respond when the sound of clapping brought them back to the hall, he gave a reluctant smile and let go of her hand and a low bow. She curtseyed in response, their time was up.


She watched as Matthew walked back to the crowd taking a small glance back to her. She had a smile on her face as she too went back though she wished she could go back to him. 

“Lady Lillian that was wonderful!” The group of ladies surrounded her chattering about the dance with Lord Matthew.

“You both suit each other so well, does Lord Matthew have a chance?” A voice sounded from beside her as Lady Natalie Trivana gave a small smile. Lillian blushed slightly.

“Lord Matthew is… nice.” She silently cursed herself for lack of a better word, she found herself flustered.

“I will just have to see who else shows interest in me” She tried to change the subject quickly heading over to a table with drinks and food. She took a small glass of wine, Loren brand of course. Part of her father’s advertising method is to use the event to promote the drink. She looked like the hall trying to find out who the next suitor may be. She spotted Lord Matthew talking to another lady maybe a bit older than Lillian but she was unfamiliar with the lady who he spoke to. She gave a small frown almost wanting to head over and hear what they were talking about, but she controlled herself.


“Excuse me, Lady Lillian, may I have this next dance?” A voice sounded from behind her as a young man approached from the crowd he looked to be older than her not bad looking either. Light blonde hair and hazel eyes, though his eyes seemed unreadable. She was unfamiliar with the individual or the house they belonged to.

“Of course my Lord.” She took his hand and was surprised that it was cold. She let him lead her back to the main hall the silence was awkward but she had to remember that she had known Lord Matthew since childhood. 

“Apologies I didn’t introduce myself. I am Lord Irran Rostok, the first son of Jutan Rostok.” His voice was deep and his accent was not local. She was unfamiliar with the house name and figured they could be from the North she had yet to approach that area in her studies, so she cursed her lack of studying the other houses.

“No need for apologies my lord, thank you for attending it’s an honour to meet you. Was it a long trip?” She was happy for the conversation though Lord Rostok seemed to show little emotion or he was just difficult to read. He looked her directly in the eyes seeming to be trying to read her too.

“It was fine, the weather here is too warm, not what I’m used to.” Straight to the point, not a bad trait she preferred that to the flowery speech some of the court members used.

“Where are you from, my lord?” Usually, she would pander and try and get the information out through small talk but she figured that method would not work on Lord Irran it was a gamble as lack of knowledge can be seen as a sign of lack of education a trait vital for a court lady. Lord Irran looked at her curiously she could swear she saw a small smile on his face but it didn’t last long.

“Honesty is good, I appreciate it. I am from the country of Drazzak to the North. My father is what you would call the Duke of the Krita region.” He placed his hand on her waist as the music started to play she placed her hand on his shoulder. He was tall, taller than she had expected but she could feel his strength she racked her brain for any knowledge about Drazzak but fell short she was usually good at remembering location as her duty was to learn and be able to recite this information easily.

“My apologies my lord I know nothing about your country I am embarrassed to admit.” She could not stop her honesty streak now at least it seemed to work in her favour. 

“This is a good thing Lady Lillian, we prefer our country to be secretive, it’s part of our culture. Do not feel embarrassed, I do not know everything in the world and neither do you. There is nothing wrong with that.” He led her across the hall though he seemed quite stiff in his movements like he was trying to remember the steps.

“Like I am not a good dancer, your dances confuse me, too many steps to remember.” He smiled slightly. Lillian smiled back giving a small giggle.

“You’re doing pretty good my lord, this isn’t my favorite dance either quite awkward to dance to.” She had calmed down a bit. Though Lord Irran seemed to be quite stoic he was not intimidating she had to wonder if others from the region were the same. Though she was a bit wary of the cold weather. Sometimes winters in Tyria could be very cold she spent the time bundled up by the fireplace often it was hard to imagine living a life like that.


The dance with Lord Irran came to an end he also gave a low bow and a gentle kiss on her hand, she curtseyed in response feeling quite tired after that awful dance. Not that it was Lord Irran’s fault but she hated that dance. 

“So what do you think so far?” Her father slid up to her a conniving smirk on his face.

“Both Lords were potential suitors. Why? What are you planning now?” She glared at him frustrated, sometimes he was like a child playing his games with others. 

“Oh nothing, nothing. You have a couple more suitors tonight. Up for more dancing?” Her father smirked he seemed to enjoy tormenting her like this, she wondered if he treated her mother like this when they were younger.

“Of course I’m ready, but I think you have a couple of ladies interested in you over there father.” She had noticed some ladies of the court staring over at them looking to want to speak with her father. He sighed in dismay.

“Why can’t they just leave me alone, this is a party for my dear little Lily of course.” He tried to avoid their gaze it was now Lillian’s turn to smirk.

“Come on father, you should have some fun too. You don’t want to keep your admirers waiting.” She grabbed his arm half pulling him over to the waiting ladies. 

“Traitor” He whispered in her ear as she released his arm when they got to the crowd.

“Please look out for my father he needs a little fun tonight too.” She directed her comment towards them giving her father a grin. Samuel had removed the frown from his face and had a fake smile on instead. 

“It is very nice to meet you all, thank you for coming along to the party.” Lillian was always impressed with how quickly her father could put on a mask, it was the mask he had had to use when meeting with ladies who were interested in him. 


“Lady Lillian.” The next voice that graced her ear was the one she was dreading the most. Lord Serrin Rowley son of Lord Falon Rowley of Hasbran, she could tell Lord Serrin did not want to be here Lillian could relate to him on that. Lord Serrin and Lady Lillian had a past, her father was good friends with Lord Falon the Loren’s and Rowley’s had been allies for a long time much to her dismay at having to see Lord Serrin regularly.

“I see you’re wearing a dress made from Hasbran wool, it suits you.” Lord Serrin’s gaze was that of annoyance more than anything. He had always treated Lillian like a little girl and when they were in each other's company he would bully her often.

“Yes, I can say your servants did a good job cleaning you up for a change you look presentable.” Her response was scathing but she meant her words. While Lord Serrin was a bully he was very handsome. Probably the only redeeming thing about him she then realised what he had said to her. Her father wanted to impress Lord Rowley.

‘That man, he knows how I feel about Serrin.’ She cursed again to herself she had forgotten how close their fathers were, frustratingly.

“Come on my Lady, let’s impress everyone here.” He had a smirk on his face she took a glance at him noticing he was staring at her she glanced away quickly. What was this feeling, she hated Serrin but she must admit he did look handsome in his uniform.

“Of course my Lord.” She took his hand gently, unlike Lord Irran his hand was warm she took another look at him, he was confident in himself and his smile showed it. She wasn’t sure if he actually wanted to be her suitor but whatever his plan was he was following it through, he wanted to make a statement. As they got to the middle of the hall the music started. He wrapped his hand around her waist and they started to dance. It was a local dance she knew very well. Serrin was a wonderful dancer he led her confidently she almost wanted to trip him up but knew she would get a scolding if she tried.

“Quit thinking bad thoughts, my lady. If that scowl was to get any deeper then I’d almost feel hurt.” He was staring at her again and she realised she was not being fair to him. For all his flaws he was probably here at his father’s request too.

“Sorry Lord Serrin, I must say you are a fantastic dancer.” She tried to change the subject focusing on the positives. Lord Serrin seemed surprised at the compliment it had removed the smile from his face.

“Thank you, my lady, you’re not so bad yourself. Though I must admit you do look beautiful in that dress.” Serrin’s gaze had changed from a smirk to a genuine smile it was quite strange to see. She blushed slightly feeling her heart beat quickly in her chest wait this reaction was to Serrin of all people? She must admit when he smiled genuinely instead of making fun of her he looked very handsome, though nothing compared to Matthew. 


The dance was over quite quickly compared to the others. Lord Serrin gave her a smile and a bow his gaze lingered on her she smiled back giving a curtsey and turning back to the crowd. She glanced around trying to spot her father before he could sneak up on her again but he still seemed to be caught up with the group of ladies coming back from the dance with one of them. Lady Loriana Virridian a beautiful lady she was in her 20s and still unmarried it was rumoured that she had not found a suitor yet, Lillian was reluctant to believe that but she could do nothing but wonder. Lady Loriana would make a good wife for him her father, Lord Virridian was older but a fair man, if a marriage was to go ahead Lord Samuel would take over the County of Reshan as Lady Loriana was Lord Virridian’s only child. She breathed a sigh of relief it seemed like her group of ladies had run off to mingle and flirt with lords of their own. There were a lot of lesser lords here but her father had probably specified the requirements of her suitors beforehand. She was glad for this respite and wandered slowly around taking a good look at who had shown up to the event. Quite a few married lords and ladies had come along to mingle and assert their position in the hierarchy this party was not only for her it was for all who attended to network and push their position up the ranks. It was a bunch of politics she cared little for but her father had stressed the importance of it. Visibility was important for if you are seen then you are known.


“Lady Lillian, may I ask for this dance?” Another voice sounded from behind her as she turned her eyes widened at the man in front of her. 

“Prince Antelles!” She gasped in surprise glancing over to her father who had managed to sneak away from the group of ladies hounding him. A dark look was on his face as he noticed who was with his daughter but she knew he could do nothing in this situation. House Antelles was another foreign house but from the country of Gorran to the West, a kingdom of great power Gorran was said to be a nation at constant war. The Antelles were seen as a high-strung family they could snap at any moment and war could break out in the nation that upset them. 

“Yes of course your Highness.” She curtseyed clumsily shocked at the request from such a figure. Prince Oliver Antelles was the first son of the Gorran King she needed to make sure not to upset them. He held out his hand a soft smile on his face the pause allowed her to get a good look at him, dark brown hair and grey blue eyes his hair was short and slicked back much like the other suitors he was handsome, but there was some wariness about him. She could not imagine this man was part of the rumours that circled the kingdom though the fact that he was here peaked her curiosity anything that had disrupted her father’s plans usually did. She took his hand keeping a smile on her face she glanced around the hall aware of the stares from those surrounding them. Lord Matthew caught her eye a vicious scowl on his face even Lord Serrin’s face was locked in a glare towards Prince Antelles he was not liked in this hall.

“I know that look, are you worried my lady?” His voice was soft much like his gaze she looked back at him trying to read him. He looked to be nervous himself, he tried to avoid looking around the hall and his eyes were focused on her.

“I would be lying if I said I was not slightly nervous Your Majesty.” Sometimes her honesty was a flaw, her father had told her to be more gentle and aware of situations where she was open, but that was not who she was.

“I understand, I am aware of the rumors that circle the kingdoms about me.” He kept his gaze on her he seemed to be curious about her responses.

“Unfortunately if the people are unaware of the truth rumours are the only information they have to go with.” She still did not trust the man in front of her rumours had to sprout from somewhere. Whereas the king was the main subject of the rumors Prince Oliver was known to be just as bad. He was a strong warrior and an intimidating individual, humourless and sadistic.

“I see it in your eyes, the distrust for me. I assure you I have nothing to hide.” She tried to read him, to see the lies but she could not find them the music had started she felt stiff and uncertain.

“Please my lady, relax your muscles there’s little I could do here to you, if anything. I’m certain your father would have my head if I made a wrong move.” He was correct, though Lord Loren could be foolish he knew his place but he was also not afraid to protect her, he would never treat her as an object but she was his daughter and she was very precious to him. She relaxed slightly trying to focus more on the dance than who she was dancing with. 

“You are beautiful Lady Lillian, I can see why you have so many suitors.” Prince Oliver’s words were soft and his touch gentle. Lillian was conflicted, she wanted to believe the rumours but he was nothing like what she had heard so far. True they were in public but perhaps the rumours were wrong. 

“You are a very good dancer, Your Majesty.” She spoke almost absent-mindedly of course he would be a good dancer but he gave a small smile at her compliment, the smile had just amplified his attractiveness she found herself staring and slowly letting her guard down.

“That’s much better, isn’t it? Now you can dance freely not as stiff as a board.” He led her through the steps although he was in the lead it was apparent he was making her the star of the show. She could feel the eyes around her but she was lost in the music and the dance Prince Oliver was her main focus she could tell from his expression that he was enjoying himself. It was strange this apparent stoic man was full of emotion and feelings, the rumors began to melt away from her mind as she returned his gaze. Prince Oliver was a wonderful dancer he matched her pace and seemed to know all the steps to the music she realised that she was having fun with him. She was reluctant to drop all of her suspicions but she did take note that she had dropped her guard slightly around him she had a smile on her face and a song in her heart and at that moment that was all that mattered.


As the music ended they stopped dancing though his hold and gaze lingered on her he seemed reluctant to let go but eventually removed his hands and gaze from her. Giving her a low bow in respect. She could feel her cheeks hot and her heart pounding as she responded in a curtsey part of her wanted to go back and dance some more but she knew they were finished.


“Lady Lillian are you alright?” She could feel a hand on her shoulder as Lord Matthew approached from behind her he had a frown on his face but it was directed towards Prince Oliver..

“It’s good to see his highness, Prince Oliver” Another voice sounded this time Lord Serrin stood beside Lord Matthew a smirk resting on his face.

“The pleasure is mine my lords, I would not worry about Lady Lillian she is a wonderful dancer.” Prince Oliver looked both of her suitors in the eye before resting his gaze on her, she blushed at the compliment.

“You’re wonderful yourself Prince Oliver.” She stopped slightly as she realised what she said earning a look from all three gentlemen surrounding her.

“I mean, you are a wonderful dancer yes, wonderful dancer!” She tried to correct herself but realised the damage had already been done. Prince Oliver had a smirk on his face while the other two gave him long glares.

“Excuse me Your Majesty I did not realise you were interested in being a suitor for my daughter.” Lord Samuel had appeared next to Lord Matthew and Lord Serrin, Lilian could tell he was not happy at the intrusion but his head was slightly bowed and a smile was on his face, though his hands were clasped together. Lillian understood, her father had explained to her the importance of body language he was unhappy with what had just happened.

“Apologies Lord Loren, I was unaware of this but your daughter is amazing I could not help myself but to ask her for a dance. Should it not be up to Lady Lillian what she does for herself?” Prince Oliver had not moved from his position next to Lillian, she realised that she did agree to his dance request even though she knew he was unlikely to be a suitor for her. But she could not really refuse him, could she? As much as she hated being passed around like an object frustratingly it was the way of the world around them.

“I very much enjoyed my dance with Prince Oliver, thank you my Lords.” It was not her place but Prince Oliver had been nothing but respectful to her she moved closer to him to show her support to what he had done removing Lord Matthew’s hand from her shoulder. Lord Matthew’s glare softened he understood her stance but her father and Lord Serrin were not happy with her. She looked at Prince Oliver who’s gaze had hardened, she was surprised at how much it changed his demeanor she may have believed the rumours if he had approached her like this. Frustration grew in her thoughts as she looked to the Lords.

“If I want to dance with His Highness I should be able to. I’m not an object to be passed around between people.” She was speaking out of turn she knew it but she needed to get her point across.

“Prince Oliver seems to be the only one here who understands this.” She added hastily her anger was not just for her but how the Prince a guest in their home had been treated when he had done nothing to deserve it.


“William, take Lillian to her room. We’re finished for tonight.” Samuel snapped his fingers quickly a shadow appeared behind Lord Loren as the servant bowed his head in respect to his master.

“Father please!” Lillian called after him but watched as he ignored her walking back to the crowd.

“Apologies everyone, I am afraid I will have to call an end to this wonderful dance I thank you all for attending.” He gave a smile the mask of the charismatic gentleman was back on and she knew she was dismissed.



© 2024 daxelot


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

45 Views
Added on February 28, 2024
Last Updated on February 28, 2024
Tags: Fantasy, Romance, Zaniya, Story


Author

daxelot
daxelot

About
It's Dax :D more..

Writing