street beat

street beat

A Story by danielle mrkw
"

a silly story based loosely on a true poll. written in '05

"

Kara ran a hand through her hair, gave a small, "Ahem," and looked at the camera man.

"That thing on, yet?  Are we ready to go?" she asked.

The camera man gave a nod and a thumbs-up.

"We are here today on the main street of Crossville, Illinios, to ask the people of Middle America a few questions that reflect the way we think today," Kara pointed her mic in the direction of the woman next to her. "This is Mrs. Robbins.  How are you today Mrs. Robbins?"

"I am just great, young lady,"  the gray haired woman replied.

"Now, Mrs. Robbins, let me first ask you, what do you think about our current president, George W. Bush?"

The gray-haired lady gave a big smile.  "Well, I think he's alright.  He's not doing too well handling the budget, but there is a war goin' on, and that is enough stress for anyone, right?"

"Do you agree with Bush on the issues of the war?"

"Well, I think it is important to stand behind our troops 100%, and he did get Sadam out of there."

"O.K., well, do you think the troops still need to be over there?"

"I hope they come home soon, but whatever.  They are just doing their jobs."

"Let me read you a statement.  Then you tell me your opinions."

"Alright."

Kara looked into the camera, and recited the Declaration of Independence.  When she got to the part where the document declared that the people of a country had the right to revolt and rearrange a government, she saw Mrs. Robbins visibly flinch.  She finished reading, and turned to Mrs. Robbins.

"Do you agree with this document, or do you disagree?"

"Oh, my!  Who wrote that filth?  Why would someone think that revolting against the government would be an o.k. thing to do?  Is this an antichrist document?"

"I think you mean 'an anarchist' document?"

"Yeah, sure, anti-christ, too."

Kara looked at the camera with a knowing look, and said, "So if the people of our country don't agree with what is going on in our government and states, then you don't agree with this statement that they have the right to change it?"

"If people of America don't like America, then they should just move to France or something!"

"So you're saying that to demand a change in the way our government is run would be anti-American?"

"Yep...If people revolted against America, the next thing we'd know we'd be a communist country!" 

Kara fought off a chuckle.  "Okay, ma'am, thank-you for your wonderful insight."  Kara walked toward her next interviewee, and repeated the same questions.  She got close to the same answers.  Everyone she interviewed, save two or three people, had the same thing to say.  They didn't agree with the Declaration of Independence.  A few were smart enough to recognize it and demand change in America, but most were as bamboozled by the government as the people in Cuba.  She asked a couple of people about the right to free speech, and they mostly agreed that the President could "use his right to suppress" anything that was Anti-American, or, in other words, Anti-Bush.

Kara looked into the camera one final time after her interviews were done, "The people of Middle America have spoken.  They don't think that we had the right to revolt against England.  They think we should have just taken our licks and kept on, right?  Average Americans, at least around here, don't think we have the right or the power to change things in this country.  Now I ask you, viewers, are you of the same persuasion?  Or do you believe we have the power to change things?  Keep the Declaration of Independence as close to your heart as you do your Bibles and Korans!  We have the power!  Get out and vote!  Band together, and don't be a bunch of sissies.  Run your own lives!  Change corruption, and keep America free!  It is what got us here in the first place!!!  This is Kara Evanston, reporting live from Middle America."

© 2009 danielle mrkw


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on October 20, 2009

Author

danielle mrkw
danielle mrkw

Oceanside, CA



About
Was here long, long ago... now I am back... more..

Writing