The Storm Passage

The Storm Passage

A Chapter by Elfinpunk
"

The chapter which destroys what little ties to England and her family Caty has, and sets her free ready to go to America with a man she's known for about four weeks. I loved writing this descriptive chapter!

"

Andrew laughed. He began to say more, but just then a great purple cloud billowed across the sky, cutting off the shaft of moonlight to our sitting place. Both Andrew and I looked up. The world seemed suddenly dark and dangerous. Thunder growled, rolling through the clouds and then the rain began, pattering on the leaves softly at first; growing harder until it sounded like a savage drumbeat. Thunder rolled once more, loudly, not far away.

"I hadn't seen a storm coming," said Andrew, as he looked out at the fast-falling rain.

I thought back to when I was pacing my room. I had seen a storm threatening. But it had been forgotton in the midst of everything else.

"That's proper rain," said Andrew in awe, and I was pulled out of my daydream.

"That's a proper storm," I replied as lightening cracked across the sky in a sharp silver bolt.

Thunder crashed, right above us.

"I think we had better move," said Andrew, "before we get drenched."

We edged our way through the wood, as the wind howled round us and the rain lashed in sheets at the covering of branches above our heads. Every so often, thunder rumbled and lightening flashed. And then the trees thinned before us and we were stood in the midst of an angry storm.

"Don't just stand there! Run!"

Andrew took my hand and we pelted across the lawn, to the shelter of the castle walls; looming, solid and safe, in the dark.

The torrent gathered momentum as we ran, lashing at the trees in a wild frenzy, the rain raging and drenching both Andrew and myself.

"Now which way?" he shouted over the howling and shrieking, as we reached the stone wall.

"I don't know!" I shouted back.

"Just make for a door!"

"I can't see any doors!"

"You're joking!"

I felt my way across the walls, streaming dirty rainwater down  my fingers. Andrew followed.

A sudden flash of lightening split the sky, and in the light I recognised John's small hut not far away.

"We're on the wrong side! Run for John's hut!" I yelled over the raging of the storm.

We ran, but we didn't reach it. For just then thunder rolled like cannons and a streak of white lightening blazed in the black night right above is.

Like an arrow of quicksilver, it tore through the black sky. Andrew and I stopped, dazzled, as it plunged like wildfire towards the castle, as if time halted for a split second we saw it hit; there was a giant bang and the world went dark once more.

Frozen to the spot, in terrified disbelief, I felt it first. The ground gave a small tremor, running through the earth, I clutched at Andrew in fright. He turned slightly, and took my hand.

"Caty..."

The ground gave a fierce quake, Andrew halted his words and stepped backwards. The castle turret, bold and black against the stormy sky, now wreathed in yellow flame that licked the sky, gave a great groan. Stunned in disbelief and horror: we looked up to see it slowly cave inwards: with an almighty crash the entire turret collapsed in on itself. I screamed. Andrew grabbed my arm, pushed me backwards.

"Run!" he yelled, as flamed leapt up, consuming the entire castle.

"Run!"

Frantic, I ran. Through the darkness, stumbling down the hill, pushing through the trees that whipped branches in my face, struggling to draw breath; I ran, pushed from behind, right out of the grounds and into the village square. There, Andrew stopped running, he strode away from me. Stricken, I screamed his name. He looked around at the dark village square, as people came running out of houses. The rain slashed across my face, my tangled hair licking at my face as the gale caught it. I couldn't see Andrew in the dark and raging storm. I trembled violently.

"Where is the nearest Inn?" I heard his voice shout, not far away.

An unknown voice answered, then Andrew was back at my side, taking my arm and leading me further into the darkness. My breath came in short, sharp gasps, I shivered involuntarily, my head was spinning. In a frightening moment I was caught between dream and reality; then a light blazed and Andrew pushed me forwards into warmth and brightness.

I couldn't stop shivering, I clung to him, the only thing that seemed real and felt solid.

Like a mist had drawn a veil over my eyes, I couldn't see; I gasped for breath which wouldn't come. I was lain down on something soft; not real enough, I panicked.

"She needs a doctor," came a voice I didn't know. A hand pressed itself in mine. Andrew. I clung to it, wild with fear.

Still no breath would come. Then Andrew told me;

"You'll stay here, the doctor will come. I have to go back."

Terror rose through my body like a fresh wave of wild fear.

"Let me come with you!" And I tried to pull myself up, my head spun, my legs collapsed and the landlord caught me. I struggled.

"Let me come! Let me come!" I cried.

"No, no, you have to stay here, you'll be ill! I will be back! Do not come after me, for God's sake."

"Let me come with you!" I screamed once more, clawing at the landlord, caught in the savage grip of a frantic panic attack.

"Don't let her follow me," warned Andrew to the man holding me, then turned on his heel and swept out the door into the torrential rain beyond. I collapsed in the landlords' arms; my unbridled terror too much for my body to take, I had fit after fit, and when I awoke an hour later, I was in bed and the doctor was sat with me.

 



© 2009 Elfinpunk


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
Added on November 22, 2009


Author

Elfinpunk
Elfinpunk

Huddersfield, United Kingdom



About
I'm a 25 year old fiction writer; I love reading, festivals and random activities such as having picnics in the rain and I try and see the world differently, which is fascinating. I'm also fascinated .. more..

Writing
our world our world

A Poem by Elfinpunk