Don't Open that Door

Don't Open that Door

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Don't Open that Door

 

platform shoes,

basement soul

 

prestige

is an enigma

 

decisions

a cellar dweller's exemption

 

just leave it all alone

it will go away

 

and the shoes

won't get scuffed.

 

 

erin-cilberto

10/2/2020

© 2020 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I feel like this poem is the meaning of going into a dark, damp basement. This poem felt nice, dark, and moody and I loved it. It feels like being down there, in the dark, mentally, perhaps? I absolutely love the line about the shoes getting scuffed, I don't know why it's just the perfect end to the poem.

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

perhaps a basement of the mind? thank you for your words, Colacat,
j.
Indeed a sage piece of advice as you caution getting above yourself with a base-level intent especially when stuck in a dark hole in life but if you open that door, even just a crack, there will be consequences. As always you take the art of the pithy poem above and beyond imagination Jacob.

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

thank you for your kind review, John,
j.
You can't go home again...or back in time either. How well I remember wearing those platform shoes and even walking down the stairs in them. Now I would have trouble standing up in them! But if we leave the memories alone, they still do not go away. It's okay....they are our foundation. We are who we are today because of them. Lydi**

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

so true, Lydi...thank you...
j.
A soul that has shut itself away in a vault for long is not inclined to open the door. Indeed, there are no rules for recluses and they shun all doors and what they might let in. Perhaps, they have tested it all before and found it wanting, perhaps they just don't want to walk to all those lengths again and scuff those shoes and yet I am left with a slight regret for something worthwhile that may have passed them by.....

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

heavy regrets, slight regrets, doors close so others can open....but some of those doors we just wis.. read more
AJNJ

3 Years Ago

You are welcome sir
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Why the high platform shoe always needs a basement to get scuffed.... May be it is not upright..... That's why.... Who knows..

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

nice insight...thank you, Dreamer.
j.
Ignore the present and you'll exit ok without anyone knowing. Wishful thinking, Everyone has scars. I like it Jacob. So many avenues to wander.

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

yes, everyone does...for sure.
thank you, duff,
j.
'Don' t open that door". I had platform shoes too. Five inch heels. I was so very tall and very slim then as well. You know, I still open the door and go back. I couldn't even stand straight for five minutes in platforms these days. We could open the door together and walk back for a few minutes, unless you are scared. I'm not. That's where you took me Jacob :)

Chris

Posted 3 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

3 Years Ago

More than ready to open that door....I seem to go through it often.
thanks, Chris
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 15, 2020
Last Updated on October 15, 2020

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Beauty Beauty

A Poem by T.S. Ulmus


Knots Knots

A Poem by Phill Oz O'fee