two...an ironic tale

two...an ironic tale

A Chapter by danielle mrkw
"

next lackluster installment of Sporadic Journal

"

  I think I shall tell you the funny little tale of the deaf and the mute next. I think it is funny, anyway.

  So I am one of those people who have perused electronic dating sites. Completely boring, but every once in a while, out of the blue, someone happens to pop up that is at least not scared to meet. Sometimes they're cool, other times they're just not quite right. Or maybe I should say that at times I am not quite right.

  So begins our tale on a semi late Saturday night on ye ole dating site. An IM pops up. I read. It is some guy, who decides he wants to meet after a few minutes.

  "Sure," I write him, but it will have to be in a while because I have to get my kids in bed. "Okay," he replies. "Let's go to the bar..."  O_o  OK, sure.

After a while I am ready to go out to drink with strangers, albeit a rather plain me. But hey, I wasn't going out to meet someone spectacular, just someone to see if they were cool to drink with. In all honesty, if he was someone special, he wouldn't have cared that I didn't take my hair down for a date.  But I get ahead of myself.

  On my way, he texts me...."Meet me at starbucks inside Barnes and Noble instead.."   Hmmmm, I raise my eyebrows to myself and smirk, but oh-kay!

  So I walk into Barnes and Noble, and what is the first thing I see? Catcher in the Rye. Stupid f*****g Catcher In The Rye. right now, you wonder why i curse the sight of this book right away, but you will learn soon, I promise. But for now, just know that I cursed this book, then grabbed it and went straight to the checkout counter.  Then I go back to trying to pick out my quasi-"date."

  Over walks this guy, and I wave. He kind of eyeballs me, and then starts to say hi.

  "Hi...." I hear the raspiest quietest voice I have ever heard, and all of a sudden I notice the scar on his neck.  He can't talk loudly. For very good reasons, that I won't share here at all, I will call him the mute.

  He orders me a coffee, and although it isn't alcohol, I am still grateful. We walk aimlessly around for a few minutes, and then I notice that there is a patio nearby, with it's chairs stacked neatly by the fence. One chair has a guy sitting in it, and the two others next to him were empty. So I, like the boneheaded dirty blonde I am, I grab the chairs and try to yank them closer to the tables so we can sit. The guy sitting in the chair nearby starts to chuckle. I look at him puzzled, wondering what dumb stupid s**t I am doing now, 'cause i am very good at doing dumb stupid s**t all the time, and he tells me, almost chocking, "The chairs are locked down!"

 I look over at the mute and grin, and he glowers at me and says, "I tried to tell you that..." He was so embarrassed. I felt so bad. Little does he know, I am almost completely deaf in one ear. That's why I am the deaf.

So we walk around for a minute more, and squeaks, "Well, Danielle, it was nice to meet you and you're a nice girl and all, but this just isn't working."  With that he walks away. And I burst into giggles.  Oh my God! That was awkward. But it did give me a neat story to tell.

  Besides, something better came along less than twenty four hours later. That is for another day.



© 2009 danielle mrkw


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
Added on October 21, 2009


Author

danielle mrkw
danielle mrkw

Oceanside, CA



About
Was here long, long ago... now I am back... more..

Writing