The Pursuit of Evil (5)

The Pursuit of Evil (5)

A Story by E.J. Newman
"

Sometimes in lust you don't always know what you want. (I believe this is G-rated)

"

Lust

 

Sometimes it’s nice to be with someone who never stops talking because it gives you some precious “me” time. They can jibber jabber away and you don’t feel alone but you can also think of things you haven’t thought of in the longest time. Like your 10-year plan or whether you’ve successfully overcome your childhood traumas.

 

I’m sitting in a Japanese restaurant opposite the handsomest man to have ever blessed my already blessed existence. His name is Bobby and Bobby likes to talk more than I like to eat. I think you and I understand each other. Right now he’s talking about Eastern European political history and I’m starting to realize that I have more in common with a piece of driftwood afloat the River Thames than I do with Bobby McIntosh. But I am here because Bobby has the softest skin and the greenest eyes and I want to be friends with his mom. Today is also the day I’m going to give in to lust.

 

“So, are you my girlfriend? I kind of need to know so I can tell my friends.” His question jolts me out of my reverie on how to perfect my new lemon curd recipe.

 

“It just needed a little more butter,” I say.

 

“Cool, babe. You can meet them tomorrow when the freestyle canoeing championships are on.” I think I would rather eat oatmeal for breakfast than do this.  

 

“Will your mom be there?” I can sense something momentous building up between us. He cups my hands into his and looks deeply into my eyes. “It’s all about perfect paddle placement. And balance.” I wonder if he would notice if I ripped off his shirt.  

 

***

 

I am in bed with Bobby but I realize that something is amiss. We are squashed beside one another like canned sardines but there is still between us a distance so profound, it almost makes me sad. Yet evil is the mother of invention and the greatest idea since inflatable beds springs to mind.   

 

“I’ve got it, Bobby. I have the secret to our eternal love.”

 

He slobbers a kiss on my forehead. “Almost anything for you, babe.”

 

I tell him I would quite like it if his mom came in and held my hand.

 

“Why would you want to do that?”

 

I call him a prude and tell him he can be fully clothed when she comes in. Actually, he doesn’t have to be in the room at all if he doesn’t want to.

 

“I see what you’re getting at. Why don’t you just date my mom?” He snickers. “Here, here’s her number if you want to get frisky with my mom!” He grabs a wine-red pen from the bedside drawer and scrawls the digits on my left arm. He frames the number with a heart.

 

Tears come to my eyes. “You’re a very kind man, Bobby. Thank you for this.” I stare wistfully at my ink-blotted arm before throwing on my clothes faster than you can say “freestyle canoeing.” 



 

Only later do I realize he was probably joking.



To be continued…“Sloth” up next!

© 2016 E.J. Newman


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

this review is based on only Pursuit of Evil 5. I enjoyed reading your work. I'd be interested in a review of mine if you have the time.

plot - love interest

conflict - physical vs emotional attraction. building friendship with mother vs romance

dialogue - flows well and enhances content. well done. shows how into himself the boyfriend is.

characterization - description of what characters look like that sets them apart or makes them unique could be improved. Example. instead of the boyfriend being the handsomest guy she'd ever seen... turn him into a body builder with great abs. details show a picture a reader can visualize.

setting - Japense restaurant. bed. adding a few more descriptive details to show location might help. what are they eating? why did they choose that restauarant? Is it authentic Japenese? Same for bed room. a few more details would add color and interest.

rating: didn't add a rating - first day here. I"ll have to read what ratings mean first.

Keep on writing

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

864 Views
1 Review
Added on October 21, 2016
Last Updated on October 21, 2016
Tags: evil, 7 deadly sins, lust, seven deadly sins, comedy, comedy series, doctor faustus, Ellie Newman, LeoooJules, bad writing, teen, boredom, adventure, ennui, college