A Pierce Of Blue, A Spark of Green

A Pierce Of Blue, A Spark of Green

A Story by Emma Marie Taylor
"

I wrote this for my narrative story in my language class. The poem written in it is the poem I wrote and posted on here, Lips Of Blood Poison, tell me what you think!

"

 A PIERCE OF BLUE, A SPARK OF GREEN

“Are you sure we should be in here, Beth?” Mason whispered, pulling back the sheet covering the caving door. Beth leaned over to him and gave him a teasing smile, “Why, are you scared?” Mason cleared his throat, narrowing his eyes, “No.” Beth smiled and yanked the sheet off the door, “Good.”

Slowly, Beth stepped inside, her arms slightly extended at her sides as if about to take off for flight.

Dust particles fell to the ground like tiny snowfall, golden beams spilled from the window ceiling above, highlighting the sinking desk in the corner.

“Look at it, Mason. It’s beautiful,” Beth whispered, her blue eyes shining in awe.

 Mason scanned the old shelves surrounding the circular room. Every shelf was overflowing with books tightly crammed into the small spaces.

“Why’d they close this place down?”

“I dunno. Bankrupt, maybe?” Beth answered, picking up a book off of the dusty desk next to her.  “I still don’t think we should be in here, Beth,” Mason said, his dark blond brow creasing in worry.

 

Beth smiled, her eyes twinkling, “Oh come on, Mason. Have a little fun!” Mason rolled his eyes. Beth had always had a craving for adventure, a talent for bending rules, and a passion for taking risks. Mason was quiet, serious. The type of boy who followed the rules and kept to himself, not one to take risks. Sometimes he wondered how the two could be such good friends and be complete opposites.

Beth raced over to a shelf, her fingers tugging at the loosened spines. “Mason! Look!” With a hard tug, she jerked the heavy book from where it was wedged, swiping her fingers over it to clear away the dust.

“What?” Mason asked, coming over to her side. The book was a worn burgundy, with small and faded gold letters printed across the cover. “It’s a book of fairytales!” Beth exclaimed looking up at Mason with her piercing blue eyes. Mason gulped. Her eyes were too beautiful to look at, so he glared down at his sneakers and nodded slowly.

Oblivious to Mason’s discomfort, Beth opened the cover, her fingers gently holding the fragile paper.  Mason sighed, suddenly bored. “I’m going to go look at some other books.”

Beth made a small sound of acknowledgement, her head buried deep in the book. Mason shook his head, and began to explore. 

*                           *                               *

“Um, Beth? Why would there be a closet, in an old library?” Beth slammed the book she was holding closed, and turned, “What are you-“

 

Her sentence died as her eyes registered the scene before her. Mason stood next to a door hidden behind a shelf  of books, his hand frozen on the frame. “What did you do?!” Beth whisper-screamed, her eyes ablaze. She stomped over, her black hair flying in a wild ribbon behind her.

Mason opened and closed his mouth, still in shock. Beth snapped her fingers in front of his face, “Close your mouth, you’ll catch flies.” Mason shook his head, and looked down at her. “Should we go in?”

But she had already answered by running inside, fear just a word and not a risk in her mind.

 

              *                             *                          *

“This is beyond creepy,” Mason whispered, staring at the shelf full of strange bottles and jars in front of him. “Why would they keep this stuff in a library?” His fingers wrapped around a dark brown bottle labeled kyssa dryck. “Mason! Put that down! It could be a potion!” Beth shouted, snatching the bottle from his hand.

Mason scoffed, “Really? Potions? What are you, five?

Beth scowled at him, her hands balled into fists, “They could be real.”

Mason smiled, “Yeah, and unicorns and fairies too.”

He picked up the bottle again, holding it high over his head so Beth couldn’t reach it. Staring up at the bottle, he saw a small piece of paper attached to the lid. “What do we have here?” He mocked, pulling the square of paper from the lid. He set the bottle down and with shaking fingers unfolded the paper.

“Let me see!” Beth complained, looking over Mason’s shoulder.

Mason’s brow creased, confused. “It’s a poem…” Beth’s eyes glistened and a smile framed her face, “Let me read it!” She said, pulling the paper from his fingers.

Mason looked at her as she read, listening to the dark words of the hauntingly beautiful poem.

 

                   

Night time stars fall against the trees.

Shadowing the horror of the monster me

Closing my eyes, I cut skin neatly

Soaking up blood, oh so discreetly

He needed to die, the man of that hour

His words hurt, he was so sour

I dragged him here, with promise of kiss

But instead he got my deadly lips

 

A shudder went down Mason’s spine as soon as Beth stopped to process the poem. “Is it over?” He asked, closing his eyes. Beth shook her head, gulping. “No. There is more.”

 

Injecting my mouth with dark blood poison

Tasting the sweet syrup of bloody night crimson

Dark smiles pulled at my blood thirsty lips

As I dismembered his body, twelve even splits

Judge me not, for this man was a monster

He murdered my brother, my mother, my father

So tonight as the black ravens squack and titter

I kill this man on the night of midwinter

 

Beth gave out a shaky breath as she looked up briefly at Mason, her eyes frozen in shock. Clearing her throat, she continued.

Hanging his limbs from the branches of trees

I tie parts together into ones, twos, and threes

As I knot the last part, his bloody red skull

I walk over to him and gently I pull

And with stained guilty lips

I brush his cold, dead mouth

With a darkened red

Poisonous kiss

 

Beth dropped the paper, letting it flutter to the floor. Mason picked up the bottle again and popped open the lid. Beth slapped it out of his hand, letting it skitter to the floor “Mason, don’t you see?`! That bottle! It’s the poison!”

 

                                                                  *                          *                         *

 

“What? Beth, I know that poem was creepy and all, and disgustingly graphic, but that doesn’t mean it’s true! It’s probably just some crazy writer who felt like creeping out people,” Mason reasoned. Beth shook her head, walking over to Mason.

“Think about it! Why would they seal that poem along with the bottle? Why would they have a secret closet in a library? Don’t you see, Mason?” Beth shouted, her eyes wild, her black hair covering half of her face.

Mason put a hand on Beth’s shoulder, trying to place logic in her head. “Beth. It was just a poem. That’s all. There isn’t a creepy witch out to get us.” For added measure, he picked up the bottle from the shelf and sloshed it around. His eyes went wide, as he heard the sound of sloshing liquid.  

Beth looked at him and crossed her arms over her chest, “See?”

There is no way. No. No. No. No. “Maybe it’s just water.”

 Beth’s eyes flared with anger and she slapped him across the face. Hard.

“This poem is about a murder! This closet is a witch chamber!” She screamed. Mason stared at her eyes, wide, his cheeks stinging from the impact of the slap.

Mason looked away from her and shook his head, trying to ignore her. Why does she care so much?

Beth’s eyes softened and she cupped his cheek in her hand, rubbing her thumb across it softly. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that…I just wanted you to understand,” she whispered.

Mason looked at her eyes, clouded with worry. “It’s okay. I believe you, now.” A bitter aftertaste filled his mouth at the lie. He held back the urge to spit out the taste. Immediately, Mason wanted to tell her he was lying, but as he looked at the excited glitter in Beth’s stunning blue eyes, he couldn’t bring himself to say it.

“Really?” She whispered, her eyes filling with tears of joy. Mason gulped, his eyes not leaving hers, “Really.”

Beth beamed, and wrapped her arms around him in a hug. Mason rested his head on her shoulder and looked at the shelf in front of him. “Maybe we should look around and see what else we can find,” He said.

Beth pulled back and nodded. But after a moment, she bit her lip, and dropped her gaze to the  ground.

“What is it?” Mason asked, suddenly worried.

 “Well…I was just thinking, maybe we should keep this to ourselves.”

Mason looked at her, “What do you mean?”

Beth looked down, not meeting his eyes, “I mean, maybe we shouldn’t tell anyone about the chamber, or the poem, or the poison.”

Mason gave her a suspicious glance, “Why not?” Beth looked up at him, and a playful smile tugged at her lips, “So it can be our little secret, of course.” Mason gulped, “Okay. Um…do you want to keep looking for more things?”

Beth smiled, wrapping her arms around his neck, “Sure.”

         

      *                               *                                  *

 

Osynliga. Dod dryck. Hypnotisera. Maskar dryck. These were only some of the foreign names scrawled on the labels of the chamber’s knick-knacks.

 Mason sat cross-legged on the dirty floor, scanning the items inside the cabinet he found. Stacks of old papers and boxes cluttered the inside. Mason pulled out a dusted box and with gentle fingers shuffled through the photos and papers. His eyes caught sight of a photograph of a stunning woman. He squealed, and dropped the photo to the ground, running away from the box.

“Mason? What are you doing?” Beth laughed, looking up from the old book she had found.

“Nothing. I just…I thought…I saw a mouse.” Mason lied, swallowing in gulps of air.

Beth furrowed her brow, “You’re weird.” And with that, she went back to her book.

Slowly, Mason went back to the box, and with shaky fingers picked up the photo again. He tried to control his breathing, as I stared at abyss of bosky green eyes. Turning the photo over, he read the name sprawled on the back. The year read 1872. Mason set the photo down, shuddering. Sifting through the box, he pulled out another stack of ancient photos.

He shuffled through the yellowing photos, his eyes widening in disgust. Each photo had a big red X over each face, until he reached the last photo, a man, his face circled many times in ancient red ink.

“Beth! Look at this!” He motioned her over, hiding the photo of the woman with green eyes under his shirt, keeping it for himself.

Beth sat down beside him, looking over his shoulder. “Woah. Are those people?” Mason nodded, his eyes not leaving the photo of the circled man.

“I think these were her victims…” Mason whispered. As he spat out the words he realized that the fib he told Beth before was no longer untrue. He did believe her now. 

“What about that guy?” Beth asked, pointing to the photo of the man. “Maybe he was the last one?” Mason suggested, his eyes boring holes in the crusted yellow photograph.

Beth shook her head, “I doubt it, if he was her last kill, wouldn’t she want to come back to add an X to him to?”

“Maybe she didn’t make it back,” Mason said.

“Maybe,” Beth agreed, nodding her head. Mason looked at her and saw something in her eyes that told something, but he wasn’t sure what.

Beth stretched, standing up, “Anyway, that is cool, but I’m going to go back to her Book Of Spells,” she said, walking backwards, a playful smile on her lips.

Mason shook his head, and went back to looking through the photos. He picked up another stack, and suddenly, a paper fell out from the stack, but it wasn’t a photo.

He kissed me today. I have never in my life been as disgusted as I was then. I shoved back the monster inside me screaming to attack, and listened to the logical conscious that told me honesty. I waited. When I got back to the chamber, I opened up the book, scanning mother’s old spells, until finally, I found it. When I finished the potion, I sent him a letter telling him to meet me in the woods. I am leaving now. By the time you get this letter, the job I have been waiting for will finally be done.

Mason crumpled up the paper and threw it in the box. He tugged at his hair and held back a scream. He needed out. He needed out now. “Beth? I’m…I’m not feeling so good. Maybe we should leave.”

Beth looked up, a look of serene on her face, “But we are having so much fun! Do you think you can stay a little longer?”

Mason stared at her as she came towards him, a white angel in the midnight black chamber. “No. I’m sorry, Beth. Maybe we can come back tomorrow.” He stood up, and with a soft pat, the photo hidden under his shirt fell to the ground.

Mason’s heart hammered in his chest, and he could feel the blood pumping in his ears. Beth looked at him as she crouched down to pick up the photo, and a smile Mason had never seen before flooded her lips.

“This was your little secret?” She whispered, closing the distance between them. Her eyes were dark and she threw the photo to the ground. “If only you had gotten away with it,” She rasped.

She smashed her lips against his, and the last thing Mason saw was her blue eyes sparking  a bosky green glow.

© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Emma Marie Taylor
What do you think happened?! Did you expect that? What'd you think?! I'd love to hear your thoughts! Please review! <3

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha, that was fun! I was thinking she is definitely an abusive friend to him. The end was quite a surprise!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emma Marie Taylor

11 Years Ago

lol thanks!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
1 Review
Added on October 30, 2012
Last Updated on October 30, 2012
Tags: suspense, mystery, horror, twist, frightening, short story

Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing