Ghost in You

Ghost in You

A Poem by The Analog Kid
"

The poem is not about the song. The song came to me at the ending stanza. Great song nonetheless. I decided to use a line from it and in the title, but choose different music to accompany it.

"

You gotta love dreams

that you understand

as far as the ones

that had meaning

in your life

 

yet isn’t it bizarre

when you wake up

before dawn

with your heart

pounding as if

you were back in

seventh grade

 

she was just about

to rock your world

and then some jerk

on a Harley or

a damn garbage truck

breaks your slumber

 

that will teach you

to make fun

of a blonde girl

with a slight overbite

that you secretly love

 

and when you finally

ask her out

and she says “no”

you may not

realize it then

 

but when you

reach almost forty

years of age

you will

because the ghost

in you

she won’t fade…

 

 

© 2016 The Analog Kid


Author's Note

The Analog Kid

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You do some of your most evocative work when you mine very intimate details for the truths in them. The dream here creates a spell encompassing both a distance and an immediacy that's very compelling. I like especially the fine description of the girl and the making fun and subsequent rejection. It's funny how we find ourselves at this age with almost shimmering recollections of times like seventh grade. Reminds us there's still lots to learn. Well done AK!... and great song. The perfect vintage. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

OOOh I so can relate to this poem. Know those dreams all too well and know that ghost that still haunts our deepest psyche and won't dissipate. That is what got me into trouble with Ice Princess. This is done with clear understanding and I so hate it when I am woke up for a wonderful dream. usually mine is my dad vacuuming the floor at midnight when he get home from work. lol

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice how this softly and sympathetically recalls how missed opportunities haunt you from the past, no matter how inconsequential they may have seemed over the years. As with the poem, the romance of this is quite haunting (inevitably) and similar moments in my own life were alive to me come the end. Perhaps the paths we didn't take in life somehow take on their own life in the subconscious (in an obscure way), as if the mere thought of considering that path creates a dream world that exists there all the same as if we had lived it.
Reminds me of a line in the film "Citizen Kane" where, as an old man, the character Bernstein attests how it is surprising the things you remember.. (for aficionados I apologise for any mis-quoting) "I remember back in 1903 I saw a girl getting on the Jersey ferry. She was wearing a blue dress, and carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for a second. She didn't see me at all. But I don't think a month has passed since that day when I haven't thought about that girl..."

PS. I never cared much for Foreigner but this song was rather smooth and atmospheric. Suits the poem.

Posted 13 Years Ago


very realistic portrayal of our regrets over the "could have beens"
well written.. this one hits the heart

(and now i DO have the title song stuck in my head lol.. at least it's a good one)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great! I think most people can definitely relate to and feel what's expressed so well here... the coulda/shoulda been.

Posted 13 Years Ago


That was a great peice of our haunting shadows or past, Awesome job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Been there, done that. Get many a dream like that, but mostly about my Ex. Great job, well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


yes why is it we get woken at the best part of a dream but no one disturbed you in the middle of a nightmare... I like this... a very tongue in cheek piece bout regrets and life lessons.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Aw, thats sad. I love the poem though, it's got a truth to it. I love the feel of the words and emotions. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You do some of your most evocative work when you mine very intimate details for the truths in them. The dream here creates a spell encompassing both a distance and an immediacy that's very compelling. I like especially the fine description of the girl and the making fun and subsequent rejection. It's funny how we find ourselves at this age with almost shimmering recollections of times like seventh grade. Reminds us there's still lots to learn. Well done AK!... and great song. The perfect vintage. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
19 Reviews
Added on October 24, 2010
Last Updated on September 15, 2016

Author

The Analog Kid
The Analog Kid

Allentown, PA



About
Joined: Jul 5, 2008 ******************************************************************** This is the poem of a friend that I find to be exceptional: The Seventh Thread Intermingle.. more..

Writing
Son Son

A Poem by The Analog Kid


ty ty

A Poem by The Analog Kid