Once Upon A Time

Once Upon A Time

A Story by Emily Cunningham
"

Last minute uni work for Transpositions..

"

She’s slept, they say for 18 years. Legend has it that a woman, old and grey couldn't stand the Princess’s happiness when her own life was so devoid of it. The girl was young and beautiful, kind and bright. If you look closely you can see it, her remaining scar. It doesn't fade or heal. Yet she is numb to the world. The only evidence of her ordeal a tiny prick of her finger. A scratch some would say. However if you asked this peaceful dreamer she would tell you that some scratches run deep and some pricks are worse than others. Sometimes a scratch runs so deep that it will penetrate your sleep. Even a sleep that lasts almost two decades. Not so peaceful after all.

There are whispers through the town that there is hope for our not-so-peaceful dreamer, that a strong young man on a trusty steed is powering through danger and toil to free the Princess. They say he is a knight.

The thunder of hooves on the road echo throughout the hall where the damsel lay. Dust billowing through the streets outside. Cries of relief and joy pierce the air. Applause and stamping are deafening- the ground trembles with celebration. The townspeople would soon be free of the guilt that they could do nothing to help their poor sleeping Princess. When the Knight kisses her she will be free. Her golden hair, gracefully fanned out around her porcelain white face flutters in a wind caused by commotion, deep in her slumber she dreams that she can hear cheering. She doesn't let herself believe it could be real. Yet she feels more awake than she ever has. The brave knight bursts through the tall oak doors and his cape billows as he glides towards his one true love. His happily ever after. Reaching her, he casts a wistful eye up and down her soft figure and his unfaltering gaze halts upon her face. He does not smile, his brow creased with concern and anger.

Suddenly the Knights armour flashes as he spins around to face the crowd that has gathered.

“I prefer brunettes.” He declared, before pushing towards the exit.

 

© 2013 Emily Cunningham


Author's Note

Emily Cunningham
Sorry it's rushed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on February 22, 2013
Last Updated on February 22, 2013
Tags: Twisted, fairy tale, transpositions, uni work, satire, romance