Letter to Suicide (an Old Friend)

Letter to Suicide (an Old Friend)

A Poem by Emma Eden Ramos
"

From my recent chapbook

"

We go way back. 

And if I remember correctly, it was you who followed me home that night in cold April.
The frost covered the half-sprung tulips; I laughed at their crowning corpse heads.
The kitchen window, still mostly shattered from when dad decided Goulash was no good on a Sunday.
Goulash, is that The Lord’s food? Where were the Salmon Fillets, the Mango Salad?
Mom never cried. Scout barked; was electrocuted by a hair dryer two days later. 

Passing the mostly gone window, I heard the sound of crackling egg fat when yoke hits the butter laden pan.
One crackle,
no pop.
No smell.
“Fried eggs in April? Won’t The Lord be mad? What’ll we hide for those snot nosed kiddies, pops?” 

I saw him then,
through the almost totally shattered window.
I untied the erect rope from around the ceiling fan.
Goulash would be safe on Sundays. The eggs? Untouched. 

We met first then
                            and
Later when Maribeth decided to go the Woolf way (giant pebbles and all).
She had, after all, graduated with an English degree. 

So I’m writing you now like an Irishman signaling the banshee.
I am tired old friend. Tired and sick. 

Cancer has me most of the time.
When it isn’t that, it’s my obstructed arteries.
Could also be the Cirrhosis, AIDS, or my ever intensifying personality disorder.
So be a dear, would you? Please?
Thanks. 

© 2011 Emma Eden Ramos


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Intense. Very intense. I can see the strange sense of the desire for relief. It is done in a rather sad way but hey, maybe its for the best. Great write, I can't wait to read more! If you want to check my writes out, go right ahead. Take care!

---Rïén-Kelso---

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Suicide such a personal thing And so permanent.I dont mind being dead I WAS DEAD BILLIONS OF YEARS before I was here.But I do mind the idea of the dying

Posted 12 Years Ago


Intense. Very intense. I can see the strange sense of the desire for relief. It is done in a rather sad way but hey, maybe its for the best. Great write, I can't wait to read more! If you want to check my writes out, go right ahead. Take care!

---Rïén-Kelso---

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2011
Last Updated on September 10, 2011

Author

Emma Eden Ramos
Emma Eden Ramos

New York, NY



About
My names is Emma Eden Ramos and I am a writer from New York City. My work has appeared in BlazeVOX Journal, Calliope Nerve, Stories for Children Magazine, Down in the Dirt Magazine, The Legendary, The.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..