1: Who Are You?

1: Who Are You?

A Chapter by DumbZebra

I looked out the veranda once more, enjoying the breeze that came and left in an instant. It was a great day today as well, but I had to leave this place for good. This place was where I grew up, where I spent most of my time, and a home to me and my fondest memories. This place is my home... well, "was" now. I picked my bag up from the floor and glanced back to the empty apartment once more. I hesitated to leave this apartment, but with courage, I closed the door shut, as if shutting away all of my memories.


I roamed around the crowded city with only a bag in my possession, feeling somewhat afraid of what lied ahead of me. I found myself realizing that I was, in fact, all alone now. I had no relatives I knew of, or any close friends who did not hesitate to take me in. After all, I lost my only family member a few weeks back. However, I knew that I was not alone, and that I had another relative I never knew had existed. I entered a nearby coffee shop and sat at a table after ordering a nice hot chocolate. 


I was around four o'clock, when a man entered the coffee shop and sat at the same table as mine. I have only seen this man from a picture that Mom have left behind. This man was apparently my father. I do not know of the reason why Mom never talked about my father before, or how she lied that he no longer existed in this world


"My name is Nicholas Doyle," he said. "Nice to meet you," 


There was an awkward atmosphere as we shared a long talk with each other. My father asked me how I have been. Funny, if you ask me, that a father would ask his daughter such trivial questions after not having anything to do with her all her life.

 

"I led a happy life even without you," I wanted to say.


"Welcome, Rachel," Joey said. We arrived "home" and Joey, my half brother greeted me. Joey was probably a year older than me. I nodded respectfully, greeting him back. "How are you?" 


"I'm fine, thank you," I told him. 


"You will be surprised to see your new room!" he told me excitedly. Joey was a great brother, and I knew I could trust him. After all, Joey was the one who actually convinced me to live with them.


I loved my new room. It was nicely decorated and... I just loved it. Not too fancy, not too simple... I really loved it. Joey gave me the moment to unpack and settle down, but as I unpacked my belongings, a big wolf like dog came bursting in, attacking me. I panicked when it pushed me down and started to sniff me. 


"Leo!" Joey yelled at the dog. Joey tried to calm him down, but he wouldn't get away from me. 


"Is he yours?" I asked, picking myself up from the floor. Joey nodded and frowned at the dog. The dog wagged its tail happily, completely oblivious that his master was mad. "He looks...like a wolf..." I managed to say. 

 

"Oh, well that's because he IS a wolf!"  

~~~~~ 



The three of us conversed a little at the dinner table. Joey started to talk about how school was today, and explained all the cliques and rules to me. I was to transfer to Path Academy, the school Joey attended. My father handed me a brochure of the school as I got curious.


"You saw your uniform in the closet right?" Joey asked. I nodded. "Easter break just started today, so it'll be next week when school opens again." I put my spoon down on the table and cleared my throat.


"Um..." I began, nervously. "Am I registered as Rachel Lane, or Rachel Doyle?" I asked. Lane was the last name I had all my life, which had been Mom's...but that wasn't the only reason why I wanted to know.


"I have yet registered you to the school," my father said. "I assumed that you were going to ask that,"


"...Mom did mention that you are famous," I said nervously. "and since... I'm your illegitimate daughter..."


"Rachel, you don't need to-" Joey tried to add.


"I don't want to trouble you... Father," I told him, cutting Joey off. I hesitated to call him "Father". Father looked at me for the longest time and sort of grinned 


"I'll keep note of that," Father told me. He left the dining table and Joey and I looked at each other.


"I think he's quite happy that you called him 'Father'," Joey reckoned. I smiled.


"Thank you for the food," I said, finsihing my dinner. A group of people came in through the door, surprising me. They took the empty plates with them, and that was when I realized that they worked here. It was as if the dining room was a restaurant.


I walked towards the door to my room, when I saw Leo sitting by it. I carefully tried to interact with him, somewhat hesitating because he is a wolf. When i patted him, he stood up and wagged his tail. I felt comfortable around Leo now. Is he really a wolf?


"Who are you? Are you really a wolf?" I asked, feeling goofy. I kept on patting his head when I heard something.


"Yes, I am a wolf," Leo responded. 


><><><>< 

care to comment and tell me if you like it or not? :D



© 2010 DumbZebra


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on December 25, 2010
Last Updated on December 25, 2010


Author

DumbZebra
DumbZebra

About
>w< just your plain teenage girl more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by DumbZebra


My Souls My Souls

A Book by DumbZebra