Stories of Old

Stories of Old

A Poem by Doreen
"

Just a little ditty...that looks like it's turning into a work in progress.....

"

At the mirror
   she would sit,
      her alabaster skin
         frail within her nightgown.

She told me stories
   of an ancient history
      her soft, angelic voice
         soothing as she spoke.

One hundred strokes
   to keep the shine,
      her tresses powder gray.
         I listened as she brushed.

Here in her room,
   a hint of 4711
      still teasing the air --
         the smell that was her.

And in a hand less weathered,
   I hold the brush
      and recount the stories
         that keep her close.
        
  



        

© 2011 Doreen


Author's Note

Doreen
I don't know if I did this justice. You can decide.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great read. I can see you two sitting in front of the mirror. My grandmother's gone now but I can remember the stories that kept her near.

Posted 13 Years Ago


AND...I didn't know at the time I first reviewed this one that it was part of the group challenge. Your use of the three chosen words is so subtle, yet integral to the poem. I think I said subtle before but it is...I STILL love this poem. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love the line "...And in a hand less weathered, I hold the brush..."
This is beautiful. Subtle yet poignant. I absolutely love it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I think it's wonderful. Your words took me there and I saw the beauty. You know I like stories, so I see potential here for further growth.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a wonderful poem that really captures a moment in a relationship between two women. It matters not their familial relationship if there is one at all. The image you create and the feelings you evoke speak to the essence of connection.


Nice write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Grandma? Momma? Sitting and grooving to old wisdom while the makeup gets applied to keep the semblance of youth.
The smile in a mirror when the stories get told of back in my day.
F**k. I opened a box with Grandma Monroe's stuff in it and the smeel kicked me like a f*****g mule. Vibe with the beauty.

Preach on sister

Posted 13 Years Ago


I like this...it has the matriarchal quality of wisdom being passed along, from mother (or perhaps grandmother) to succeeding generations.

Posted 13 Years Ago


There is such a tender beauty here, awakening the history and the life well lived... Made me long to hear the stories for myself, and ponder another world in another time...

Posted 13 Years Ago


mmmmmmm.....that was really delicious and made me miss a few people. Great down to earth write done in fantastic form and fashion. Great job.....

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love it!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 2, 2011
Last Updated on January 5, 2011

Author

Doreen
Doreen

NJ (no, we don't say Joisey)



About
I’m a writer, a reader, a dreamer, head in the clouds, feet off the ground. I love dragons and wizards, potions and hobbits. Aquarius by nature, and a bit wacky at times. I write poetry and sho.. more..

Writing
The Coffee Shop The Coffee Shop

A Story by Doreen


Pose Pose

A Poem by Doreen


I Like I Like

A Poem by Doreen



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin