A Real Take on Life

A Real Take on Life

A Poem by eMckenzie

When you are young, about 4 or 5, all you want to do is start school. Kindergarten seems like the only thing worth living for. Then you start. You start off easy. Maybe color a picture or find out 2 and 2 equal 4. 1st, Addition and subtraction. 2nd, reading and writing. 3rd, multiplication. 4th, division. 5th, spelling. and 6th, all of the above. By 5th or 6th grade, all you want to do is move on to middle school.


Middle school is the crown jewel of school. Then you start. 7th, 8th, and 9th, all the same grade. All you want to do is go to high school. High school, you have seen all of the movies, you see how it looks like a beautiful wonderland, full of beautiful people. Then, you start.


You realize, now, that the movies are just movies. It seems fun at first, and then High School shows you her awful talons. Homework and textbooks. Pencils and papers. Never-ending. In the classroom, the only thing the teacher seems to care about is the future. Saying things like, “You will use this one day.” Class after class. The only truths that the movies hold are the beauties. You fall. You fall for someone you know you will never get. But why? Is it because we hang out with different people? So you ask, “Will you go on a date with me?” No. Humiliation. “How could you even try? You didn't have a shot in Hell!” So, you are forced to walk the halls, avoiding, dodging, and running. Wishing you knew more about this “Future” that people keep talking about. There are good times, though. You make friends, however few or many.


Then, you finish. What do you get? What do you get for enduring 18 years of school? 18 years of homework, textbooks, pens, pencils, paper. You get a single piece of paper. For some reason, this one piece of paper is more important than any other piece of paper you have ever touched. Will this piece of paper really dictate the rest of my life? 

© 2014 eMckenzie


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very true. Hurts to read because I understand all the pain of high school as well. It does suck. Keep writing!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 14, 2014
Last Updated on August 16, 2014