Car Crash

Car Crash

A Story by Bianca La Salle

Hurry up dad! I want to go home!" I yelled out the open window. He was saying good bye to our family. It was more like socializing with them then saying good bye, but what could I say, my aunt does like to talk.
It was cold and rainy. All I wanted was to go home. I kept yelling out the window until my dad turned around and glared at me. So I rolled the window up and sat anxiously in the car. He finally finished finished what seemed two hour, conversation with my aunt and walked to the car. Finally we were on our way. I relaxed as my dad headed for the freeway. I turned on the radio, to find something to listen to as we headed home. After going through what seemed to be a thousand channels, I finally found one. 
When we got to the freeway, the speed of the car increased. I could hear the engine getting louder and louder, cancelling out the radio until finally everything just fell quiet. I liked being on the freeway. I liked to look out the window, to see all the different things that each town showed off. 
I could hear my dad singing the music on the radio, only for it to end with, " what the hell is this guy doing?"  I turned to look at him. He was looking into the rear view mirror. Something behind us was happening that he did not like. He looked at me for a brief minute with concern. I turned around and couldn't believe what I saw. A car a few car links behind us, was swerving back and forth, going in and out of traffic. " What is wrong, why is that car out of control?" I asked my dad. " The roads are slippery from it raining, but other then that i don't know," he replied back. He kept his eyes on the car behind us, as it got closer and closer to us. I was anxious again, and I didn't know what to do. For I knew that I couldn't do anything. I took a glimpse out of the side view mirrors. The car was not there. Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw a streak of white pass by me. 
As the car passed by, I could hear the screeching of the tires on the watery road. The sound made me squint putting my hands to my ears, but what I heard next made me look up. My dad was shouting loudly, as he slammed on the breaks. In confusion to why we stopped I looked around to see what had happened. I focused on my father as he opened the car door and slammed it. I watched him rush to a grassy guarded area in the center of the freeway. The white care that sped passed us out of control had flipped over the guarder rail and smashed into the mud. As I watched my dad, I noticed that the the car's front end was smashed, unrecognizable. The car itself had be tossed onto its back.  
Lost in a gaze at the car, I didn't notice that my father was back at the car until to car door opened again. He instantly began looking through the center console, " What are you looking for, your cell phone is right here, do you want me to call the police? Who is in the car, are they hurt?" I rambled on before my father grabbed my arm to stop me. " Honey, its okay, yes call the police and yes the people in the car are hurt. But I need you to help me find the seat belt cutters." The stress in his voice was disturbing. Chills ran down my spine when I asked him who was hurt. He replied " 3 children, 2 adults." My heart jumped, and i gasped in reaction. I suddenly found myself opening the door and climbing out. My dad noticed that and shouted for me to stay in the car. That I didn't need to see what was going on or what had happened. But it was too late for that. I had seen the accident. Seen the affect of it. I could feel something cold in my hand, I looked down at my hand and saw that I had my dad's silver phone in my hand. I stared at it for a minute, only to stop with the sounds of screams from people behind us. I watched my dad run back to the accident with the seat belt cutters in his hands. I looked behind me and saw that cars had started to stop. Some had left their cars to help. I looked back at my dad. He had a child in his arms. Who was covered in blood. I put my hands over my mouth in fear that I would throw up. He was pulling them out one by one as people grabbed them and carried them away from the car. 
Off in the distance I could hear the sirens. The rain had started up again. My dad was covered in blood when the ambulance  and medical team arrived. He looked up when they arrived and rushed to tell them what had happened. I noticed that he had taken a minute to look back at me, and in the minute I shared with my father, I saw sadness, lost and disgust. I have never seen my father this way before. It was hard to watch everything from the side lines. To not do anything. Seeing my dad that way hurt. 
When the ambulance left with the family from the car, I saw my father fall apart. Like he had just come home from war. He was in mud and blood when got back to the car. He opened the door and slid in. Placing his hands on the steering wheel. For a moment he just stared out the windshield, and then I saw something I have never seen my father do. He broke down. I stared at him for a brief second, and then reached over to grab his hand.  
He had saved their lives, helped people he didn't even know. He was a hero. A hero that I call my dad.
My father pulled himself together and reached for the keys to start the engine. We were on our way again. Only now we were haunted by the disaster that had unfold before our very eyes.   
We went on out way in silence, only the sound of the engine softly echoed through the car.  What I saw that day I will never forget. The day I witnessed my dad save someone else's life.

© 2011 Bianca La Salle


Author's Note

Bianca La Salle
I wrote this when I was still in school. I recently found it and decided to post it up. I hope you all enjoy it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

really intence hope it is not from a real experience

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Added on June 23, 2011
Last Updated on June 23, 2011

Author

Bianca La Salle
Bianca La Salle

STOCKTON, CA



About
if (WIDGETBOX) WIDGETBOX.renderWidget('b73ef22b-ef98-4e6e-970d-678d7782fb09');Get the bunnyhero panda widget and many other great free widgets at Widgetbox! Not seeing a widget? (More info) .. more..

Writing
lost lost

A Poem by Bianca La Salle