The ballet of writing

The ballet of writing

A Poem by eglantine

I've walked en pointe all night like fingertips

across once-polished light.  I want to lie

my soles against the stage like lily pads, but my ankles

are locked straight.  My toes bleed and my hair

unwrapped itself into an overgrown kelp bloom.

 

Nuit has four corners, just like the shape

of my breath and I've never understood symmetry--

 

my legs are longer than my shadow which twirls

around my pirouettes.  My bleeding muscles

are wrapped like satin ribbon around my bones

 

and I dance like drops of ink in a glass of water.

© 2012 eglantine


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hope you manage to do it justice with a title - twinkle toes is a bit cheesy but made me laugh :) Wonderful composition again - only thing i felt didnt quite go was 'my hair unwrapped itself into an overgrown...' whether or not the relationship between unwrapping and overgrowing is a valid one, im not sure. Just a point but not that important. Look forward to more :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

once again you did a great job...beautiful picture and wonderful words...fantabulous!
oh n pls read my new writings if you get the time...:):);).

Posted 12 Years Ago


I couldnt get the theme.do u mind tellin me the message in this poem.

Posted 12 Years Ago


that's very curious, the more i read the more i like it, it's like you kept the best for the last verses, especially for the last one which is an amazing end to the poem :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


The word within this well-constructed piece, that swirled me into an an emotional parallel plane was "nuit"., If in reference to a Thelema goddess, which i believe it to be, than the idea of assigning "corners" carries what i believe to be a counter-truth within paradox. as the idea of this stretches to the last line, i'm intrigued by the idea of the visual having corners, especially if i lose the symmetry to believe there should only be four. expertly crafted vision. if it were me, in title, i'd go with a thinly veiled double-entendre' like "having had it".

Posted 12 Years Ago


"slicing opacity", there's duality in that
or "quasi-geometric opacity"
and I think you understand symmetry better than you think
you're seeing precise movements from the perspective of a frustrated mind, here
it's dark, it's morose, and it's honest and beautiful and real
and if I grant you your inability to comprehend symmetry
your consistently involved imagery is symmetric in my warped mind
maybe that's something, lol


Posted 12 Years Ago


I'll be honest, but I had to look up some of the words, a fault on my part not yours. It's good. Really good in a way I'm not really used to. The images are amazing. I imagine the ink drops in water as if the reaction is happening even more slowly than they probably are.
Can I ask what the pond theme comes from?

Posted 12 Years Ago


i love it its amazing sad / really good i found it just like my life really good job

Posted 12 Years Ago


Hope you manage to do it justice with a title - twinkle toes is a bit cheesy but made me laugh :) Wonderful composition again - only thing i felt didnt quite go was 'my hair unwrapped itself into an overgrown...' whether or not the relationship between unwrapping and overgrowing is a valid one, im not sure. Just a point but not that important. Look forward to more :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 4, 2012
Last Updated on September 13, 2012

Author

eglantine
eglantine

Somewhere Someplace



About
I graduated with my B.A. in English (emphasis creative writing) My ultimate goal is to be the U.S. Poet Laureate and to be a college professor of poetry. I'm a wildflower with a poetic soul. I'm als.. more..

Writing
Insomnia Insomnia

A Poem by eglantine



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..