My Beating Heart

My Beating Heart

A Poem by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

  

Be still my beating heart

Don’t make a sound

For if we are heard

By those who follow

We are assured

To never find

The rhythm of life again.

 

Be careful my beating heart

And keep it down

For now we must let

The silence be our friend

So we can learn

From the sounds of love

Shattering around us.

 

Be gentle my beating heart

When whispering

To those you care about

Because too many times

Before your irregular beat

Was tou much

For them to understand.

 

Oh be still my beating heart

For maybe if we play dead

Then we might just live forever.

© 2009 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The power, or subtle nature of a beating heart may surely determine the fate of a lover's dream. Be still, or surge on, or refrain from being irregular in action....so many thoughts to ponder in your write of love!
Well thought out, and written!!

I like the lines:

Be still my gentle heart
when whispering to those
you care about

This is such a lovely thought!

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This reminded me of The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe. It's not scary or dark, but it has the consistency of the beating heart that is heard in every line, even though you're telling it to be still, to be quiet ... to not give you away. Of course, it's very different ... just reminded me of a recording we listened to in high school that had the sound of the heart in the background.

To me, this is about love and though you love so deeply and passionately, you are afraid of letting it show because you might just be rejected.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read and read this because each time I found something new! You write about the heart's beat as if you understand every touch of loving there is, its rhythm, heartbreak, tears and smiles.

Somehow your poetry reaches out, makes readers feel they're part of an extraordinary mystery ..' For now we must let .. The silence be our friend .. So we can learn '. Yes, I know that goes on but those words could mean that love can be a teacher or student but, because loving is personal, it has to be learned by experience.

If we told people not to fall in love, not to love, not to feel love in order to protect them, they'd never know the greatest emotion of all. If hurting has to be avoided at all costs, then even the smallest smattering of love will be missed too, and then, dear friend, we become stone, cold and inanimate.

Such a thought-provoking post, Dale .. though I do dislike that phrase .. let's say your words make us think and feel and, that's what counts.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I signed in to review this, saw it top writes and had to sign in after reading it. Your message is very strong. I think I'm at the point in life that I'm wondering if I played dead for so long that I actually believe it. I mean sometimes I feel like being in love would be nice, but then I think of all the pain that comes with it and I freeze, then eventually, I go back to what woks for me, I play dead until I'm actually numb. Then every now and then I think about love again and the cycle continues but the truth of the matter is- I do it to survive. Just like this poem.

I loved it. Another fave!!!


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

WOOOWOWOWOWOWEEEEEE LOL

I absolutly love this,,,, what a wonderful write,, omg,, I can so relate to this, this is one of those poems where you can interpet it in many different ways,, bravo!! this was just what the doctor ordered for me!!

thanks for sharing this will all of us,, you did great!!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very very strong. Lovely piece of writing.
"Quiet down that beating heart with its wild rhythms. Others can't stand to beat to the same intensity."
Probably my favorite lines.. hard to pick my favorite lol. Thanks for the read :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like this. It is powerful and sweet. I really like the lines "For maybe if we play dead, Then we might just live forever." It's everybodys dream to have a love that will last forever.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh this is great! Love can be such pain.. the price to having a big sensitive heart is it can be hurt so much. People with high sensitivity inside.. are sometimes mistaken if those feelings become irrational or touchy.. others can get confused. There is a balance of heart and mind.. as well as everything else in life that needs to be balanced around us while dating. The irregular heartbeat.. being too much for others to understand.. as the painful side of love can truly only be understood by the person who is actually been hurt. Everyone's reactions are different to that pain.. but I am sure many can relate to your words. Hurtful things can happen in those times.. actions may not appear loving and can be very unbalanced if life becomes too involved with that love.

For people who love freely or so intensely.. slow and steady is the only way to go.. it still doesn't guarantee success though! The genuine feeling of hiding exists in the ending.. playing dead .. I wonder how many do this? Or just avoid high passion in relationships .. perhaps dating those that will hurt them less. For me great friendship must exist at the base of a partnership.. as that is the most important part.. searching for beauty that is only skin deep will cause pain..communication and respect are both huge! How nice it would be to have love and passion without the pain! Your words certainly are understood here.. I sometimes wonder if everyone isn't irregular and some are just better at hiding it! Anxiety can develop over time towards relationships.. especially if one feels let down again and again. Love can not be achieved through desperation.. I hope you find someone with the patience to understand and respect your heart as well as anyone else out there struggling and feeling this.. as I have been there! I loved the honesty of your emotions pouring.. honesty is very big! =)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i love this piece. the secretiveness, the gentleness of it. that last stanza is brilliant. playing dead, so maybe your heart won't be broken. a wonderful piece here, going in my favorites.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very strong message here. If only our hearts were in rythm with our head at all times....we would do everything that was right. If we could talk to our heart and tell it when to beat faster or not...it would tell us to be quiet and let it get on with it's work....lol Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. It's a brill piece.
I think you have a huge heart.
Babs ie Bee xx

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I am just amazed at this tender, loving poem. It flowed so sweetly and the message is wonderful. You did a fine job on this piece Cowboy..

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1359 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on September 22, 2009
Last Updated on September 23, 2009

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..