To my son

To my son

A Story by Tony

To my son

I was given a lecture the other day by my son about some of the things I post for public view. My display of emotions, feelings and complete honesty were in question. Naturally, these weren’t his chosen words. What he said was, keep your s**t off of Facebook because it’s embarrassing. I had to laugh to myself. I imagine I would have felt the same way at his age if my dad would have done the same thing. Then I stopped and thought about it for a while and I came up with this….

From birth, I knew I was raising men. I put a lot of thought into the future. I planned and dreamed of the things we would do, the conversations we would have, the good times and the bad. I’ve always taken pride in the fact that I have talked to you like a person. Every child is a person no matter how old they may be. I’ve tried to teach you right from wrong and guide you down the right path. I’ve given you room to make your own decisions. Some have been good and some have been bad. I’ve allowed you to learn from your mistakes and move forward. I’ve taught you how to remain humble in victory and noble in defeat. I’ve taught you many things and hope to continue teaching you. Future lessons learned remain to be see but, I look forward to each of them. 

Today’s lesson: fear of self
Don’t ever be afraid of your inner self. Don’t hide your emotions, especially from the ones you love. Don’t fear scorn from those afraid of their own emotions. Speak your mind in public and private. Never let what you know is right to become overshadowed by others. Stand up for your beliefs and for the weak. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there for the world to see. Those who would laugh and criticize you are of no consequence. Do not meet them with anger and disdain; meet them with sympathy and pity. Surround yourself with those who would applaud your openness. Give yourself to them in hopes of making their lives better. Take from them in hopes of making your life better. Stand up and shout when needed; sit back and whisper when needed. Allow your heart and mind a voice and use it every chance you get. 
Have no fear of the thoughts of others. 
Have no fear of ridicule. 

Have the ability to stand alone.
Have the ability to forge your own path. 

Have no fear of self and you will have no fear of any other. Have no fear of self and your world will be a better place. Have no fear of self and you will always walk in the light. Have no fear of self and you will be the man I see in you.

© 2017 Tony


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on August 12, 2017
Last Updated on August 12, 2017

Author

Tony
Tony

Writing
of of

A Poem by Tony


find your way find your way

A Story by Tony


Destination Destination

A Story by Tony