A Principled Conundrum

A Principled Conundrum

A Story by D.E. Walters

Lost in scrambled, incoherent thoughts, he stood at the bus stop waiting for the number twelve oblivious to the rain or anything else going on around him.  The shower had been falling steadily for more than half an hour soaking through his trench coat and pants.  Water flowed down the bridge of his nose cascading over the tip in a waterfall of droplets that fell, dive bombing his patent leather shoes.

Only two hours earlier he’d been informed that the company had eliminated his position.  He’d just sat there, staring past the man behind the desk in stunned silence, the words not quite registering.  Seventeen years he’d been with the company, bustin’ his a*s to climb the almighty corporate ladder.  He’d finally gotten the promotion to Director less than six months ago. 

It wasn’t until he felt a gentle shaking of his shoulder that he realized his supervisor was standing next to him.

“George?  Are you alright?”

“Uh…wha…oh…yeah, I’m ok.  Just wasn’t expecting…”

“I know George.  I want you to know I’m more than willing to write you a letter of  recommendation.”

“Thanks Bob.  I…uh…I appreciate that.”  The numb feeling in George’s brain was wearing off and realization started to set in.  He was out of a job; and at the worst possible time too.  What was he going to tell his wife?

A low rumble and squeal of metal on metal brought George out of his trance as the bus slowly pulled up to the stop.  He fished into his pocket pulling out his pass and flashing it to the driver, he stepped onto the bus and worked his way toward the seats in the back.

He dropped into an empty aisle seat not bothering to shake the excess water from his jacket and placed his briefcase and box of personal things from his desk onto the empty window seat next to him.  The briefcase tilted forward, the box on top of it sliding toward the edge threatening to regurgitate its contents.  He stopped the forward progress of the laden down box with his right hand and scowled, forehead creasing to form an impressive unibrow.

George stood up and lifted the box/briefcase pile revealing a thick, dark brown leather billfold.  He set his burden down in the seat he’d just vacated and stared down at the window seat’s contents.  Looking around nervously he reached down and picked up the billfold quickly taking his seat.  For several seconds he sat there staring straight ahead, the billfold hidden under slightly shaky hands on his lap.

The bus started moving and George, taking one final glance around the bus, lifted his hands revealing the billfold.  He noticed that the leather had been tooled.  It looked slightly worn and very expensive.  The kind of wallet you’d expect some corporate executive type to carry.  A pang of grief followed by a flash of anger crossed his face before he could stop it.  He struggled to control his emotions, closing his eyes and taking several deep breaths before opening his eyes again.

He looked around the bus noting how empty it was.  Of course, it was the middle of the morning.  Most people were still at work.  Only a young woman sat at the front of the bus alongside her toddler son.  She was telling him all about the different places as the bus passed by on its perpetual journey through town.

George looked down at the wallet again.  What he should do is find out whose it was and return it.  But, was it really his responsibility?  And what if there was money it?  He was going to need as much money as he could get his hands on now.  Billy just got braces a few months ago and the payments weren’t cheap.  Plus, the new furniture they’d gotten for Christmas, while on a payment plan that didn’t require them to start paying for another six months or so, were going to put a hefty strain on their finances.  He decided that he would take a look first.  So, he steeled himself and opened the billfold.

Inside he found the usual, a driver’s license, a few credit cards, several business cards, and a couple of Food Cart punch cards, all in neat little pockets down the left hand side.  The right side was a pocket for holding paper money or checks, maybe receipts.

The bus came to a stop, letting the young woman and her son off.  George looked out the window and noted the Park and Ride lot.  Not quite halfway home yet.  No one got onto the bus, the doors closed and it started moving again.

George’s lap was hidden behind the barrier just behind the steps to the rear doors.  He looked down again, pulling the contents of the pouch on the right side of the billfold.  A small stack of greenbacks slid out atop what looked like a check and a couple of receipts.  There were several hundred dollar bills in the stack of cash.  He looked up and blew out a cleansing breath to help calm his nerves.

Why was he so nervous?  He shouldn’t be nervous.  He found the wallet on the bus.  Nobody could claim that he stole it or anything.  So why was he sweating?  And why were his hands trembling?

He closed the billfold and put it in an inside pocket of his trench coat.  It’s not mine, he thought.  No matter how bad it gets, I can’t take something that isn’t mine.  I’ll look up the name on the driver’s license when I get home and return the wallet intact.

The rest of the bus ride home was uneventful.  He walked the few blocks from the bus stop to his house with his head down, shoulders hunched against the wind and rain.  He stopped at the intersection of the sidewalk and the path to his front door staring, tears poised to mingle with rain trickling down his face.  His hand caressed the soft, smooth leather wallet inside his coat pocket.

After several minutes he straightened his back, steeled himself and with a proud, if not completely confident, stride, headed up the walk.  When he got to the door, he paused for only a moment, nodded his head then opened it and went inside.

 

The End

© 2013 D.E. Walters


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i've found many things, many times in my life. once i even found a valet with money and a lottery ticket inside (no driver's license, no winning either) and only a couple of times had the chance to return or even meet the person who lost them.
i think, everybody should lose and have returned some of theirs and find/return important lost items to someone else to complete their experience of life.
- definitely thought provoking

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i've found many things, many times in my life. once i even found a valet with money and a lottery ticket inside (no driver's license, no winning either) and only a couple of times had the chance to return or even meet the person who lost them.
i think, everybody should lose and have returned some of theirs and find/return important lost items to someone else to complete their experience of life.
- definitely thought provoking

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Loved the description, with an interesting imaginary, very well written, george seems very lost...great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Really liked this. Well written..very descriptive. I could visualize the scenes as I read and you know how important that is to me. If a story transports you into it then you have something there. Like the moral question at the heart of it.... what would any of us do in his shoes?? Good job old friend!!! ;-D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

That was a very well written story. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hi DE.... this was so well written and held my attention .... I like the moral dilemma of George and the despair that he is feeling over his job, money and family...... I know I can relate and that makes the reader more sympathetic to the character. I really enjoyed this... thank you for the add request . :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2013
Last Updated on February 5, 2013

Author

D.E. Walters
D.E. Walters

OR



About
An aspiring writer of multiple genres. Looking for encouragement and inspiration. Always open to constructive criticism and willing to return the same. I write all types of fiction from short sto.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by D.E. Walters


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by D.E. Walters



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Book The Book

A Poem by Jack...