In Disguise

In Disguise

A Poem by Denise
"

Do we really know anyone if what we do is hide behind false happiness?

"
Smile wide, winsome smile
No one sees the real, the real me
Smile bright, teeth flash
Pain reflects only, only in eyes downcast

Build a facade, fortify a front
Bury the hurt, bury yourself inside
Live the dream, the dream others see
Live the life not meant to be

Break the mirrors to avoid the stare
The stare of the one who wants to care
Hide from prying eyes, eyes bleeding in reflection
Burning inside, a burning infection

Weep alone so no one sees
No one sees but me
Tears splash down silently, rivers
Flood the face, praying for a saving grace

Smile wide, winsome smile
No one knows, knows the real me.

© 2011 Denise


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

very good way of capturing a lot of human emotion, very well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It is hard to know what one thinks behind a smile or frown. I know often when I feel bad I force myself to smile but more importantly I make a choice to feel happy. I believe happiness comes from inside of us and not from outside of us. Even when times are bad it is possible to tap into a happy place inside and let that be projected out to others. It is what gives us part of our character.

On another note I found your poem to be very good, it is like wearing a mask as we are traditional private people and do not want others to see us hurt or in a weakened or defeated mind set so we hide and play make believe with our feelings. In doing so we cut off any outside help from others and this adds to our sorrow because then we feel alone with our problems. Beautiful work in bringing out these emotions. Excellent write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Love poems filled with human feelings, like this one, which is a fine example of just that. Sharing with the world our most intimate feelings is hard to do, and yet you have done so here..in fine form, and easy to understand terms.
I enjoyed reading this poem.

"Why should the world be over-wise,
In counting all our tears and sighs?
Nay, let them only see us, while
We wear the mask."
(Paul L. Dunbar..from "We Wear The Mask")

Thanks for the peak under yours.


Posted 13 Years Ago


ah yes that smile commonly refered to as the 'brave' smile . a look into the heart behind such masks ~ great writing

Posted 13 Years Ago


Ahh now I do hiding quite well except for my poetry. If you want to know how I really feel then read a poem of mine. I can relate to this poem easily and the imagery you use allows me to picture this in my mind.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You've captured the pain and the loneliness of being someone you're not very well here, Denise. I'm wondering if this was inspire by Smokey Robinson's "Tears of a Clown". Your poem is just as poignant and moving. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It seems that when we live this way it is ourselves we are trying to fool. People are pretty perceptive, and for the most part will figure the fake out, but it never stops some from trying. I do think that we are different people around the different groups of people we hang out with, but this is just because different folks bring out the different strokes in us. As for true friends, they are come and go, but the very rare ones are around for life...

Nice Write!
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 13 Years Ago


I am no longer afraid to let people know me. It is none of my business what others think of me. that said, there are only a few 'to the end friends'. I like this poem, personal and well written. 'Live the life not meant to be' is a very sad line.

Muy bueno!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

285 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 13, 2011

Author

Denise
Denise

Williamsport, PA



About
I'm still quite new to the writing world other than the fact I enjoyed and excelled at English through my years of school and college. I mostly just write poetry because of my scattered mind and deep .. more..

Writing
Deprived Deprived

A Poem by Denise


Saving Grace Saving Grace

A Poem by Denise



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


London's Burning.. London's Burning..

A Poem by .