Half Full

Half Full

A Story by dillonjensen
"

Not a story, but I didn't feel like creating an entire book for this entry. I suppose you could call this a deep exploration into the mind of Dillon Jensen (feels weird writing in third person, haha).

"
     "Perfect" is a personification of a way of life. It might not truly exist, but there's no reason it can't be so for your reality. This is called 'perspective', and it changes worlds. The way we view things can have a detrimental effect on the way we live and on the human psyche itself. In writing this piece, my intentions were not to tell people how to live their lives, they were more so aimed at explaining why some folks choose to see that 'glass' as half full.
     Speaking strictly from personal experience, living in the shadows of the day as well as seeing each day as a wasted opportunity, is not exactly the most spectacular view on life. It took me quite a while and some bumps and bruises along the way to figure out that life is truly beautiful. More often then not, only in the depths of despair do we see what we have in front of us. A sad and cold truth that is. Why is it that so many people become blind to the things that will lead them to that life they so crave? That dream job, the house with the white picket fence, and the wonderful family to accompany it all. Everything you need to attain those things you crave is always and have always been at your disposal. You need but only open your eyes and see what was once not so clear.
     Just a little example of how using perspective can have two totally different outcomes. Milk is very beneficial towards one's health in that it has much calcium as well as vitamin D. At the same token, for someone who is lactose intolerant milk can almost certainly ruin your day and in some cases be very detrimental towards that persons health. Alright, maybe not the best example but an example it is nonetheless! As mentioned earlier, perspective can change worlds for better or for worse.
     Two things that seem to go hand in hand with each other, is happiness and perspective. Those that seem happier about life in general, regardless of socioeconomic status, also seem to have a more positive perspective/outlook on life. You might say, "Well that's quite obvious, Dillon.," but happiness is just that simple. Some make it out to be some mythological thing that can never be attained. My approach to it is a little bit different in that to me, happiness is a state of mind, not an emotion. Perspective has had a lot to do with my "happiness". My outlook on life changed and so did my mindset about everything. Now, my failures aren't just failures, they are lessons or stepping stones if you will. If you cannot learn from falling down, then you are doomed to repeat the process until you do. Humble yourself to the point of thinking that there is always room to grow and become a better person.
     Something that is often overlooked is just being polite. Wearing a smile on your face or even holding the door for someone can make someone else smile, and it's just a domino effect from there. That type of behavior is infectious and ultimately starts with YOU. Being courteous and polite can bring about external feelings of happiness, but for that internal mindset to take place, one needs to change and change a lot.
     Change is another thing that is very simple, but yet does not come easy. Simple in the fact that it's not some long, drawn out process with numerous steps to complete. It does not come easy in the same right that you almost have to look inside yourself and more or less redesign something within. That alone will take time and much effort. The common expression is, "You get out what you put in". Well if you put in something different or put in that much more, then you will see different results from previous trials. Change is so crucial to perspective because it can make or break you in so many different ways.
     Ever since changing myself and viewing things in a positive light, my life has been forever changed for the better. Visualization goes a long ways with this as well. If you see it, you will more likely do it and even more likely, it will happen-whatever your 'it' may be. Another tool to help you on your quest for that half full glass is finding a purpose. Together, visualization and purpose give you that motivation or momentum to do what you need to do to get the desired end result. Best of luck in 2013!

© 2012 dillonjensen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wonderfully written, sound advice, I enjoyed this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dillonjensen

11 Years Ago

Glad you liked it!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Added on December 31, 2012
Last Updated on December 31, 2012

Author

dillonjensen
dillonjensen

About
Welcome to the chaos that is me. more..

Writing