A Destructive King

A Destructive King

A Story by Damien J. Dennis
"

Written in 2006, my senior year of high school. Concepts and characters from this have been widely expanded on in my work-in-progress novel.

"
    Moonlight beat down on the cathedral, illuminating it in the middle of the city.  There were dim lights shining out of the windows.  There was some activity inside the structure, most likely priests.  Outside the Cathedral door, the three kings stood.

 

    Demon's black armor made him nearly invisble in the night.  The only thing to make him stand out was the dim moonlight shining on his face and off the sword he held ready in his hands.  Xero stood in front of him, his white armor glistening in the light.  "Demon, we cannot let you enter this church.  There is too much at stake here for you to go in there," Xero calmly explained.  Wraithguard appeared behind him.

 

    "Leave it, Firestorm.  He is not going to listen to us, he nevr has."  He placed his hand on the hild of his sword, afraid Demon might attack them.

 

    "Wraithguard, there is no need to be ready to fight me.  We are allies and friends, I won't hurt you.  But whether Xero likes it or not, I'm getting my revenge here," Demon said, smiling.  He pointed the blade of his sword at the door.  Xero looked at Wraithguard.

 

    "Demon, you can not go in there!" Xero yelled, turning back to face the vengeful king.

 

    "And why not, Firestorm Xero?" he said stepping towards his friend.  Xero got in his face and stared him right in the eyes.  He saw nothing but anger and hate in his eyes.

 

    "You hateful b*****d!  By going in there all your going to do is kill innocent Priests, and woman, and possibly even children!  I will not stand by and let you commit a massive murder.  We are the DoC, we do not condone such acts, Lord Deminious!"

 

    Demon became enraged and smashed the broad side of his sword into Xero's face.  Wraithguard drew out his sword quickly and charged Demon.  With his free hand, Demon grabbed him by the neck and threw him to the side.  He walked over to Xero, who was on the ground.  "You don't condone such acts, Lord Chaos! What about last month?  You and a small group of Soldiers completely destroyed the village of Cru.  You murdered everyone! Woman, Children, men and even newly born.  And now you tell me I can't get revenge for what James did?  That b*****d king took the only thing, the only person who has ever met anything to me!  What is so wrong with that?"

 

    Xero got to his feet and looked him dead in the eye.  "That was different, they were all assisting James' army in reaching our borders and recieveing supplies!"

 

    "Reaching our borders?  Cru is over a week's journey away from our most northern border, and you want to tell me that is an excuse!  By the Gods, you better get the hell out of my way!"  Demon stepped back and pointed his blade at Xero's chest.

 

    Xero took a deep breath.  He stepped aside and held his hand out to the cathedral.  "Go.  But if you make a mistake here, you will suffer the consequences."  Xero turned and walked over to where Wraithguard was laying.  He helped him up and they began to walk away.  Wraithguard turned and looked at Demon as he began making his way to the door.

 

    "Xero, what are the consuquences?" he asked.

 

    Xero took another deep breath and continued walking straight.  "Execution."

 

     

 

    Demon stood in front of the cathedral's door and grinned evily.  Clouds moved in front of the moon, causing darkness.  Now the king was truly invisble.  He lifted his leg and thrusted his foot into the door.  it cracked open and Demon smashed his way inside.

 

    Upon entering, a priest ran up to him in anger.  Before the man of god could even say one word, Demon drove his sword deep into his gut and watched him drop.  "i'm sorry, I didn't see you there my good man," he said, laughing.  Demon made his way down the long corridor before it split off into seperate halls.  The derange king stood in this intersection of halls and peered down each.  He saw nothing but preists hurrying children and women into rooms to protect them.

 

    Demon turned and ran down the one to his left.  Preists ran to stop him, but were killed instantly from his sharp blade.  A small boy ran out from under a woman's arm and tried to jump on Demon.  But he was caught mid-air by the throat.  Demon looked the little boy in the eys, about ready to kill him.  He thought about what Xero said, tohe consequences.  He threw the chiled to the floor and contiued making his way down the corridor, killing monks and all others in his way.  The hall was drenched in blood.  Women and children were screaming.  Soon, the town's guards would here the screams and come to their aid.  A priest dressed in a golden robe swung a door open quickly.  Demon right into the door and fell back to the ground.

 

    The priest appeard from behind the door holding a jewel encrusted sword and pointing it at Demon. "What are you doing here, Lord Deminious?"

 

    Demon jumped to his feet and slapped the sword to the side.  "Where is she?"  The priest raised an eyebrow.  "Don't act stupid with me, you fool!  I know James brought her here!"

 

    "Yes, and she is hidden.  And you will never find her."  The priest swung his sword at Demon's head.  He ducked and grabbed the man's arm from below and stoop up straight.  He tightened his grip.

 

    "Take me to her or i kill you!"

 

    "If you kill me you will never find your beloved wench." Demon's eyes became red with rage.

 

    "Ha, wench!  You wish.  I suppose I'll just have to improvise then,now won't I?"  Demon smiled.  the priest raised a brow.  Demon released his sword letting it fall to the ground.  He turned the man's arm over and using his free palm he slammed it into the man's elbow, shattering it.  The priest yelled but it wasn't over yet.  Demon quickly grabbed a dagger from his side and put the blade into the priests injured joint.  He fell over and peered up at the king.

 

    "Please, don't kill me! Please, I beg of you!" the dying priest yelled.

 

    "To save your life, you need not pray this time but tell me where she is located!"  The priest pointed down the hall.

 

    "Down there and through the last door.  Please, lord, please?"  Demon released the man and began walking down the hall.  He heard the crying of the man and after moving a few feet he stopped and turned around.

 

    "Oh, I almost forgot," he said as he quickly retrieved his sword and drove it into the man's skull.  "I don't go anywhere without my blade."

 

     

 

    Demon quickly ran down the hall and busted through the door.  The door fell over and Demon fell ontop of it.  He got up and looked around.  He saw nothing but blood.  Everywhere was blood.  He found the heads of many people lying about the red floor.  Demon fell to his knees, his eyes tearing up.  he dropped his sword and raised his fists to the sky in rage.  He let out a yell like no other.  Suddenly, Wraithguard and Xero appeared, jumping over Demon and out in front of him.  They were drenched in blood even more so then the room.  "Quickly, we must leave.  The Saylidorian army has arrived," Wraithguard said.

 

    "You were right Demon, but don't worry, we saw a knight leave with her.  She isn't dead.  Come, lets get out of here!" Xero yelled.  Demon got up to his knees and seethed his sword.  He grabbed a small puch from his side.  He smiled as the other two nodded.  Xero grabbed a candle and lit a small string tied to the pouch on fire.  Demon threw it into the middle of the room.  The three kings turned and quickly ran.

 

    They pushed their way through the innocents who were running scared in the hall.  They turned a corner and a knight jumped out in front of them.  Demon drew his sword and slid on the ground under the knight.  He cut the knight's leg out from under him in doing so.  They quickly ran until the hall came to an end.  A huge window was placed in the wall leading to the outside.  Wraitguard smiled as he jumped through it.  Demon and Xero looked at each other and followed suit.  They fell to the ground and each rolled to their feet and ran out to the front of the cathedral.  They saw the last guard run into the room.

 

    Wraithguard looked to the right side of the door and saw a huge bell.  "I'll be back!" He ran and jumped up to the bell.  Inside the church, a guard saw him.  He yelled out a command and a troop moved towards the door.  Using his strength, Wraithguard pushed the bell in front of the doorway and he ran away.  Demon and Xero followed.

 

    They ran down the road with the great cathedral behind them.  The three kings looked back to the structure.  The southern part of the cathedral suddenly blew up.  Inside the building, flames ran through every hall and every room. The flames consumed every soul in that place.

 

    Demon stopped and turned towards the burning cathedral.  "How exactly is the entire church engulfed in flames?" he asked.

 

    "You know, i was wondering the same thing.  But what fascinates me more is the fact that after the long speech about killing innocent people, the fact that Firestorm just lit the string on fire," Wraithguard said sarcastically.

 

    Xero stood there smiling.  He shrugged his shoulders and began to run again...

© 2011 Damien J. Dennis


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on June 26, 2011
Last Updated on June 26, 2011

Author

Damien J. Dennis
Damien J. Dennis

Rochester, MI



About
I am a Journalism major at Oakland University as a senior undergraduate. I work currently as an intern for the college newspaper, The Oakland Post. I am currently writing a massive fantasy novel(s) t.. more..

Writing