Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Very Human

Very Human

A Chapter by samwise.

“I just want to talk to him,” Michael could her Nexia’s begging voice as he rounded the corner.

Why would she be here? he wondered. He’d never seen her near the prison before. Her back was to him as he approached.

“I’m not going to set him free or anything,” she argued, “I just really need to speak with him!”

“I can’t,” the guard told her.

“I’ll handle it,” Michael said, dismissing the guard with a wave of his hand. Nexia glanced back at him, and then quickly turned to watch the guard’s retreating back.

“Of course you listen to him,” she muttered.

Michael waited for the guard to be out of earshot before he spoke. Nexia kept her back to him, and her shoulders tensed.

“What are you doing here?” he questioned her.

“I’m not sure,” she said. She turned around and faced him. The whites of her eyes were streaked with red blood vessels, and her lips were shaking. He’d never seen her like this before, so weakened and terrified. “I have a feeling,” she said, knowing Michael wouldn’t really understand. “I just really need to get in there. Please.”

Surprisingly, Michael walked over to the cell door and slowly pulled it open, never taking his eyes off Nexia. He caught her wrist as she walked by him. “Careful,” he warned.

She nodded and walked in. Michael closed the door behind her. She walked in hesitantly. What am I doing here? The room was dark and cold, and the ceiling was too high up for her to see. She looked around until her eyes landed on a figure huddled in the corner. He was warped in a tattered blanket, and he was hugging his knees close to his body. He started shaking when he saw her.

“It’s okay,” she said, kneeling in front of him. “I won’t hurt you.”

His eyes kept shifting from the ground to her face. She caught his gaze and held it until he stopped moving his eyes. His hair was golden and speckled with dirt, his skin looked sickly pale, and his honey eyes looked dead and dull. His face was bruised and bloody.

“I’m Nexia.”

“I know,” he immediately said.

Nexia bit her lip, and didn’t speak.

“Why are you in here?” she finally asked him.

“Because I loved a human too much,” he said, as he convulsed. “I disobeyed direct orders. And I’m not sorry.”

Nexia placed her palm on the side of the angel’s face in an attempt at comfort. He leaned into it, and stopped shaking. His face started to heal, but their was no relief in his eyes.

“It’ll be okay,” she said, although they both knew she was lying.

“Please go now,” he told her as he reverted his gaze and moved away from her touch.

She crossed the room quickly, and tapped lightly on the door for Michael to let her out. She stepped out, and walked down the hall without a word. He watched her retreat, not daring to go after her.

He went to her later. She was sitting on the foot of her bed in darkness. When he sat down next to her, she spoke.

“You know, I think your job is harder than mine,” she grumbled as she flopped back on the bed. “It’s not really fair, is it?” she continued. “I don’t think I could live without love,” she told him seriously.

“Angels do love,” Michael interrupted abruptly.

“I know. You love your father and your family, but that’s not what I mean, Michael,” her voice cracked as she spoke.

“I’d rather die than never have loved or love again,” she told him. “I know you can’t possibly understand this. But I need that kind of love"I need to kiss and touch.”

“You, ” Michael sighed loudly, “are very complicated.”

“No. I’m very human,” she laughed bitterly.


© 2011 samwise.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on June 27, 2011
Last Updated on June 27, 2011


Author

samwise.
samwise.

Hobbiton, CT



About
"Give me sweet lies, and keep your bitter truths." I adore reading and writing and make-believing. And, in true American fashion, I love baseball more than god. more..

Writing
Little Nymph Little Nymph

A Story by samwise.