Tessa and Will

Tessa and Will

A Story by elenaluisa

Will stands just over a metre away from me. His tall and usually strong body looks fragile and broken as though he is a crumbling tower, shaken by an earthquake. This is my chance, but before I get to think things through, I am already running away - away from him. I don't look back, but I know he’s following me; his loud footsteps echo in the wastelands of the corridors that surround us. I am not a slow runner, though he is clearly faster. Once on the ground floor, I notice the broken glass and bricks from before and know that I can use them to my advantage. The exit is now in sight, but Will grabs hold of my shoulder. Instinctively, I shove him away. No, I throw him away. He staggers, trying to keep his balance like a glass teetering on the edge, sensing that it is about to fall and shatter. He struggles to remain standing and intact; inevitably he drops onto the sea of broken objects and exhales a painful sigh like a deflating, punctured tire.

For a second I stop to think. Behind me, there’s movement again so I turn around, pinning Will back to the ground. At first he kicks and struggles, but then he stops. I look into his hazel eyes, which reflect the pain he feels; both mentally and physically. Broken. Ruined. Crimson red blood leaks from a wound over his eyebrow and from another on his cheek, right under the eye.  My heart aches as his face twists, once again, in agony. Though we are different, we both know that we share the same pain. I let go of him.

Taking a deep breath, he refills his lungs with oxygen.

"Do whatever you want Tessa,” he stammers as he turns his head to face me, “But please don't  leave. You’ll only get hurt, and that can’t happen."

Gradually, he pushes himself up into a half-sitting position and then, clearly in pain, continues with “I know I’ve done wrong in the past, but I’ll make it up to you. I promise.”

My eyes feel heavy with tears and my heart gives a knowing, painful twinge. I want to believe him, but after what happened… I can’t.

Ignoring the hopeful look on his face, I turn my back on him and begin to walk away.

“No! Tessa! No!” his trembling voice calls from behind me, “Tessa I…”

I turn to face him and, knowing that he deserves the truth, look him in the eye reply, “I love you Will.”

Then I turn and run out of the building and straight into the streets. Faster and faster. I don’t even know where I am heading but I know I have to get away. As I run I can taste my salty tears on my lips and my heart feels as though its collapsing but nothing can change my mind. I am not going back. 

© 2017 elenaluisa


Author's Note

elenaluisa
I wrote this a few months ago and I'm constantly finding ways to improve it. I'm not sure on the name combination or Tessa and Will so any suggestions are welcome. I am also open to grammatical corrections so feel free to comment on that. I'm not entirely sure what I think of this but please let me know what you think :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You describe the action very well. And the reader wants to know more about what had happened before, as well as what might happen next. And I could imagine a setting in my own mind of some derelict building. This is a nice piece in its own right, perhaps there is more to come?

If you write a much larger story, think about the tense. First person present works well for short active pieces like this. But it loses impact and some reality for full length novels or even long short stories

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

elenaluisa

7 Years Ago

Thank you for you review. And yes, I am planning on writing a larger story so thanks for the advice... read more



Reviews

You describe the action very well. And the reader wants to know more about what had happened before, as well as what might happen next. And I could imagine a setting in my own mind of some derelict building. This is a nice piece in its own right, perhaps there is more to come?

If you write a much larger story, think about the tense. First person present works well for short active pieces like this. But it loses impact and some reality for full length novels or even long short stories

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

elenaluisa

7 Years Ago

Thank you for you review. And yes, I am planning on writing a larger story so thanks for the advice... read more
An amazing story, heart breaking in parts and suspenseful in others! Loads of amazing similes!

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

elenaluisa

7 Years Ago

Thanks. It means a lot :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

114 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 24, 2017
Last Updated on January 25, 2017