wolf

wolf

A Chapter by marna
"

"

“Mom Trina won’t leave me alone” I yell. My mom turned in her seat to look at me and my sister. “Trina leave your sister alone and Roza don’t yell” me and Trina start pouting on opposite sides of the truck. Today is the day we go out as a family, so far we’re just bored. I grabbed my iPod and found a song by eyes set to kill.

I was staring outside when my father yelled and swerved to miss something on the road.

As time slowed I saw my family tense as we noticed that he has turned towards the cliff to our left; with no guard rails. We tumbled down the side of the mountain until the truck hit the ground with a crunch landing on the roof, the cab tilted from the way the truck lay. I was the only one conscience, the rest of my family hung limp in their seats. The sent of gasoline came through a window that had been smashed open. the creek of metal made me turn my head my door as it flew open. A boy, about 18; like me, peeked in and saw me. Looking into his eyes I felt comfort and I needed to be wrapped in his arms. I reached out to him; he grabbed my arm with one hand and tore away the seat belt with the other hand. I fell onto the roof of the truck chunks of glass cutting me as I half crawled and was half pulled out. He tried to pull away I grabbed him and pulled him close. He wrapped his arms around me and picked me up bridal style. He started walking away when I felt an explosion of heat come from be hind me but when I tried to look something stopped me; that’s when everything went black.

 

I was woken by a sharp pain in my shoulder. I opened my eyes. “I want her out of here. She smells horrible” a voice rang threw the room but when I looked around it was empty. As the door swung open I sat up looking at the figure in the door as my eyes adjusted. “S**t she woke up” there was a woman in the door. Her long hair flowing around her face, the guy that had saved me was behind her. She advanced on me and panic took over as I moved away from her. My heart fluttered as the pain in my shoulder exploded and the lights went out again.

 

When I woke up again I felt stiff like I had been in the same position for too long. I opened my eyes and saw a starry night above me. Sitting up I saw I was in a ditch at the side of a road. I climbed up the small slope just in time to have a car whiz by so fast I barely noticed it. It shrieked to a stop and a large man jumped out of the SUV. He walked over to me and put out his hand to help me up. “Are you hurt?” he asked. I looked at him blankly, the words not making sense. “Are you hurt?” he asked. I finally shook my head even though my body screamed in pain. “Do you know who you are?” I didn’t know how to answer that, my name was Roza Quorra but I didn’t feel like that girl anymore. “I’m Roza, right?” the man nodded seeming to know who I really was, did he know who I was? “Roza, I am Officer Gilbert. We‘ve been looking for you. Do you know what happened?” the memory of my family flashed and I remembered the cliff, being in the truck, a noise and the door flying open, a figure then a shot of pain rose from the memories and so I shook my head. “well Roza I need you to come with me to the police station” something my mother once said popped into my head like I was 5 again “never go anywhere with a stranger” anyone would know that and this man showed no signs of being a police officer, no uniform and he didn’t even show a badge. “No” I told him. He grabbed my arm and pulled me towards his car and I started screaming. He put a hand over my mouth and I quickly pulled away and bit him. I jumped back several feet and was crouched against the ground in a pouncing position growling at ‘officer gilbert’. I swear I could feel my teeth reshape and sharpen as I started at him. He pulled out something but before he had a chance to do anything I jumped and knocked him over. His head hit the ground and he lie there unconscious. I got up and ran in the direction he had come from hoping I would find a town. The night road blurred beneath my feet as I ran as fast as I could. When I finally did reach a town I slowed down, but felt no safer. I didn’t know where I was or where I was going but walking farther from that man was better then sitting around waiting for something to happen. The streets that were spotted with few people became crammed with morning commuters trying to get to work. They stared at me, but how could they not of, I had no shoes the clothes I had on were torn and I was covered in mud but to them I looked like a rich girl who got attacked. I began to notice that a few faces kept popping up like they were following me; I picked up my pace. They weren’t just people following me they were surrounding me. The road was clear of cars so I dashed out onto the road in an attempt to get away, they followed close behind. I had 3 people in front of me, 2 behind me and 1 on each side. One of the 3 in front of me came forward, “we need you to come with us” he said.

I shook my head, “I go nowhere with people I don’t know”

“Then we take you by force” he nodded and the group ran at me except for the man who had spoken. I stood there waiting. I crouched and jumped into the air just as they reached me, barley above their heads.  My foot did hit one of their heads as I pushed myself forward and past them, the man who stayed advanced on me but I ran into the crowed of people and kept running again. I rushed by people pushing them out of my way and getting swears in return but I didn’t stop. The only thing that made me calm down was the police station building looming over the street. I walked up to the door pushing it open. The station wasn’t full but there were too many people for my liking. At first no one paid attention to me but I didn’t expect them to. I walked up to the receptionist “hello, please take a seat and some one will be with you soon” she said without looking up. “But what if I don’t want to sit down or what if I can‘t” she looked up confused and saw this girl with torn clothes and mud. I gave a small smile and she started calling out some names. A well built man in his late forties walked out “calm down, Dourine, you’re going to have another migraine” he looked from Dourine to me and he froze. “What is your name” he said. I gave him a look and said “not even a hello. My name is Roza Quorra. I don’t know where I am or what has happened to my family, can you please enlighten me” the man looked at me as if I was crazy or maybe as if he were going crazy. “Roza, can you come into my office please” I shook my head. “I‘ve had enough trouble with people today and I‘m becoming to lose my temper. So if anything I don’t want to be in an office alone with any one single person especially a man.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WORK ON IT “Dourine, call officer Tamara for me please.” he turned to me “would you like some water?” I shook my head. A woman walked over to where we were standing and started talking to the man. What had dourine called him, Andrew? I wasn’t paying attention to them anymore; I was looking around the reception area. There were too many people in this place I didn’t like it, I needed out. “Roza” I turned to look at the two people behind me. “Roza this is Officer Tamara. She’s going to come with us into the office. Is that ok?” I didn’t like him talking to me like I was stupid. “it‘s fine, but I‘m still not comfortable with it.” I told them as I walked into the office. Tamara walked in behind me but Andrew stayed to talk to dourine. Even though he whispered I heard him: “I need you to call Cameron and Debby to come down here. We need to see if she really is who she says she is” those were my grandparents names, but I acted like I didn’t hear him. I Sat in a chair and looked at Tamara, “so, what do I need to do? Tell you what happened? Why I showed up here and wasn’t with my family? Well it’s easy, I don’t remember a thing, so ya.”  Tamara didn’t say a thing she just stood there, watching me. Andrew came into the room and sat at his desk and gestured for Tamara to do the same. She sat across the room in a chair that seemed too small for her. I sat there looking between the two. Several minutes went by without anyone saying anything. I broke the silence “so, there’s no questions or what, ‘cause I’m really getting bored” I was beginning to sound like a spoiled kid. I sighed, put my head against my hand and closed my eyes. Once I closed my eyes my senses became more acute. I could hear some desk people typing, I could smell Tamara’s perfume and I could smell that Andrew hadn’t showered in several days. I wrinkled my nose and opened my eyes to look at Andrew, he saw my face and thought  that he smelt so bad I could smell it but I didn’t think my smelling was normal right now.

~~~~~~~~~~

my grandparents arrived a short time after and without being dismissed i ran to them. as they embraced me i saw the fear and sadness in their eyes as they found out it really was me. “Nana can we go home yet?” I asked. She looked sadly at me “we need to talk to Andrew first then you need an exam by a doctor.” she told me, she and my grandpa went into the office and shut the door. They  closed the blinds and started talking. I closed my eyes enough to listen to them, but it was more difficult for some reason. “Do you think she’s starting the change?” my nana asked. 

“we don’t know yet but it‘s probably true right now. Since her father was human it could mean that she’ll start the transition later then most.” replied Andrew

“I don’t think we should tell her till she changes. Her eyes might of changed but that doesn’t mean it’s fully taken, but if she gets bitten then it‘ll change her faster. Give warning to everyone in town and tell the Da-”

“Roza” I snapped back into my head as Tamara stood in front of me. 

“Yes?”

“Would you like something to drink?”

I shook my head “no thank you” while I had zoned back in my grandparents had come out and were standing near me. “the doctor will be here soon” grandpa said. as they asked me to tell the story again the doctor came in and set up in a room. the doctor was a small asian woman with waist length hair and a sweet smile. as she set up i watched her moves; they seemed almost too graceful, the way she dodged objects to get around them; her feet never making a sound on the tile even in heels. too perfect i thought. when she was ready she examined me head to toe noting every thing including the way i stood to the nervous twitches i did. "thats a nasty scar. where'd you get that?" she as pointing her pen at my right shoulder. i looked down seeing the white skin stand out on my already pale skin. the cresent shape scar was quite large looking like a chunk of flesh had been ripped out. i touched the spot with my fingers, the area was freezing to the touch. "i dont know" i told her. she gave me a look then went back to her notes.


when my exam was done we went to the old suburban my grandpa owned,  I immediately asked “where‘s my family.” when the doors closed. without hesitation my nana said “they‘re dead, so your living with us now” wow there’s no hiding it. I stared out the window not knowing what to do; I knew I wasn’t going to cry though. I love my family but I just couldn’t cry yet, not now. sometime soon i would cry, someone will set me off and it wont be nice. the old home was a rancher with forest surrounding most of it. everything looked the same; the cracked pavement; the neat garden out front. it felt different though, like a new place. 

the room i had was the one that my sister and i had shared when we came to visit. opening the doors it struck me harder that i was never going to see them again when i saw the two beds sitting side by side. the skylight that took up most of the ceiling let in the light of sunset. “You can do what ever you like in this room but your still under our rules.” my nana told me.

“Ok” I said staring at the room already thinking of how I was going to paint the walls and hard wood floor.

“You start school tomorrow” and with that nana left. I walked into the room pushed the beds together and dropped onto my bed and fell asleep.

 

when i woke up the moon was above my room, shining through the window to light my room in a eerie but calming glow. not feeling like i could fall asleep again i got up to look out the glass sliding doors facing the back yard with the forest less then ten feet from it. I thought I was still dreaming because I saw a black wolf standing in the backyard. we stood there watching eachother as it walked closer, climbing onto the deck. I grabbed the curtains on each side of the window and closed it and climbed back into the bed and under the blankets closing my eyes trying to block out the wolf wining at the door. I covered my ears and repeated “go away” over and over until I fell asleep.


My dreams were filled with a forest that was filled with wolfs of the same pack, which was odd since there were more then 100 in the pack. I walked threw the forest watching the wolves run around, hunt, play and search for each other. i went unnoticed by the pack until a howl rung through the forest. Wolf after wolf started howling, their howls each lasting only a few seconds but hung in the air longer. As the howls slowed and came to a stop I notice the pack had surrounded me. A black wolf came forward, like the one from the night before. This wolf walked half way between me and the pack and stopped. Its fur slowly started to retreat turning into skin, human skin. The muzzle pulled back to form a humans face and the ears moved to the side of its head. Soon a naked boy my age stood in front of me, I looked anywhere but him. Although I wanted to look at him because his face was too familiar but trying to remember it made my head hurt so I stopped thinking about it. “Roza, you’re going to be part of our pack soon. Try to come back to these dreams more” I closed my eyes and when I opened them to look at my ceiling. My breathing was laboured and my sheets were a mess. When I got up I felt completely energized and the urge to run. It was still dark out and when I looked at my clock it said it was only 3am. Without thinking I opened the back door and stepped out. I breathed in the cool fall air and ran. My grandparents had always lived here and the forest was familiar from the years of playing here. the moon barelly passed through the trees but it illuminated the ground. I ran past trees and bushes and startled animals in the woods.

 That’s when I heard a howl; immediately i froze and hid behind a tree. A white wolf stood in front of me its lips pulled back from its teeth, a scream destroying the silent forest as it lunged at me, moving just in time. I ran as fast as I could, which was faster then I had realized. I looked back to see the wolf on my heels, its teeth still shown. as i was watching the wolf i didnt notice where i was going and I slammed right into a tree, luckily I didn’t hit my head. I fell to the ground the wind knocked out of me. Soon I could breath but it was too late the white wolf had caught up. i let my eye lids fall half way, knowing this was the end and excepting it but before the wolf could reach me a shadow tackled it. they started fighting seeming to forget about me, thats when i started seeing their fur retract or that what i thought it was .I ran before i anything happened and i ran straight into my room and shut the door and curtains. I walked into the bathroom that was conected to my room only, locked the door and climbed into the tub. I was scared and I felt safer behind two closed and locked doors. I could still hear the howling outside.

I didn’t fall asleep again I was too agitated. around  5am I took a shower and started getting ready. I had finished with my hair and make up and needed to get cloths on. Slowly I unlocked the door and looked into my room. It was glowing with the morning sun but I saw no sign of anything else being in my room so I came out. I went to the closet; to calm my nerves a little more I put on my favorite black skirt with the green lace and my black short sleeve corset top. At 6:30 I went to the kitchen for breakfast, I grabbed cereal and a bowl. Soon my nana came down stairs. “Oh, good morning. I thought you were still asleep, I was just coming to get you” I smiled at her “well I’m up. Too excited to sleep properly” she looked at me as if she knew it was a lie, but how could she. She made some coffee and turned to look at me “it must suck to change schools in grade 11” she told me, I shook my head. “no, I wanted to change schools anyways since I was getting bullied so much, so it doesn’t matter much to me.” she nodded, my grandpa walked in and gave my nana a kiss on the cheek. “I‘ll drive you to school today but your going to have to figure it out because I cant drive you everyday” he told me. I nodded and finished my cereal.

I climbed into my grandpa’s truck and put my seat belt on. “Don’t get into any fights today” he said with a smile. “Why would I get into a fight?” I said innocently.

“Because you‘re known to start fights” and with that we were off to the school. I thought the school was going to be small because I thought this was a small town, apparently I was wrong. The school was huge and there were teens everywhere. My grandpa took me into the office, I met the principals and some teachers, but too soon I was left alone except for a girl walking beside me helping me find my homeroom. “We don’t get too many new people at this school. It’s usually just the kids that have lived here their whole life that come here.” she told me.

“Yes, well my family is dead so that’s why I’m here”

She looked sad “I’m so sorry. Oh, this is your class.” we had stopped in front of a door. She knocked at the door and a teacher opened it. “Oh, come in. you must be the new student. Class” she shushed the class and made me stand at the front of the class. “Class this is our new student, Roza Quorra. She just transferred here.” there was a group at the back of the class that had not stopped talking until they heard my name. “Please sit Roza. We were just about to talk about our weekend.” I sat at the desk she told me to sit at; I was near the kids that had been standing before. After several kids told their stories about what they did over the weekend it came to me. The whole class turned in anticipation. “I went out with my parents on a trip, the truck crashed, I woke up at the side of the road, I punched out a pervert and now I’m living with my grandparents.” I refused to say anything else. Everyone looked at me blankly. “Wow” one kid said. Soon no one would look at me and I was left alone but that was how I had always been, alone. Not soon enough the class ended and I slowly made my way to my next class, math. A girl sat next to me and we started talking, her name was Angela. At lunch I was separated from Angela but it didn’t really matter I would rather be alone. I went to the cafeteria to try and find a spot. When I walked in I noticed that the cafeteria was more popular then I thought. Every table was taken and there were kids talking everywhere. I would not get my silence here. With a sigh I left to see if out side would be better. I opened the doors to see that I was wrong again; there were a lot of people out side. Except with these people most stopped talking when I opened the door. I ignored them and started walking around until I found a spot to sit away from everyone else. I found one; it was across campus on a little bench on the edge of a forest. I put in my ear buds and blasted my music. I pulled my phone out of my pocket, which my grandparents surprised me with after breakfast, and started texting Jeremy.

 

Jer, I miss you, when are

You going to visit?

 

Idk babe asap, just hang

in there

 

This town is soooo boring and

No one is very nice to me

 

Awe muffin. u’ll make

Friends soon

 

I know but I like my old

Friends =,( don’t let anyone forget

Me while I’m here

 

Aw don’t cry…crap gtg teacher is

Yelling at me

 

I put my phone away with a sigh, my song ended and I was looking for a new song when someone said “so you think we‘re not very nice.” I jumped off the bench and turned. My heart fluttered wildly in my chest and a sharp pain started there. It got worse and worse... “hey! It’s not nice to ignore people” the guy said. The pain went away and I looked at him. His hair was a platinum blonde and hung to his shoulders.

 “Well what do you want?” I asked.

 “I just came to warn you to never turn your back on a forest, its not safe especially if you don’t know what’s lurking in the forest” 

I looked innocently at him “but I do know what’s lurking in the forest” this got a surprised look. “A creeper with blonde hair lurks in the forest wanting to scare the new girl.” 

he started laughing then he turned serious. “You will never understand or at least not right now since” he reached out and grabbed the hair falling over my shoulder “you probably with never know unless” he stepped closer and put his face to my neck, “unless someone were to bite you”

“Can you please back away I dislike people touching Me.” he laughed again and put an arm around me and pulled us together. “You mean like this” he said, our faces less then an inch away from each others. “You‘ll learn fast what happens in this school” I tried to move away but he brought his other arm around me and held us closer.

 “What’s that, to become one of your s**t?.”

he started laughing sharply. “I‘ll show you” with that he leaned in close and I felt his mouth open. Before he could bite me I slammed my shoulder into his jaw, he pulled back but not before cutting a deep gash in my neck. In the instant he was caught off guard I lashed out with my knee and hit him in the crotch, as I brought my arm up at the same time and elbowed him in the cheek. He fell to the ground but quickly recovered and lunged at me making us hit the ground. I through several punches to try to get him off, only three hit. His hands were around my throat and he was shaking me and trying to make me hit my head on the ground. I threw one more punch hitting him square in the nose, and then his nose started bleeding. One of his hands went to try to stop the bleeding leaving me the chance to break free. I hit him in his solar flex and he fell again unable to breath. By the time he had regained his breath a teacher had already come over to us but he kept going. He walked right up to me and tried to punch me in the face to break my nose, I quickly ducked and punched his stomach knocking him over once again but this time he didn’t get up. When I stood I was breathing hard, I looked at the guy that had just attacked me, his eyes were blinking but he wasn’t getting up yet. “I told you I don’t like being touched” he raised an arm and gave me a thumbs up “ok got it. I‘ll keep that in mind” I turned and walked away. “You kick Jordan’s a*s” someone said walking up behind me “ya, no one kicks his a*s. Ever” I stopped and looked at two boys standing on either side of me “and what now you’re going to teach me a lesson.” they looked at each other and that’s when I noticed I knew these boys, not from anywhere I’d been awake but they were from the dream I had had last night. They turned back to me and the one on the right said “no, we‘re just amazed because no one has ever done that to Jordan” this boy was the one who had talked to me last night. I blushed at the thought; he was the one that had been naked. The guy on my left laughed and put a hand on my shoulder “don’t be embarrassed, we respect you for that” I shrugged his hand off and turned to leave. As I turned to the two boys started talking. The one that was on my right but now on my left said "well I'm Erik"

"And I'm Andrew"

"Nice to meet you, I'm Roza"

"We know, its not often someone transfers into our school" Erik said. The boys started talking about what happens at the school some their words were muffled and the world became fuzzy but I kept walking, that is until I tripped and Erik caught me. "Are you ok?" he said, breaking through the haze. I shook my head as the pain in my chest started again. "S**t, dude I think it's time" Erik said to Andrew

"But they said it would only happen if she was bitten"

"Well look at her neck it looks like Jordan bit her”

“Well what are you going to do; she can’t do that here cause of all the screaming.”

“But if I take her it’s kidnaping”

“Just go before she starts screaming” Andrew yelled. Erik picked me up and started walking. A deathly cold started in my chest and quickly spreading through my body.



© 2012 marna


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on May 10, 2012
Last Updated on June 6, 2012


Author

marna
marna

Surrey, Canada



About
ummm...im me i guess idk =3 more..

Writing
diary diary

A Story by marna


me or you me or you

A Poem by marna


the new life the new life

A Book by marna