Demonstrations after the Seventh Day

Demonstrations after the Seventh Day

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Demonstrations after the Seventh Day


sirens,
militia
streets jammed with people not cars
carrying signs for love not wars
broken windows,
broken faith in government
draftees coming home in pieces
reading poetry from torn volumes

crippled poets
wail
fail the words
a war in four syllables
the pain, just one

creation was in six days
God rested,
soldiers fought on the seventh

now there is nothing but ocean and land
worth saving
universal peace came too late
in a quiet place

only graves
the love is buried there.


erin-cilberto
11/12/21

© 2021 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Maybe that's what's wrong with war. No embedded poets. But then they'd just end up crippled, right?

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I think many do end up crippled in the head...
thank you, William,
j.
Hi Jacob, on the seventh day our young went forward, following love of country into battle's fray. They believed in something bigger than themselves. So many came back broken. That does cause me pain as I read your powerful write, my friend. Wouldn't peace in the world be a WONDERFUL THING. Probably not in my lifetime. Yes, my friend, only graves. A sad commentary on our world. Have a wonderful Friday....Mike.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

I hoped for that in the sixties, Mike, but now I doubt I will see that day.
thank you,
.. read more
shadrach hah

2 Years Ago

You are welcome, Jacob. May it come to happen one day....Mike.
Complicated lives we all live, and I feel it is getting more that way the older we get. I like when you said..

creation was in six days
God rested,
soldiers fought on the seventh

To me this means, we will always stand and fight for what is ours including freedom.
Very well written and said.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Appreciate your words, Kerra,
j.
The world is a complicated place, and humanity is a complicated species. Still, some things are worth fighting for. Worth dying for. I love my freedom. I am deeply grateful to those who fought to preserve it, and to bring it to others. Even if they didn't agree with our leaders, they served when asked. That counts for something. We can't secure our future by fighting our battles in the past. But we can pause and reflect on them. Thank you for your perspective and reflection.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

thank you for the share...I, too, am deeply grateful...and I came very close to being one of them ba.. read more
Zoe Richardson

2 Years Ago

My father was one of them. So was my uncle. Different wars, though. Isn't it funny how those who fou.. read more
It's often hard to fathom that our system of government & society is the crème de la crème of what this old world has to offer, but then I notice my friend from another country must stop reviewing becuz her country periodically turns off the electricity for hours (((HUGS)))

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

yes, despite its flaws, I don't think I would want to live anywhere but here.
thank you, Marg.. read more
We are a destructive species. We destroy everything. We are even destroying our own planet. Poets know that and write about it. Sadly there is little they can do about it. Thought provoking poem brother J.

Sis Chris

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

Yes, we can do no more that write about it and hope someone is listening.
thank you, sis Chri.. read more
A thoughtful tribute to those troubled times. There can be no peace with soldiers coming home in pieces ... physically or mentally. My father was one of those ... dealing with demons and drinking himself to death at 44.
Poets have played at war too often ... one immortalized the Dead. "In Flanders fields the poppies blow
between the crosses row on row" ... too many crosses ... too many graves where love is buried.
When God rested ... Man stepped forward to undo so much.

Good one j.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

your last line is so true...the undo.
I had friends who went over there, came back different... read more
It is strange how the turmoil of the 60's echo in these days. As if the issues fought for in those times still remain unresolved. As a society we praise our veterans yet despise the wars they fought in. And that leaves out the fact those who returned in pieces are treated horribly in their Healthcare through the government. I remember asking my uncle who fought in Vietnam what was the most difficult thing for him to deal with after his return to the states. He said coming back alive when many of his friends he considered brothers over there did not return. It was then that he said that you can't force peace at the end of a gun, you can only destroy it. Thank you J for sharing your poem with us.

Posted 2 Years Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

2 Years Ago

we just never learn, do we, Carlos?
thank you for your insightful words here.
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 12, 2021
Last Updated on November 12, 2021

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..