The Road

The Road

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
"

Maybe I am a little to philosophical today. to much time to think I guess.

"

  

It is times like this that I am cursed

With too much time on my hands.

To contemplate life’s pains,

Love’s scars,

And laughter’s short lived remedy.

I am left to wonder why

I feel free to go anywhere

Still I never seem to belong.

Was I born in the wrong era?

Is father time really human?

As I look down the road watching

It get smaller and smaller

Till it is nothing and I wonder,

Is that a symbol for how life really is?

What of this road less traveled?

Sure you may find more adventures

And accolades, but at what cost?

Ending up lonely.

Everyday there is a price we pay

To travel down that road…

In the light of day it is easier

To know where we go

And let everyone know who you are

At the risk of getting burned.

Under the cloak of night

You can avoid the dangers around

At the cost of not enjoying

What is in front of your eyes

Or not really being.

Life’s journey has many ironies

That makes fate versus free will

A nonstop debate.

One thing is for certain,

To travel it with someone in your heart

To share it

Is to travel that road paved.

 

© 2009 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I'm sure this is so cliche you'll want to spit, but it reminds me of the classic ... "Two road diverged in a road and I took the one less travelled by and that has made all the difference."

There are so many roads in life. Some are easier than others and some are more painful. But I believe that the rewards are fair and just when you get to the end. Sometimes, it just takes forever to get there. I find myself on a dirt road and while it may be softer, it's harder on my feet. The rocks and bumps and mud keep me struggling. Maybe someday it will be worth it ... and maybe someday it won't be. I'd sure like a paved section!

This is a beautiful piece. I love your questions. I ask things like that all the time. I'm naturally curious. I often feel that I was born in the wrong era as well. It's a curious feeling. Thanks for sharing this. I'm glad I read it today.

One more question ... why DO bugs stick to the ceiling?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think you and are about the same age. Maybe its that which makes us sometimes let our minds wonder to these areas. Two places really stood out for me in this. The first was "I feel free to go anywhere,
Still I never seem to belong". I think at times we all feel this way. And also "As I look down the road watching, It get smaller and smaller" which to me seems like a metphor for opportunities passing with age. Kind of like when you're a kid any thing is possible. You can be a doctor and still be a rock star on the weekends, but as you age you seem happy just to be able to pull the tabs off a band-aid and and work the CD player. Great job!



Posted 14 Years Ago


I'm pretty sure I was born in the wrong era!
Take the scenic route whatever path you choose
and never close your eyes to any possibibly for you
never know what lies just around the bend!

A write to inspire our imagination.
Thank you for sharing!

Peace n Light,
Wicahpi




Posted 14 Years Ago


This is so smart.You are so right about not appreciating what's right in front of us. Time is a healer. It can be too short or too long. We can't control it. It never stops. When we share it with someone we love, time is of no importance as we are probably enjoying ourselves too much, and we go down the road hand in hand with joy in our hearts. But to not have someone, to share it with...time goes so very much slower and this is when we go down the road heavily laden. Deep emotions here Dale. Very beautifully written. Thanks so much.

Babsie Bee xx

Posted 14 Years Ago


I enjoyed this. Many smart lines that leave me pondering "Everyday there is a price we pay", Was I born in the wrong era? and my favorite " fate versus free will A nonstop debate." Wonderful.



Posted 14 Years Ago


Very nice. I think we can all relate. Love the last lines. Excellent write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I like this piece. Reminds me of Frost. Very genius I like the fact the elements more so pick up where he left off. It is not just enough to pick a road but the road whichever on leaves you with questions I think no matter what. Great piece. I like how you can look back over life and see the mistakes and see the heartaches clearly. I sometimes long to be on a different path as well. But I suppose any path you choose will have the same questions. "What if?" The kinda grass is greener on the other side mentality. This is a very classic piece. Very well stated. Sorry for rambling on. I am in a talkative mood today. lol....

Posted 14 Years Ago


yes there are many times when I think we have all asked our self,, what is life and how do I fit in and when is it my turn?? so many questions left unanswered.. I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer.. Life can be boring, complicated, fun, adventuous, messy, stressful,, and all more....... We choose to either change it or accept it,, I have been guilty many times to just exsist.. no that I am riper lol,, I choose to enjoy and really live.. no matter what doors shut in my face. thanks for sharing this and hearing my ramble..

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I hear ya, sometimes I feel like Im traveling on a interstate or in heavy traffic! The best days is when Im on back roads just taking in the scenery! You have to watch the back roads though, they are bumpier and are traveled easier when you have a second set of eyes.

I love it!
-Jamie

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Dale...you certainly are in a philosophical mood as indicated by the depth of your revelations of intense emotions in this piece.

At first glance, and read, I took it as such a "down" write, but you do indicate hope in the end, and that is inspiring as in spite of all the objections, disappointments, and heartache you are still searching for and believing that good shall come!...the positive aspects of life!

You have been able to relate you feelings in a way that shall surely touch the heart and spirit of each reader. It certainly has me as I can relate to so very much of what you say! There are those times when I just want to say, "I am finished", but life marches on, and on, and on....with tears, laughs, disappointments, and dreams come true. It is the dreams come true that I am holding onto!

PLEASE DO THE SAME!!


Posted 14 Years Ago


This is a beautiful and melancholy piece. While it ends on a very positive note, we are given a sense of how time changes how we look at life � more specifically our own lives � and how experience colors our perception. It reminds me in many ways of Bob Seger's "Night Moves" � a haunting piece � beautifully written.

You've created yet another thoughtful piece filled that leaves us reflecting on our own journeys and our own choices. Excellent work.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

719 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 26, 2009
Last Updated on August 26, 2009

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing