abstract album covers

abstract album covers

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

abstract album covers




in my mind,
i'm reliving an old crime
one of reckless abandon
and youth,
blond locks locked me in
focus blurred,
ideals in bell fashion,
but i didn't hear the music
just felt your beat
and danced your tune
until--- the album scratched indefinitely
our hearts would no longer play
and i was left singing blues to myself
to an audience of ringing silence
in suppressed stereo,
waiting for diamonds to shatter
and infinity to end.
erin-cilberto
9/24/16

© 2016 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This makes me think of that favourite old album, you keep trying to re-play it, and it keeps skipping, not unlike an unsuccessful, yet irresistible, relationship.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

yes, it's like that...thank you, KL...

j.
You brought back a lot of memories with this one. Albums, needles scratching the surface and skipping. Loved the line, "waiting for .....infinity to end." Sometimes there is no end to a situation. It stays with us forever and a day. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for relating, Lydi...

appreciate your words.

j.
Deep, powerful and worthwhile places you took the reader.
"blond locks locked me in
focus blurred,
ideals in bell fashion,"
The memories that find us. Become less painful with time and distance. You create place, memory and living in the poetry. Thank you Jacob for sharing your amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind, encouraging words..

j.
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

I love your work and you are welcome my friend.
I like the title. When love isn't in the proper groove it tends to be very abstract indeed - and always seems to leave at least one person singing the blues :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

your replies are always so insightful...thank you, Carolynn..

j.
There is a palpable wistfulness, the scratch and warp of memory, all through this piece. Those album covers were the perfect metaphor for the labyrinth nature of loves lost and otherwise.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, W.k.

j.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
1VJ
Musically metaphorical playing relationships that couldn't hold a melody for very long.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Paloma...

j.
Some more genius metaphoric references... there are some tunes that will always be a part of our heartbeat even when the record can no longer play.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Dale...

j.
Yes Jacob, every song shares a time of remembrance, some songs just go on and on, stuck in a groove well after its finished while our thoughts on past loves linger, not forgotten. A lovely write!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Music has such a place with words and emotions. This held me there in the moment and the after effect left me feeling such a void. Intensity at its best :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you, Poppy,

j.
I could feel every syllable in this poem, each beat and scratch of the vinyl... isn't it amazing how we often see and or remember our love through music and songs.. I always thought (at times anyway) how our lives were actually a musical and could be found on Broadway... lol...

you mentioned Moody Blues, while the covers were really neat, it was their music that we shared, along with BST, Carole King, Temptations and 4 Tops... he list is rather huge, but I could no longer listen to these albums so I left them to her... I guess I wanted my infinity to end as quickly as possible, which of course is impossible... oh well..

I think you show us once again and very artfully how our loves lost especially can be found in every nook and cranny of our lives... and you also show us once again our deeply we love and remember even if painfully... perhaps it is because I find much to relate to in your words Jacob, but I truly appreciate your poetry...

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

BST? isn't coming to me.

but yes, much music shared...and the Moodys were so great--m.. read more
redzone

7 Years Ago

Blood, Sweat and Tears
jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

good grief, yes...saw them at SIU in 69...not a big fan but my girlfriend wanted to see them...
read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

560 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 25, 2016
Last Updated on September 25, 2016

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Caged Caged

A Poem by Vidya Bacchus