Day 1

Day 1

A Chapter by elijahposada
"

Meet your protagonist! It's a meet and greet really.

"

I’m the Best

Let me just say that I don’t believe in dying in vain. I believe in fighting for a purpose. I fight with a goal in mind. I fight to avenge my parents. I fight to avenge my sister. I have no one left and that’s the way it needs to be. Yes, I know that sounds bad, but you know what? Things happen.

My name is Kayla Hideshi, Kay for short. I practice the Battle Artes.  I can use the spirits of the Fallen to gain otherworldly abilities. Or at least I’m supposed to. I’m not sure what the Fallen are exactly, which finds me at a halt in my practice. I’m one hell of a swordsman though. Being the daughter of two great warriors really gives me my edge. One might say I’m cocky about my skill, but what do they know? I’ve survived for nineteen years; I can survive for more. I’m not scared of what awaits me.

Let me just say that I’m a daddy’s girl. I loved both of my parents, but it was easier to be around my father because I was never compared to him. My mother, according to everyone in the city, was the perfect warrior. She was the strongest and the most beautiful woman. Obviously, I got the beauty part down; however, I am incapable of matching her skill. My parents created the Battle Artes to combat the monsters of legend. Father believed in research, which was frowned upon by the Church of Levidus because “science is against the idea of a higher form or deity”. Father researched the creatures of lore and learned how to harvest their powers. Linus, father’s commander, wanted to use these powers, but his hate for his enemies caused the shadow side of the creatures’ powers to cast an ill-induced spell that crippled him for weeks. Mother’s pure heart, how cliché, was able to control the spirits and father was able to imbue them into gems that could be placed into the hilt of the Myridian. Linus was able fend off the attackers from the Saratees, but was too late to stop the summoning of the great Dusk Dragon.

My baby sister, Lily, was born days before our parents returned to battle. Father used the power of the Dawn Dragon. The spirit took his life in order to conjure such a devastating strike. Mother was never the same again. Even though her beauty never faded, her strength as a warrior did. One day Linus summoned mother to fight once again. A warrior that went by the alias of the Dusk Knight defeated my mother and claimed the Myridian. He aimed to summon the Dusk Dragon to storm the world, but he conjured up my father’s spirit to slay her and Linus. Lily and I were never trained in battle, but Linus’ wife, Lea, prepared us for the life of war alongside her daughter, Grace. We trained night and day. I was constantly compared to my mother.

This brings us to today.

Grace was set to command our militia to a major battle when we were ambushed by the Dusk Knight’s army. Many men and women were killed. Many children lost their parents. Many promises of returning home were broken. So here I am, sitting in an old abandoned warehouse that used to imbue books with magic to make tomes. Maybe I can take a tome to one of our Maguses to use.

A member of the Dusk Knight’s army breaks through the warehouse. Oh boy. He seems to have a clue that somebody is here. He is turning over every table, checking every crevice. Just so you know, I’m hiding on the ceiling, stretching out to hold onto the beams. One would think that the beams couldn’t hold me and cumbersome equip-

The beams give to my weight. I fall.

The soldier watches me fall. As I come to, I notice that the soldier is a Mercenary. Mercenaries are powerful warriors that focus on strength and skill to fight. He was protected by what looks like bronze armor that covered him from head to toe. He was almost threatening. He charged towards me, swinging his sword recklessly. Because I am the best at what I do, I defeated my foe. Foe. That’s a funny word.  

 Oh, I just want to go home. I’m tired of this world overtaken by war. I have to find my sister and Grace.

I leave the warehouse and make my way east; there is a rendezvous point just in case the army falls apart. Hopefully Lily will have found her way. Of course I hope Grace is there too, but Lily is my sister.



© 2015 elijahposada


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on September 28, 2015
Last Updated on September 28, 2015
Tags: time, life, past, present, future, journal, hero, heroine


Author

elijahposada
elijahposada

Lubbock, TX



About
My name is Elijah. I am a pre-Converged Broadcast Media major, but I have always been interested in writing. I'm not very good when it comes to story-telling, but I want to get better. I hope that usi.. more..

Writing