a sexual discovery

a sexual discovery

A Poem by eglantine

I fractured the moon and drank
its secret milk the night
I first saw my naked self
in my mother's full-length mirror:

        pale and dark-eyed,
        whispered light,
        white pinpoint pupil,
        tethered and star-bright.

Ribs are for counting,
a spine for arching
and lips for peeling
my name from your tongue.

© 2013 eglantine


Author's Note

eglantine
libido awakened, the realization of sexual power.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this piece hit me like a little piece of mint on my tongue! all of the senses are beautifully awakened in this one moment of powerful and almost haunting realization. the woman body is in fact a powerful thing.

the ending leaves a beautiful longing and hunger for exploration. great work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

10 Years Ago

Merci! I'm glad you enjoyed it



Reviews

I like the idea of awareness and self discovery in this piece. You have highlighted the idea of youth burgeoning into adulthood; child becoming woman and realizing what all of this is for...why we do what we do and why we are what we are. I love the last stanza..."ribs are for counting/a spine for arching"--these are great lines. Beautifully done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


eglantine

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading :)
sounds like discovery and awakening combined with trepidation and delight. a blissful and engaging write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


eglantine

10 Years Ago

yep :) thanks for reading!
This one is so compact and sexually charged. It has a very vibrant current of electricity and awakening at its core. I like the idea of drinking the milk from the moon. On some levels, that image/concept seems like an aphrodisiac or a right of passage. The thought that follows about the full length mirror is very strong. Identity is realized in that moment, and so is the power of the female body. Although, my favorite lines from this piece are: and lips for peeling/my name from your tongue." That is truly brilliant.


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

10 Years Ago

Thank you so much for this insightful review
Clockwork

10 Years Ago

You're welcome EG
love the ending of this..there is awakening, awareness...it happens suddenly, or it seems to..we grow up...and lips for peeling your name from my tongue..what a way to say that...

exceptional write in a short span of words...two edits thought..."its'" is just "its" no apostrophe..and "mother's" singular possessive...

but such an elegant piece of writing describing a coming to terms with awakening sexuality.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

eglantine

10 Years Ago

thank you! And I'll fix those!
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself. There is always pleasure in discoveries. To touch or not to touch:) Well penned as always.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Night and the Moon are good when you're counting ribs. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


eglantine

10 Years Ago

yep yep yep! Thanks
Wow. Innocently erotic. VERY nice!

Posted 10 Years Ago


eglantine

10 Years Ago

thanks, I tried lol

4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1070 Views
37 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on July 8, 2013
Last Updated on July 8, 2013

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..