whoop there it is

whoop there it is

A Chapter by eKatryna

"Holly come on! We are going to be late!" Anna was rushing around the house she and I, her best friend Holly, shared.
"Jesus Christ. Calm down its 5am." I laughed.
"Hey! You and I both know the best waves manifest at 7am!"
"Y'know, every time u say that I still think you use manifest wrong" I grabbed my bag and followed her out to the garage where she (shockingly) already had our boards strapped to the top of her little Toyota corolla. We threw our bags with our wet suites in her trunk and climbed into the car.
"S**t! No I am not leaving without coffee again!" I started climbing out of the car.
"Holly! Come on!"
"Nooo" I whined "you know how bitchy I get without coffee."
"I'll buy you one on the way. Let's go." She started the car and tore out if the garage. We weren't stopping for coffee. I knew that much.
"So. I was on tumblr last night." She began.
"Shocker."
She glared at me "and I came across an interesting legend."
"Oh?" I said un-interested. I don't like legends. I'm a very superstitious person.
"Apparently. If you die at sea you become a mermaid. And if you see one, you die if you try to tell anyone." She started laughing "how stupid huh?"
"Yeah, ridiculous." Awesome. That's gonna be running thru my head all day now. I know, I'm ridiculous.
***
We pulled up to the beach got out of the car and put our wetsuits on, we grabbed our boards and smiled. The waves were already getting big. We ran full throttle to the water and started paddling out.
"Are you gonna sit for the first three waves like usual?" Anna mocked. I usually like to wait it out and get a feel for the water.
"You know me." I smiled.
"Whoop!!! There it is! First wave of the day!"
And just like that she was gone riding the wave. I laughed she never wasted any time when it came to surfing. Not even as a beginner. Coincidentally we met at a surfing lesson. Both our first time, both eight years old. The only difference is she surfed like she'd been doing it her first time. Whereas for me, every Lessing it seemed like my first time. It took me a long time to really get okay at surfing... I've always been more of a music person... She helped me break out of my shell, she was the only one who could. And we've been best friends ever since.
"What the f**k?" I jumped as Anna drew me out of my lala land
"What?" I asked dazed.
"I thought I just felt something brush against my leg..." She said sticking her hand in the water "whatever probably just a fish."
"Or a shark!" I laughed
"That is not funny and you know it!"
"Whatever let's surf meet you at the beach!" I took off on the next wave.
"The correct term is shore!" she yelled after me. Whatever.
***
"Well! I'd say it's time for lunch, to Moe's?" I smiled.
"To Moe's" she smiled.
Moe's is a hotdog cart always parked here at the beach, and has become a tradition for lunch.
"Hey Moe!" Anna said when we got to the window of the cart. The window slid open
"Hey girls! The usual?"
"You betcha!"
We always get chilly cheese dogs. Always. Ever since our first lesson we've been getting hotdogs at this place. That started... eight years ago I guess.

"Can you believe we've been coming here for eight years dude?" I asked

"I know, it's crazy." Anna responded stuffing her face with hotdog.

"Wow, you're really hungry." I laughed.

"It's amazing the appetite you work up when you actually surf."

"Hey, we cant all be as amazing as you Anna."

She smiled and flipped her blond hair "I know."

We both laughed and continued eating our meal.

***

"So tell me more about this legend you saw on tumblr." I said. I was getting bored of hearing about her love life, or lack there of.

"Well. Apparently if you die out at sea, such as a sailor, you become a mermaid y'know, because the bodies are rarely ever found. And apparently if you are lucky enough to see one, you can't tell a soul, except say, your ship mates. So if I saw one I could tell you, but we'd have to take that to our grave. If you ever try and talk about to someone who wasn't there, you'll die. Oh and they've pretty much claimed you, so ether way when you die you become a mermaid."

I laugh "that sounds morbid as hell. I love it."

"This is gonna be your new obsession isn't it?" she laughed.

"You betcha! Come on Anna, you've known me long enough to know I obsess over literally ever superstition I can."

Anna smiles "Come on. Lets catch this last wave and head home. It's getting late."

This last wave is absolutely amazing. Surfing is so freeing really. When you're riding a wave all that matters is the water. All your worries are washed away, literally. It's quite therapeutic actually. When no one else is there for you, the waves are. When you're in a tunnel it's just the most amazing feeling ever, you just feel like you've mastered it all, you feel like God. You're just riding through this water as it crashes down behind you. Personally I feel like Moses. It's that moment every surfer lives for. That and Mavericks. Anna and I are going down in a month. I haven't told her yet, it's her birthday present.

"Aw man! That was amazing!" she exclaimed as she landed picking up her board and unstrapping it form her ankle. "Just imagine what it would be like to that at Mavericks... sorry! Dreaming again!"

I laughed "Movie night tonight?"

"Every Thursday!" she slung her arm around my neck as we walked back to her car.

"Then I suppose the real question is Chasing Mavericks, or Soul Surfer?"

"Neither" she smirked "Blue Crush."

"Oh come on! That movie is so stupid! Who falls for a football player?"

"Fine! Big Wednesday!"

"Shirtless surfer boys? I'll bite."

 



© 2014 eKatryna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on January 28, 2014
Last Updated on January 28, 2014
Tags: surfing, sci-fi, fantasy, mermaids, mermaid


Author

eKatryna
eKatryna

Calgary, Canada



About
I am Katryna, I love Disney, and I write about a lot of random stuff... I'm trying out this writing thing, not sure how it'll go but you never know until you try. more..

Writing
Happy Birthday Happy Birthday

A Chapter by eKatryna


shjk shjk

A Chapter by eKatryna