The demented

The demented

A Story by david jones
"

A man is demented and must flush the demons out of him that make him do haneous things.

"
    1.

The sounds of crashing...metal scraping metal. Flashing lights. Screaming. A sudden dark force appearing in the middle of the street. Roaring. And silence.
2.

It was five years later. The crash had happened when I was sixteen years old. I remembered it vividly; the sounds of metal scraping metal, screaming, as well as the darkness that made my entire body grow cold, numb, stiff. I had been to several doctors who ruled it out as post-traumatic stress from the event that changed my life, but I knew, that when I started hearing things, seeing dark shapes flit in front of my window as I slept, that something was terribly wrong. I was still going to a doctor, trying to figure out what had happened to me. I explained to everyone the sudden occurrences that happened while I slept, but no one really believed me, saying they were pigments of my imagination. They could've been. But when I was sleeping, and I heard the God awful roaring and snarling and hissing, and saw the shadows flit past my window, my skin grew cold and I felt as if I were being watched. I would awaken from bed and walk into the bathroom, and right there, in the window, I would see the shadows looking at me through the window and I would scream. My dad would race down the stairs and see me curled upon the bathroom shaking back and forth, the shadows gone as far as my dad could see.

About two years ago, when the doctors didn't work, we went to a priest, though we still kept in touch with Dr. Morgan. The priest said that it was the work of evil demons, but my parents wouldn't have any of it because they were pure bred Christians...though I was not. They stormed out of the cathedral and went back to sending me to doctors. And now here I am, a twenty-one year old living alone, as to not disturb the peace whenever I have one of those psychedelic fits. The house wherein I live is pretty big. The outside of it was painted completely White. The outside was cheery. The inside on the other hand was gloomy. Dark.

The rooms were dark no matter how well lit they were, the shadows creeping upon me. On the ground floor of it stood to tables right next to each other, glass vases upon both of them filled with roses I had received by girls after I graduated High School, girls who looked past the fact that I had my problems. In the room next to the living room where the tables stood, was the kitchen, a large white refrigerator that had been tarnished with dust over the years sat in the corner next to the shiny stove top. And then branching off from the living room stood a flight of half rotted away stairs that still held weight and that led to the rooms up there that were my bedroom, another bathroom, and several other rooms in which I had not explored in my two years living here. 

Now, I'm sorry for being rude. Talking about my house instead of my own self...I get like that at times. My name is Mike Coonan, a twenty -one year old. I am a part time writer who has an office deep in the basement where it is quiet. I have not a girlfriend because if something ever happened between us I wouldn't wanna freak her out with the screaming of childhood nightmares. 

I was standing in the doorway.

I had just gotten back from the store, looking for some food. In my arms were several paper bags filled to the brim with food. I walked into the house and shut the door behind me, darkness engulfing the whole of the room. I fumbled in my pocket wherein I found a flashlight. The light beam pierced the darkness, showing the individual particles of dust that swam through the air like shooting stars within the deep, dark, cold, vacuum of space. The kitchen was right ahead. I stepped into it and flipped on the light. A light bulb hung from a bare wire above the kitchen table, illuminating that part of the kitchen in the light, the rest of it illuminated in shadows from the reflection of light upon the wall. 

I was a writer, a New York Times bestselling writer at just twenty-one years of age, which is pretty good. The books I write are mainly non-fictional accounts of life crappy life as a child from the beginning, when my dad was drunk, to the times after the car accident in which I saw the strange vision, the shadows in the dark. The books about what happened after the accident were stuck within the fiction section of a bookstore or library, even though I insisted that the accounts were true within the writing, no one seemed to believe it. I had a hard time confronting people who read my books, thinking they were scams to try and get money, but in truth they weren't, I just enjoyed writing, enjoyed the craft, enjoyed words, and the motivation of that was what kept me going. Not the likes of some critics.

I had an idea for a big in my head right now in fact. It was, this time, truly fictional, though it links to some of the experiences I have had, though not blatantly, as to not have people questioning the work. It was a fantasy tale, about a prince who needed to face a dragon, as well as the black death and many world wars...a science fiction fantasy spanning through time. I had the first thirty pages of it written, in a drawer under my desk. 

I unloaded the groceries, thinking about the idea of the book, when the phone rang. I dropped a bag of food on the counter and rushed over to the phone.

"Hello," I said. 

"Who am I speaking with?" a woman's voice appearing through the speaker of the phone.

"You know who this is mom," I said laughing. 

"Ah yes. My son Mike. How have you been lately?" mom asked.

"I have been doing good. I am on work at another book, this one a timeless fantasy tale that spans through time," I explained.

"That is awesome. You are such a great writer son. At east you have graduated from those stories of your childhood with the car crash and all the evil and what not. Though I still don't believe it. And it makes me sad every time I read one of the later books," she said. I smiled. 

"I wanted to get my story on paper," I said enthusiastically. 

"I know. I know. They are really good books but..." 

"What?"

"Oh nothing."

"Is this why you've called? To criticize me?"

"No. I came to invite you to the annual Christmas party next week. It will be fun. Aunt Martha and Uncle Bob are gonna be there. You love them. Even in their old age," mom said excitedly.

"Sure I will come next week mom. It will be fun," I said smirking.

"OK. Well I have to go back to work. Goodbye now son. Talk to you later." 

"Bye." And the phone went dead. I hung it back up. And tended back to the groceries. The party would be fun. But something much much worse would happen before then...something that had never happened before.

3.
After I finished with the groceries, I sat down on the dusty old couch for a few minutes. Outside had grown dark. Stars glittered through the space, tiny dots within the inky blackness, and the large moon cut through the darkness and shined in the window. The night was beautiful around here. I heard the sounds of crickets chirping through the grasses and upon the trees, as well as the faint sounds of cars speeding past a mile away on the main road. I got up from the couch, stretched, and walked to the doorway. The night air was cool upon my skin. I shut the door, so the air didn't seep into the house making it colder, and walked up the stairs, the sounds of creaking stairs replaced by cars and crickets. I reached the top and went into the bathroom, brushed my teeth, and once in my room, threw my shirt off and plopped upon the bed, falling to sleep. 

I awoke in the morning to a noise. It sounded like breathing. I pulled back the covers, a sudden chill settling upon my skin. I heard rustling sounds in the walls and sudden slow screech. I threw off the covers. A chill raced down my back. A hair stood jutted up from the back of my neck. I slowly moved toward the sound. I opened the door...

I fell down. The screeching was already to much. I saw shadows dancing on the walls. My head became blurry. And then something replaced the dark images. A pearly white image.

I tried to meet with it, connect with it with my mind like I could the eviller visions, but it didn't work, as I was blocked out by the white figure. It was that of a girl, pearly like an angel. A new image. This must have been getting worse. I heard a creaking at the steps.

I whirled around.

And then my bedroom door slammed and locked itself. I lunged for it and twisted around the doorknob...or at least tried to...but it didn't work. I heard the noises on the stairs. Fear built within me. I had not had one of these fits for two years. I wondered what had triggered it. I scrambled for the next room where I kept my cross. I tripped. And fell in the room. I pounded toward the table with the cross, my heart pounding, breathing heavy and I clutched it. It burned. I nearly dropped it. Outside the things were getting closer.

I whipped around and raised the cross.

"In the name of the father, the son and the Holy Spirit. In the name of the father, son, and Holy Spirit. In the name of the father son and HOLY SPIRIT!! IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, SON AND THE HOLY SPIRIT!!" I screamed. The things halted. And then slithered to me on a patch of darkness.

"Now, it hassss come...you may have won this time but..." And the things, everyone of them disappeared, including the pearly white figure. I stayed up the rest of the night.
4.

It was morning. I had been up all night, writing. I got a good thirty pages done. I was surprised I hadn't gone crazy. I had reached a good part of the book I was writing, when the sun poked through the icy windows of the house and knew it was time. I waited until 9:00 am, writing, eating breakfast, wrote some more until that time when I picked up the phone and called the doctor. 

"Hi. Is this Mike Coonan?" a voice asked over the phone.

"Yes it is. May I speak with Dr. Morgan please?" I asked.

"Yes...just one second." The voice stopped and I was placed on hold, the sound of Christmas music filling my ear. After a few moments, another voice came on the line. "Mike?"

"Yes. Doctor. It happened again. The shadows and voices happened again."

"Now. Am I supposed to believe you?" asked Morgan.

"Yes because it's true. If you don't believe it. Come over to my house and try to sleep and then believe me. I don't care. But do please believe me. Because it's true. Would I have a reason to lie?" I pleaded.

"Well for money I..." started Morgan.

"Have I brought this to the attention of the press? No. I don't want damn money for this. I just want someone to believe me for once." I remembered last night and my heart started to race.

"OK. After my shift, around 9:00 o'clock tonight, I will come over with a few things and see what was happening to you. But now I need to go. Other people need me," said the doctor.

"OK, doctor see you there." I hung up.

5.

In the middle of the afternoon I drove to the church that was on the corner of Berkley drive and twenty-second. I stepped out of the car upon approaching the holy place and walked through the church, newly found religious spirit seeping out of me. I slid into the front pew and knelt down, raising my head and intertwining my hands. 

"God, please help me through these tough times," I prayed, my eyes closed. "Try you're best to help me get rid of these demons that are within me. I need you're spirit and guidance evermore than before since the darkness settled. I need help." I looked up at the ceiling hoping for a sign. And then the priest, Father Younger entered the room and walked toward I. He was a tall man, clad in green robes and black boots that clung to his feet, his beard long and prosperous. He had blue eyes.

"I see you need the help of God Mike," Younger said, sitting next to me. 

"Yes. Quite so. I had more visions of evil last night. There was a creature...a black mass that looked as if it had horns and a pearly white ghost like figure that also wanted me dead. I don't get it. What have I done to awaken the demons?" I asked. 

"Well. I am not sure. When you got into a car crash you might've said something so the demons escaped to try and catch you. Do you remember any of the event?" asked Younger.

"No I do not. Except for the shadows and the evil, and then I was out," I replied. 

"Could something else had happened then by your unknowing?"

"I don't know. I really don't. I just need these demons away from me. Do you know what the horned creature it?"

"Not a what but a who. You said it was black and had horns?"

"Yes."

"It could very well have been the devil himself," said Younger. "This is very grave indeed. Satan, or the devil, was cast out by God for being selfish, and caused the first people to sin. It seems he has returned appeared to earth in a visible form and is trying to take over....breach the subsidence of humankind. He feeds off the misery of people. The more you fear, the more He-who-must-not-be-named will get stronger. And sooner or later, he will kill you." The priest frowned. "You need to be strong alright? Find a way to overcome the demons and drive them from you. That is all you need."

"I know. But how?"

"Somewhere within you have a certain, pent up strength that has been building in you ever since the crash. Locate the source of that hidden power to unleash among the demons. I shall come with you. Experience what you are experiencing," said Younger. 

"I am already having the doctor stay over. You can come to. See if I can have some religious guidance."

"Alright. After last mass I will come over. Now are ready to go," Younger said.
"Yes," I said. I crossed myself, genuflected in front of the altar, and left the church.
6.

It was around five o'clock when I sat down with a bowl of macaroni and cheese in front of me. I ate slowly, the taste of cheese exploding upon my mouth. After I ate I stuck to my schedule and started to write. I got another forty pages in the book when someone knocked on the door. I answered it and Morgan and Younger were both present at the door; Morgan with a white coat and blue scrubs, presumably just leaving from the office; Younger clad in the same green robes as usual carrying a bible in both hands.

"So, this is it?" asked Younger.

"Yes. It is. It is a pretty creepy place," I said. "I would give you the grand tour, but I don't think it would be worth it for right now. I will just show you to your bedrooms." I lead them toward the rooms. After about an hour the sky was dark outside. I was lying in my room, while Younger was monitoring the activity of evil. And that is when I heard a noise...the crashing of plates against glass. I raced down the stairs and flew int the kitchen. But nothing looked amiss. Everything was just as it was. I turned around and walked upstairs. A chill raced down my spine all of a sudden. I heard another sound...scratching at a door upstairs. The sound clawed at my ears. I turned the corner and saw scratch marks appearing upon the door, but no visible creature scratching at the door. Just scratch marks appearing upon wood.

I moved forward toward the door and reached for it to open...there was a sudden scream and a clawed, invisible creature sent me flying. I fell to the floor, blood running down my head. The creature clawed at me, blood and bits of flesh flying from myself. There was a scrambling on the stairs followed by a shout. I screamed. Younger appeared from around the corner, shouting at the bloody mess. I saw a dark figure looming over everything, horns jutting from its obscure, lopsided head. 

I gripped the wood floor.

Younger pulled on my hand. The creature pulled harder. I screamed. Younger lashed out at the floor. The creature vanished. 

"You were right you are..." started Younger. He stopped. There was a yanking at both their heads. A blinding flash of light appeared through their eyes.

"You fool. You brought a priesssst...how dare you..." hissed a voice within their heads. I bellowed, clutching my head. My hairs were being pulled. They stuck on all sides of my head like I had just been electrocuted. The dark figure at the wall moved to the side. I glimpsed it. It had crimson red eyes that stared deep into the chambers of heart...the very fabric of my soul...of my existence. Younger glanced up at the creature. And then his heart also raced.

"The spirit of God. Come to us right now. Help us from this raging evil we call Satan!" the priest shouted. 

Suddenly a wind blew.

Lighting struck.

Darkness ensued.


7.

It was a dark whirlwind. I saw creature...demons...coming out of it now. There was a crashing and a breathing and roaring as well as a screeching that sounded like nails upon a chalkboard. The dark figure appeared from around the corner, no longer a shadow. It was something much worse. It was red...Reptillian...with blood red claws and teeth. It had crimson eyes. It had no back feet, therefore it slithered on a cloud of darkness like a serpent.

"SSSSSSSo, you brought thissssss man along with you...you will die in the depthssss of hell. But firssssst. I have ssssssome bussssinesssss to attend to. My minionssss have come across this planet straight from hell. And now, they will take over firsssst," hissed the creature.

"In the name of the father, the son and the holy ghost. God help us all from impending doom!" shouted Younger.

Suddenly I heard another sound on the stairs. Morgan. I had forgotten about him. I tried to race toward the stairs, but the creature raised its hand, restraining me. 

"God will not help you out. He issss not the ultimate power around here. There issss no sssalvation. Only death!" screamed the creature. A clattering. Something rolling down the stairs.

"NO!"  I screamed.

"No what? You are ssstill going to die..." the creature hissed. Younger lunged. He was pushed back and slammed into the wall. "And now. You're time hasss come. For you were the one who opened the portal when you had the accident by saying it was all God's fault. It wassss all on you Coonan. And now you will pay." 

"I..."

"Don't speak with it!" shouted Younger.

"It'ssss OK...let the boy...or shall I sssay man ssspeak. What'sss the worsssst that can happen."

"He will tempt you. Like everybody. Believe in God and this evil vision will go away. Just believe...believe...BELIEVE!!!" I tried thinking of it. Praying that this would turn out. My head suddenly felt as if it had split open.

"Now my friend. What is the point in thinking and praying when I am in you're head. I have really had enough of you and the damn priessst. Thiss time the world isss mine!" screamed the creature. It retreated from my mind. And then lunged. I was suddenly free from my restraint. I rolled out of the way. There was a huge hissing and then the same pearly white girl, only this time two of them. 

"It hasss come time for you to go into the gates. For not believing in God in the first place....now come...come..." they said in unison before roaring. Fangs as big as daggers came at me. I ducked. And thought of God. I needed strength this time to vanquish the evil upon me. 

There was a scream.
Younger fell. 

The creature lunged.

The pearly figure glided toward me. I was then locked in restraint. And the creature charged at me.

I kicked out my foot, that part unrestrained. The creature shouted as my foot went through it as if it were an apparition. 

And then I was being dragged through the darkness, into the wormhole that had formed at the other end of the room. I heard screeching. Screaming. I screamed. I couldn't stop. 

It was bloodcurdling. 

I was nearly in the center of the blackhole when light sprang from it and roof exploded in light, blinding the demons. There was an explosion and then a sweeping light flew through the house, destroying a majority of the demons. I assumed it was God. All the faith paid off. I was bleeding. And I was still being dragged. The demon laughed as if he could outsmart God. But the Holy One just brushed the demon aside, sending it falling into dust. I stopped. I looked up. The creature approached the Light and looked up at it.

"SSSSSo, Holy One they call you now. You are nothing compared to..." The light smashed Satan and he shattered in millions upon millions of shards. The shards clattered to the ground. The Light turned toward I.

I looked at Him. "I knew having faith in the almighty would work."

He said to me in a deep voice, "NOW IS NOT MY TIME. I SHALL RETURN WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT. THE DEVIL HAS BEEN VANQUISHED FROM YOUR HOUSE, AS WELL AS ALL OF THE DEMONS, FROM HIS VISIBLE FORM. BUT HE STILL WALKS THE EARTH AND WILL TELL PEOPLE TO SIN AND ALL OF THAT. I WILL BE HERE AGAIN SOON. DON'T YOU WORRY."

"Lord God almighty," said Younger. He looked awed. "Can you help this dying man?"

"I CAN. HE WILL NOT BE BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE, BUT HE WILL BE BROUGHT BACK TO HEAVEN ALSO KNOWN AS THE HIGH PLACE TO REIGN AMONG MY THRONE. I HAVE COME BECAUSE YOU HAVE HAD A GREAT FAITH. AND I AM QUITE GRATEFUL AT YOU. NOW I WILL BRING YOUR FRIEND UP WITH ME AND ALL WILL BE BACK TO NORMAL," He said. The light whisked toward Morgan, who lie on the ground, blood bathing his body. The Light grabbed Morgan and his whole body suddenly was illuminated in blue light and he was alive, or in some context. And then the Light vanished without even goodbye.
8.

My life had returned to normal. No more dreams. No more shadows. I got the book published I had been writing and everything turned out OK. 

Until.


© 2011 david jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

104 Views
Added on December 11, 2011
Last Updated on December 11, 2011

Author

david jones
david jones

Grand Rapids, MI



About
I like to read, write, play video games, chill with friends, listen to music etc. more..

Writing
Icebound Icebound

A Story by david jones