Chapter three

Chapter three

A Chapter by Dan Means

October 15th... Yes Cody was counting. October 15th they had their first good frost. Rabbit and squirrel had been in season for almost a week already but it wasn't good to shoot them before the first good frost.

Cody woke up cold. There was frost on the windows, frost on the grass, frost on the old swingset, even the trees were white with frost. He was excited and overjoyed. Then a terrible thought. He had to get ready for school. He fervently showered, dressed, and got ready for school. Once that was complete he loaded his rifle being careful to leave the percussion cap off so as to keep the rifle safe. He grabbed his shooting bag packed with several quickloaders containing 65 grn powder along with one patch and one ball each. It also held a spare ramrod, some rope, percussion caps, and a bag of trail mix (edit for further detail later). He then grabbed his book bag and everyday school stuff and headed out the door. It was a cold walk to school. He took the long way so he could ditch his rifle and shooting bag hidden inside the bows at the base of this evergreen tree bordering a field on the edge of town. The day was agonizing, watching every second tick by on the clock. Finally it was over and time to go hunting.


© 2016 Dan Means


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on January 5, 2016
Last Updated on January 5, 2016


Author

Dan Means
Dan Means

omaha, NE



About
I feel their is a lack of identifiably American literature in my generation. I find fewer and fewer stories aching of youthful fearless energy. I humbley seek to write in that spirit and hopefully m.. more..

Writing
Chapter one Chapter one

A Chapter by Dan Means


Chapter two Chapter two

A Chapter by Dan Means