Flashback 1

Flashback 1

A Chapter by ember

He felt it coming like salt in the wind. A hundred different eyes, like death, glowing and multiplying and blocking their view. At the back of the battle lines, the Women stood with hands clasped, tossing out vision upon vision. He didn’t need to see them to know this. He had heard of it. 

            He felt panic bubbling up even as he knew �" he knew �" it was not real. It’s just a trick of the light, of the mind, but he could not see the enemy, only those eyes and he closed his own and curled in on himself.

            He heard the others crying. Heard even the enemies’ stricken voices as they called out orders, fear �" reverent and raw �" lacing their words. He wondered, in the few moments before he died, before a blade came whistling through that salted air and sliced clean through his chest, what it felt like to cling to such creatures. To put your faith and life in the hands of things too ancient, too fathomless to understand.

            How did they know they would not turn on them?



© 2013 ember


Author's Note

ember
I add these brief flashbacks to the beginning of the settlement/war to give just tiny insights into the evolution of what happened on the planet. I don't now if they're helpful or too confusing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Absolutely love this! Very interesting, beautiful vocabulary x

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Added on December 30, 2013
Last Updated on December 30, 2013
Tags: science fiction, love story, metaphysical, tragedy, war


Author

ember
ember

About
I studied creative writing with a focus on fiction in the M.F.A program at SDSU. I like to write short stories that are a bit dreamy and strange. I also like to write sci-fi and Sherlock Holmes pastic.. more..

Writing
Falling In Falling In

A Poem by ember


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by ember


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by ember