Perdition's Exception

Perdition's Exception

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto


Perdition's Exception

 

 

confessions of fictitious writer

words in abundance

stream through a sieve

the occupant on the other side

no priest,

no father i have sinned

no contrition

no expedition

into forgiveness

 

just phrases

of phases of a life

well drunk, of bruised ego

of crippled inspiration

found in the bottom of a bottle

 

he is the tequila worm

swimming in his own detrimental philosophy

 

fishing for the elusive

sign of the cross

so he will no longer have to bear

his.

 

 

erin-cilberto

10/14/16

© 2016 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The use of religious imagery, ritual, and belief is applied well to pursue the communication of the theme. Sin and forgiveness, interior or exterior agency, and of course the idea of the pursuits and reasons to write, large ideas ripe for exploration.
And of course this is not a heavy handed discourse, there is quite a universe for subjective understanding and enjoyment of the work.
I do very much like the idea of this all being part of a process rather than a destination, it more fits the narrative of the source material, rather than the expectation of the average supplicant.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, ranscan.

j.
Like this one. The honest irony of life at times, though conversations can be of help along the way...the painting of words and the impressions, the pain comes through, almost an acceptance--maybe not by one's own will. But the faint acknowledgement that so shall this pass too still hovers around it all.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Chris.

j.
Why is it we are drawn to such beliefs that we were so rebellious to when we were younger? The "phrases and phases of a life well drunk"...you've penned this with such clarity, Jacob...I can almost see the tequila worm swirling about at the bottom of the bottle.

This is quite the read...love the articulation! High five, all the way from California!

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words and the high five!

j.
The end is just effing fantastic. (Sorry for cursing, but I didn't really)
Jacob, you just slammed it hard here. Nice one.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your words, Ana...even the one you didn't actually say...:)))

j.
Ana Papaya

7 Years Ago

Lol. :)
I was being respectful. :D
The pitfalls of retrospective words, of spent thoughts dangling by a beadless rosary thread, interpreted by anonymous shuffling clerics sipping merlot betwixt pursed lips, reverberating amidst the darkened cloak of hubristic zealots, whilst waxing the chords to illuminate the corners, from which rises our fickle muse.

Thank You for always stirring the foundations.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your very poetic response to my poem, Valormore...
j.
VALORMORE DE PLUME

7 Years Ago

You bring it out in me. Don't know what it means, but it probably relates on some level.
The every present fear of drying up as we ponder where it come from this creativity of ours.
And the loathing of what we produce as it falls short of our internal reality.
Oh to know the Daemon face to face

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

i really like your perceptions...thank you, Michael.

j.
Hi j, fine poem indeed. Reminds me of the catholic schools I attended. Drove me to drink as well...I'm kidding, that's just how I relate to it. As always your pieces offer so many angles of which one can view and interpret. Perhaps it is the pouring of confession on a page a glimpse of the writer. R xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

perhaps...thank you, my friend.....

j.
What strikes me most about this piece is the imagery and phrasing of the final two stanzas, which are simply world-class. Fine, fine piece.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind words, W.k.

j.
Hmmmm.....religiosity woven through the life of a writer who might not be a church goer anymore. Perhaps as a child, but now, well, life is quite different. Confessions are drowned in alcohol and sins are repeated. Can't really get a handle on the meaning in this one. I guess there is comfort for some in telling sins to a person who will forgive. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

i like what you saw, Lydi...thank you for your words,
j.
The frailties of humans come through in this, j. Bruised egos are not hard to come by. There are more than enough wandering the streets. Some seek forgiveness in church, and some eat the worm. A very good description of a writer's battle. Good write.

Posted 7 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

7 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, Ted,
j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

495 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 19, 2016
Last Updated on October 19, 2016

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dope. Dope.

A Poem by Asante