Random thoughts

Random thoughts

A Story by Doreen
"

Just something I was thinking about. Not a story, not a poem - just a thought.

"






















 

From the time we’re born, we walk the path of life, making choices as we go, making decisions - some good, some bad. There are times when people cross our paths and make an impression on us, even if just for a fleeting moment.  Other times, we cross paths and walk along together, enjoying the company, passing the time, laughing and, perhaps, lending a shoulder to lean on along the way, lending support and love. 

 

At some point during this stroll of life, we stop and look back upon that road, and reflect on our journey.  We look back to things we’ve done, choices made, and the souls we have encountered.  We might smile as we think about how many wonderful human beings we’ve had contact with; sharing amazing moments, laughing or crying.  We think of how much we’ve learned from them, and learned about them, and how we have come to be a better person for just having known them. 

 

That smile starts to fade as those thoughts now turn to how we no longer walk together on the path, and we ponder the reasons; we feel sadness at no longer enjoying their individuality " their spirit, their magnificence.  And now the road feels a little more desolate; thoughts turned to mistakes made, questions unanswered, regrets about things that should have been said, or done.

 

 We lift our head - perhaps raise our brow in thought, as we realize we don’t have to wait for the chance to meet them again on that path; we can choose to find them and ask them to walk again, together, sharing laughter and tears, making new memories. 

 

And should we be fortunate to find them once again, we smile; open our arms, and we embrace them.

© 2010 Doreen


Author's Note

Doreen
Just something to think about.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is marvelous. The way you compare life to a path, it's amazing. I don't know how exactly to describe it, but you've provided a new outlook on life for your readers.

Posted 13 Years Ago


it's not a bad rambling though that's what it is. I must say you managed to skip over the resentment we hold for some as we look over our past

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'm not sure what to say. I'm compelled to say I love the style in which it was written...it is the closet to mine I've ever read. Your insights are so piercingly true. Your observations of life and its journey are profound. One of the best pieces I've read. I love it!

Posted 14 Years Ago


You're a good observer of life, and recognize the important things. Maintaining relationships with old friends and making efforts to re-connect with the misplaced/lost ones has always been important to me, and I endeavor to make it so. Afterall, a true friend is priceless.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Something to think about indeed ... this reminds me of something from The Shawshank Redemption.

"I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend."

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 27, 2010
Last Updated on April 28, 2010

Author

Doreen
Doreen

NJ (no, we don't say Joisey)



About
I’m a writer, a reader, a dreamer, head in the clouds, feet off the ground. I love dragons and wizards, potions and hobbits. Aquarius by nature, and a bit wacky at times. I write poetry and sho.. more..

Writing
The Coffee Shop The Coffee Shop

A Story by Doreen


Pose Pose

A Poem by Doreen


I Like I Like

A Poem by Doreen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Bike Visiting Bike Visiting

A Poem by holly