One

One

A Chapter by Doxophobia

    I realized that if I squinted I could see his features clearly. He had dark, black hair and his eyes matched. His light brown skin glimmered slightly in the moonlight, almost as if he were a mirage. Can that happen? Mirages in dreams? I blinked again. "Why are you in my dream?" I asked him, stepping forward.
    He jumped back and eyed me curiously. His hand ran through his hair and he looked around as if I might be talking to someone else. Who else would there be to talk to? There was no one in the silhouette of the forest clearing but him and me.
    "Why are you in my dream?" I asked again, emphasizing on the word "dream." His eyes widened, shocked, for an instant.
     He stepped closer to me as well, his skin shimmering again with the sudden movement. "You can see me?" His voice was calm, pure and smooth. The woods around us convulsed and shuttered away as my mind came up with a new view to behold. A dark room with white wood floors and a single couch in the middle. The window by the closest corner to him was still the woods, as if we had made a cabin in the clearing that we were just in.
    "Of course I can see you, "I murmured, circling him. He counter circled me and sat on the couch, his legs apart and his hands clasped in between. he stared at me in disbelief.
    His mouth twitched into a smile. No, not a smile. A smirk. "I finally found another one."
    I cocked my head at him, my auburn hair falling in ringlets against my shoulders. His eyes roamed my face, my features, then traveled down my body, down my white satin dress to my white ballet slippers. I didn't feel violated, however. "Another one?" I asked, casually stepping closer. he scooted away from me. "I'm not like, infected with anything, am I?"
    "No... that's not it."
    "Then why do you keep avoiding me?"
    "Because I'm afraid of your powers."
     My dream ended. It slipped away and shimmered from my site like it was never really there. My dreams always did that when I was about to wake up. I was standing in a white surrounding, like always, right before I wake up.
    I sit up from my bed and look around my room. Nothing has changed. It's still my girly preteen room that my Mother refused to change just because I got a few years older. My feet touched the hard wood floor, the cold seeping into my warm feet like the sun burning through an ice cube on a hot summers day. I attempted to run my hand through my hair, but my fingers caught aimlessly on the tendrils and curls. Definitely not like in my dream world.
    That's all it was, I reminded myself as I jumped up out of bed and pulled my pajamas off. it was a dream. That boy did not exist.
    Little did I know that it was more than a dream boy being real that I needed to worry about.


© 2012 Doxophobia


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Verrrry interesting. This introductory chapter does its job by introducing us to the protagonist and setting the state for the rest of the story that is to come by providing readers with a hint of what's going on - just enough so that we ask ourselves a lot of questions, and want to read on in order to find out more. What is the significance of the dream? Who is the mystery boy? What powers does the protagonist have? What more will she have to worry about? So it promises a lot to come in the upcoming chapters.

Although there wasn't much dialogue, I can tell that you can write it well at least, and you have good descriptive abilities. The prose did seem a slightly lackadaisical and enervated though, and some of that is unavoidable when you are doing a first-person perspective story. I'd suggest making sure that you vary your sentence structure and use different punctuation as you write on so that you can have a more dynamic tone throughout, or it could become a little tiring to read. Def. eager to read more though :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I liked that start, I was invested, the mystery is there and this can go further. The last sentence is not working for me though...

END IT HERE: "That's all it was, I reminded myself as I jumped up out of bed and pulled my pajamas off. it was a dream."

Start your next chapter leading up to you meeting the boy in real life that would be good.



Posted 11 Years Ago


"hat boy did not exist.
Little did I know that it was more than a dream boy being real that I needed to worry about."

Can be implied. It makes the ending really weak. All dreams don't exist. And I've read this dream, not real story a lot. It's well-written, but not as gripping because of the plethora of tales like this one.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2012


Author

Doxophobia
Doxophobia

Bend, OR



About
Perfectly out of place. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Doxophobia