RESOLVE

RESOLVE

A Story by Duane Klinger
"

A small freewrite inspired by the beautiful weather and lovely mother nature

"

Resolve a freewrite by Maxwell Kline

He moves slowly, this small creature. His feet carry him mechanically. Long ago he abandoned the idea of thought, preferring instead simple calamitous instinct. Left. Right.

 

Beneath his feet the ground, spiderwebbed with the first touches of destruction. So large this world. And he, so small, so miniscule. Occasionally he dreams, but he let it be only that. To chase a dream in such a large world. . .why, it was a mere impossibility. He had a job, as most did. A simple daily routine. Day in day out. Mechanically. He did not stray from it. Not far anyway.

 

He feels nothing and yet everything at once as he looks skyward. All is blue, touched with the occasional intermittent tendril of whiteness, but mostly just blue. An endless ocean of ethereal nothingness. So easily seen and yet untouchable. Unattainable.

Beyond that, he hears, is a world like no other. A utopia. But also, they tell him, it's a wonderful world that he should simply forget about. Such a small specimen could never make it. And yet. . .

 

He straightens himself up. Slowly, he makes his ascent.

 

Such a small creature, the ant atop spiderwebbed glass. So miniscule, this lonely creature climbing the blue umbrella.

© 2011 Duane Klinger


Author's Note

Duane Klinger
I was inspired by an ant on the patio table (not actually cracked, just a fog glass design) as he climbed the umbrella pole toward the blue umbrella above. It reminded me of our plight to acheive higher things and to finally reach the utopia above. God Bless.
MKLINE

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"idea of though" I'm not sure what you meant here.
"prefering" = preferring
"withthe" Should be a space between.
"ohter" = "other"
"it" = "it's"

I loved this! I also love the wording, basically the words you chose and how you used them, and such a great subject for a story! Brilliant!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nicely written. I see a personality in this ant, and a glimpse of your soul too, I think.

Posted 12 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TJ
this was pretty good! no matter your station in life, no matter what THEY say to you, shoot for the stars because theyre there for you totake!
strong message in few words! way to take simple inspiration and make it into something great!
Good work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ah the message of ant to a god, and a god to a child, reminds me of a saying I once read in some obscure novel, "Beneath each writer is a ghost of greatness, sometimes the ghost possesses the hand", well done, great read.

Posted 12 Years Ago


completely original. inspiration can come from anything.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I felt that you might have felt something in common with this little ant when you decided to write for him. It is a wonderful piece. The only confusion I had was that while I was reading it, I was thinking it was you!! It wasn't until I read your note that I realized you were talking about an ant >.< Perhaps you could suggest six feet or a segmented torso or a twitching antennae to pull the reader off the beaten path?
All in all, fabulous. I really liked this one!

Posted 12 Years Ago


LOL ANT ON THE PATIO TABLE? THAT'S JUST PURE GENIUS! SUPER CREATIVE AS WELL. IT'S FUNNY HOW INSPIRATION COMES FROM THE LITTLEST MOST UNUSUAL THINGS. GREAT STUFF!

Posted 12 Years Ago


"idea of though" I'm not sure what you meant here.
"prefering" = preferring
"withthe" Should be a space between.
"ohter" = "other"
"it" = "it's"

I loved this! I also love the wording, basically the words you chose and how you used them, and such a great subject for a story! Brilliant!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

429 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 13, 2011
Last Updated on May 14, 2011

Author

Duane Klinger
Duane Klinger

Pierceton, IN



About
"You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why Not?'" -George Bernard Shaw I was born Dewey Klinger, pen name Maxwell Kine. I've been writing since I was .. more..

Writing