Chapter Two

Chapter Two

A Chapter by elektra373

I paced Marina's office God knows how many times. This was absurd. How could Cal order me to do this?

      “Marina you need to get me out of this job.” I rubbed my face as I leaned into the sofa.

      “I nominated you.” That got my attention.

      “Surely there must be someone else?”

      “There are but they don’t possess your qualities.” I sat there dumbfounded.

      “What if I let you down?”

      “Jennifer.” The tone of Marina’s voice was serious. “You have never let me down, and you never will.” She reached over to reach my hand. “You have grown into the kind, passionate, opinionated, smart woman I always knew you would be.”

      “I don’t see myself that way, and you know it.” I retorted.

      “True, but you deserve so much more than your life has given you.”

      “Marina, I just want a nice, simple life doing what I love. What's wrong with that?”

      “Nothing.” Marina grinned, patting her hand. “Because you do so with integrity, which is more than I can say for a lot of people.” I was confused.

      “With all due respect, I don’t think you gave me a job here to give me compliments.”

      “Aha.” She pointed a finger at me. “This life isn't just about us. It's about what's best for all of us, and you my dear understand that in a way most people never will.”

Marina pushed herself upwards, elegantly even for someone who was a vampire.

      “So, why did you bury your dreams for so long, before the incident, in that maze of a mind you have? That’s what I’ve been asking myself for a long time. And I’ve finally figured out the answer.” She leant forward. “You stopped believing in yourself.”

       I leant back in the chair and merely nodded. With my grandmother gone I had lost faith in not just my skills but the person I was.

      “Is this the part where you tell me that I should’ve started living again sooner?” I sighed.

      “I see I don’t need to,” Marina smirked, clearly pleased with herself.

      “I can sense a but coming on,” I stated.

      “No buts.” She shook her head. “Do you understand what we’ve been fighting with Jason Matthews about?”

      “Everything, you want him to be the next high Alpha, but he doesn’t want to admit it.”

      “Why do people do that to themselves?” Marina snapped her fingers. “I’ve never really understood, it’s like two people denying they’re in love when it’s so obvious to everyone.”

       “Oh no, you don’t. No! No! No!” There was no way she was going down this road again. I couldn’t handle it, especially after last time. “Marina, you’re not dying. You’ve got plenty of time left. I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long time.”

      “You could be happier my dear.”

      “I could be in a prison, which is exactly what a life as the Vampire Queen would be like.”

      “Only if you let it be, my dear.”

      I stood over her seat.

      “Marina, I don’t like to be the centre of attention and that’s served me well.”

      “I’ll leave this alone. For now.” She sipped her coffee.

      “Thank you.” I was relieved. I hadn’t stopped her idea completely but it was a step in the right direction.

      “But if you wanted to marry Jason I’ve no objections.”

      “Down girl.” She laughed in response. “Shut up!”

      I strolled out of the room and down the corridor to the office where I worked.

      “What’s wrong lose a boyfriend?” Rhian sneered.

      “No.” I stated.

      “Yeah, right.” She rolled her eyes.

      “I think you owe Jennifer an apology,” Marina demanded as she sipped her cappuccino. She was quieter than silence when she moved.

      “I’m sorry.” It was more of a question than an apology.

      “Rhian, this bitchiness of yours has to stop. It may be acceptable in other companies but not in mine. Are we clear?”

      “Crystal.”

      “Oh, and by the way, you could be hard working and dedicated just like her.”

      “How can you say that?”

      “I know everything. Now, you may need to spread your legs and the end of the night to get a man to spend time with you but she doesn’t.” Marina reached for my door. “And that makes her a far better woman than I am. Well, that and the fact that she keeps her attitude for another time and place.”

      “Now, you and I need to talk. Again.”

      I closed the office door behind me.

      “What now?” Marina slid an envelope across the desk. “You are cordially invited to attend the 24th Birthday celebration of Jennifer Griffin.”

      “Before you freak it was Cal’s idea.” She squeezed her hand. “Besides it gives you and your bodyguard a chance to see each other before you officially start.”

      I blushed even though I wasn’t entirely happy about the situation. Even though he was a hardass, Cal was a sweetheart, and like a father figure to me.

      “Now, I want you to take a few days off to get your things in order.”

      She didn’t need to tell me twice. I was out of the building in less than five minutes.


© 2017 elektra373


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on January 22, 2017
Last Updated on January 22, 2017


Author

elektra373
elektra373

Cardiff, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by elektra373


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by elektra373


Chapter Four Chapter Four

A Chapter by elektra373