Oaken

Oaken

A Poem by Eddie Davis
"

A Senryu

"


Bent into the wind,
Gnarled branches, no acorns form,
I'm a hopeless Oak

© 2014 Eddie Davis


Author's Note

Eddie Davis
I classify this as a Senryu, not a Haiku, as it is allegorical.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm pleased to know that you are able to distinguish the two, Eddie. I get Senryu and Haiku confused at times.

According to the website I've read, an oak tree symbolizes courage and power. Legend says that it is the most powerful of all trees. I applaud you for a wisely chosen metaphor!

This is my interpretation of the poem:

"Bent into the wind"

"Bent" implies submission or surrender to the "wind", which I think pertains to fate, destiny, or Higher Power. I believe the oak tree struggled during hard times, but because of some circumstances, it has failed to achieve something and it seems to me that it has finally "given up" and has fully submitted itself to "death."

"Gnarled branches"

I think this refers to hands that have undergone laborious times. The person has done his/her best, but as the succeeding phrase reveals, there's no fruit or reward for what s/he has done.

"no acorns form"

I've also read that acorns only appear on fully mature oak trees, so they symbolize fruits of perseverance and hardwork (at least that's what the site tells me). The present tense of the verb "form" even makes this phrase stronger. The meaning of the phrase stirred sympathy in my soul.

"I'm a hopeless Oak"

The "I" makes this personal and intimate...and also haunting. Imagine being likened to a tree representing power and courage but now drained of hope.

Although I would have wanted stronger choice of words in the last line (to make an intense, power-packed end), I think this is already good. I commend the consistent and excellent symbolisms.

Pardon my (probably) poor interpretation. I don't usually give interpretative reviews, just proofreading stuffs...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eddie Davis

10 Years Ago

Your review was rather close. Oaks are common in the eastern half of the United States and were on.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
1 Review
Added on April 8, 2014
Last Updated on April 8, 2014
Tags: Oak, tree, aging, depression

Author

Eddie Davis
Eddie Davis

Springfield, MO



About
I'm a fantasy and science-fiction writer that enjoys sharing my tales with everyone. Three trilogies are offered here, all taking place in the same fantasy world of Synomenia. Other books and stor.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Eddie Davis


Two Two

A Chapter by Eddie Davis