Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by D.E. Walters

“Life is like a box of chocolates,” came out in a slow southern drawl from the T.V.
Yeah right!  More like a box of sour gummy worms.
I reached into the bucket pulling out a wad of popcorn and stuffed it unceremoniously into my maw.  A river of molten butter cut a path through the forest that masqueraded as my beard on its way to the growing pool on my belly.
The phone rang and it rained hot buttered popcorn all over my woefully inadequate sitting room.  I glared at the phone from an awkwardly uncomfortable position, stabbing a look at the clock.
Who the hell is calling me at three o’clock in the morning?  The phone kept ringing.
“Alright!  Alright already!  Keep your shirt on!”
I managed to right myself enough to push up out of the chair and lumber over to the wailing device now contributing to a growing headache pounding its way up the back of my head.  Picking up the receiver with a bit too much force, the phone base tumbled to the floor like a boulder.  I bellowed into the phone, “What?!?”
A quiet, shaky, semi-controlled voice answered questioningly, “Eddie?”
“Gina?  Is that you?”
“Ye…yes.”  Gina rushed on before I could get an apology out.  “Eddie…I need your help!”
“You need my help?  Whatever with?”  
She paused for several seconds.
My sleep deprived male hormones kicked my brain and my eyes went wide.  “I’ll be right over,” I said a bit too fast and enthusiastically.
“I don’t need you for that you dolt!”
The frozen gears of my brain creaked and groaned to life forcing common sense to overcome the suddenly raging hormones.
“For what then?”  My retorts are so witty.
Gina sighed.  “Look, I…I just need you to give me a ride down to the station.  Ok?”
I rubbed my forehead scrunching my eyes as I fought off the cobweb infected confusion that was threatening to devour what passed as my brain.  “You need me to take you down to the station?  What for?  Going somewhere?”
“I…I can’t tell you.  Look can you help me or not?  I don’t have a lot of time.”  She sounded scared.
I looked over at the T.V. and the popcorn littered floor, and figured what the hell.  I couldn’t sleep anyway.
“Yeah, sure.  Why not?  Where are you?”
“At my apartment.”
“Ok.  Give me about 20 minutes.”
“Alright,” she paused.  Then, in a more relaxed, relieved voice, “and thanks Eddie.”  We said goodbye and she hung up.
I picked up the phone base and hung the receiver up placing the phone back on the end table as I surveyed my living room again.  Gina’s place was a little over fifteen minutes away so I needed to get going if I was going to get there when I told her I would.
I dusted off the old reliable excuse; I’ll take care of it tomorrow, as I headed for the door.
My coat, a knee length tweed I’d picked up at Goodwill, hung on the wall rack just inside the doorway.  Next to it hung the holster that housed my trusty police issue .38, Ol’ Bessie.
Bes and I’ve been through a lot together.  Seen a lot of strange things, me and Bes, but she always made sure I came home alive.
I grabbed the holster swinging it around my back, my left arm sliding through the sling with practiced ease, my right hand catching the lower strap and snapping it in place.  I shimmied my coat on as the apartment door clicked shut behind me.  Locking the deadbolt, I turned and kicked at a stray cat on the porch making my way to my car parked on the street.  I couldn’t afford a place with a driveway, let alone garage.
Lifting the collar of my coat against the driving wind and rain, I broke into a jog hoping to get to the relative safety of the car before I was soaked to the proverbial bone.  I yanked hard on the car door until it opened in loud complaint and I dropped unceremoniously into the driver’s seat slamming it shut behind me.
My car isn’t exactly a chick magnet.  Da Bomb, as it was not so affectionately referred to by my so called friends, is a brown 1972 Datsun B210.  The twenty nine dollar radio was installed by yours truly and the heater works intermittently, usually on hot days.  But it runs reliably, is easy to work on and, best of all, it’s paid for.
The car sputtered to life and I pulled away from the curb absentmindedly remembering to turn on the headlights.


© 2013 D.E. Walters


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this story and would love to know where it is going. Why did Gina call? What is the history between him and Gina? I hope you update though I realize I am posting this review 2 years after you wrote this.

Posted 8 Years Ago


very nice opening..and very good followed idea...

Posted 10 Years Ago


it's very suspenseful, and by now the reader is so eager to find out where it's going. it's a great opening scene.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Loved how the story opened "More like a box of sour gummy worms." anyway great first chapter...really enjoyed this

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed this. At first, I pictured Eddie as a slobbernly lowlife. Towards the end, I started to see him as a man who never gets a moment to just relax! Not sure which way is correct, but you have a great opening chapter here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice opening and funny...Am eager to read on......

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Okay you've got my interest peaked.....i want more!!! Great opening and i like the characters humor. Keep it flowing...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2013


Author

D.E. Walters
D.E. Walters

OR



About
An aspiring writer of multiple genres. Looking for encouragement and inspiration. Always open to constructive criticism and willing to return the same. I write all types of fiction from short sto.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by D.E. Walters



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


New Primitives New Primitives

A Poem by Mark