Chapter 4 - Councillor

Chapter 4 - Councillor

A Chapter by Dave Ellis

Not unexpectedly, the expedition of Cesario was a complete disaster, poorly led by his bad temper and his inability to adjust his course as the situation changed on the battlefield. They suffered a humiliating defeat, which briefly damaged the City of Florence, but quickly was directed solely on one of the sons of the Lord Ezio, in the minds of the town people and across the Italian Peninsula. His reputation was destroyed even before his first day in power, which then never came. Niccol™ had made his point, Marcello rose as the probable heir, and Ezio only had a few years left.

  And Giovanni had secured a solid first entry into the court of the Palace, with a diplomatic tone and strategically excellent judgement, and his status as a close loyal to the Lordship with direct access increased his prestige, and added even more weight to his words, as the new Royal Councillor.

He also managed his relationship to Niccoló wisely, seeing him as an untrusted friend from whom he could learn a lot. The mistrust was strong in both directions, but they still admired each others intellect, although one perhaps more lacking in values than the other. Lord Ezio always listened carefully to both of them, being impressed with this new young man, and having a growing trust and even a certain fondness for him. Ezio felt that his presence made life in the Palace somewhat more bearable, even more joyful at times. And it felt like he had found a companion to do his political gardening work, someone who understood and could also give him some comfort in this, through silent understanding and companionship.

  And for Giovanni, the first little walk from his favorite square and into the Palace would indeed mark the beginning of a new life for him. He quickly learned and became a natural part of the court and the political life with the governing of the City and Region of Florence. He also managed to avoid most of the internal conflicts and feuds in the Palace, in part being so close to the Lordship himself, but also as his natural personality and lack of need to challenge people gave few opportunities for others to attack him, or even having a growing motivation to do so. And it was also widely seen as he was too important for preserving and protecting the city, and a person with a big future ahead of him.


A few years later Ezio died a peaceful death at an old age, and by then Cesario was mostly removed from all central Palace proceedings, also having realized that he would be better fitted for other positions.

 Marcello and Giovanni had developed a close and trusted relationship, and Niccoló felt that he was partly in control of Marcello, only waiting for the opportunity to weaken Giovanni’s position a little.

  But as the funeral was over, the ceremonial crowning was held in the Palace for the new Lord of Florence, with Marcello di Barberozzini as the new ruler of the Republic. The year was 1485, and there was still growing turmoil in the neighboring city states, and France.


Giovanni tried to stay with his friends, visit the workshops of his friends to look at their paintings, and the sculptures, and enjoying a coffee in his favorite square, with his smiling coffee shop man giving him a warm look and an arm on the shoulder. “Giovanni, Giovanni, always happy to see you here,” he said. And in those moments Giovanni could forget about his other life, and just be himself, carefree and looking at the people passing by, or having long chats with his old friends about arts, girls, people, travels, or the beauty of the city and the river peacefully flowing through it. He sometimes wondered how long he would be a part of the Palace, or what the future would hold, but once he was in the little square, he was just being in the moment, and could forget everything else.


And just see the smiling young people running around, and the old men standing in little groups, chatting and smiling, and enjoy life for a few carefree moments. All of this in a bathing sunlight from above, the warm glowing sunlight that made him feel the true happiness of life, of just being alive. Closing his eyes, listening to the voices, and feeling alive in the burning sunshine.



© 2016 Dave Ellis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

90 Views
Added on September 8, 2016
Last Updated on September 8, 2016


Author

Dave Ellis
Dave Ellis

NYC, NY



About
Hi! Thanks for visiting! :)) more..

Writing
Cathedral Cathedral

A Poem by Dave Ellis


Trees Trees

A Poem by Dave Ellis


Snowflakes Snowflakes

A Story by Dave Ellis