the Band

the Band

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

the Band
hapless, helpless, homeless
as hellaciously heartless heathens
profess such rabid faith
they foam prayers at the mouth
while concussed on hypocritical percussion
beating their own drums loudly
but not even hearing one quiet strum
of those below the stage
singing a song of desperation, starvation
expiration
we are all excommunicated before the last gospel
is read,
humanity is dead
in the water
even Jesus
refuses to walk upon.
erin-cilberto
11/25/22

© 2022 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Our earth is ruined; our people are ruined.... the hapless freaks who spread the gospel don't even know what's going on "down there in the dumps" ... "below the stage"; they are too caught up in their faith...but little do they know they are not accepted by Jesus.... so all humanity is ex-communicated; I suspect the "band" is the what's below(?) we have wrecked ourselves and our planet....and not even Jesus can fix it....
PS I don't believe in Jesus, hell, the bible, etc....but this poem is a more than that!!!
Best, B

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I appreciate your review very much, Betty,
j.
Betty Hermelee

1 Year Ago

you're very welcome J.
Best, B
I think your poems with religious overtones/references are your best. Something nearly universal to all of humanity, different flavors, scents, and sounds, but often pointing at the same universal truths. Everything we do as humans either recreates worship or warfare, every single aspect of our lives not tied to sleep, shitting, or sustenance, and that definitely includes sporting events (I'm thinking football and soccer (hello, World Cup!), cable news, video games, social media, etc; Once our attention spans and senses of self are completely shot, there's no way we'd even be receptive to a last gospel once manifested. The human-generated "waters" Jesus refuses to walk on are probably of the same sort he saw on the pinnacle of the temple after having fasted for 40 days and 40 nights, that Satan was tempting him with. You can change this, you can control this, prevent this, if you bow down and worship me. Jesus probably wanted to. Prophetic. He knew how bad it would get.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your very insightful words, Jon,
j.
To walk on the water required faith, but also a reason. Peter needed Jesus to command him to follow/walk on the water. But I forget Jesus' reasons. Idk, the last stanza brought something out of me. This is a powerful write. The world is in such a bad place. I just read a poem Coyote wrote expressing the same. Nicely penned. tyfs

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your words, Cyprian,
j.
Ouch!!!
And yes, this place is dead already.
Thankfully there is hope and sparks of the Devine still shine in our human experience.

There really is so much truth in this poem. From the neglect of those in need to Jesus being done with this state of humanity.
We will only have His Ghost until all is made new. But I get into theology here. And, oddly, so much of human history is based in theology. Making us all the more dead while trying to be more alive.

You might help me understand the title?
Maybe we are all just playing our part in the band of this world? Hmmm? Maybe this and much more I assume.

You poetry has the unique quality of meaning several things at once and could also just be emotion beyond assignment of meaning. Just a response, an observation… a theoretical fact to base the next exploration of thought.

I moved the experience of reading and contemplating this poem.

Scott.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

probably all of those, Scott.
thank you for your words,
j.
biting satire .. hypocrisy is a major stumbling block for us all .. would we ridded ourselves of it .. perhaps the world would come to terms with itself .. the consonance is scathing as presented .. rich history in the Church .. in scandals, lies and ....... hypocrisy; but also the Faith that Jesus himself taught his Apostles .. gave them authority and set up a hierarchy to make needed decisions .. is preserved with it's stains there is also much selfless giving ... incredible closing line sir .. one of the best says i! what a horror to think Jesus would feign to walk among our muck and mire ...after all that was done to the Christ .. an innocent lamb .. He yet forgave and I dare say, forgives us still ;) powerful and thought provoking poetry sir .. love the impactful consonance!
E.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

oh my, do I ever appreciate this review...
so much hypocrisy....so much
j.
Einstein Noodle

1 Year Ago

yes :(.....................
This poem makes me wonder. I think back to when I was a 17 year old hippie, listening to my father speak of the state of the country, disliking when we would flash the peace sign, the world was going downhill fast. I couldn't see it and probably would have paid it no mind had I looked. Now as I am much older I wonder...do I sound like my father? I look at the world and I believe I see the same things he saw.

This felt a bit angry and understandably so. Its message does not fall unheard to the ground. And once again I wonder...what will my grandchildren think of the country, the world when they are my age?
Nicely crafted Jacob.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

ah we went through much of the same...my parents' generation just didn't understand us at all....mos.. read more
This sounds as if were written after being subjected to a rally for Trump. It id s good but demoralizing poem.

Winston

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Winston,
j.
Yes, that band is beating their drums louder and looking for revenge in the coming year. Their messiah couldn't walk on water, but he can wallow in the mud with the worst of them.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes, wallowing with the best of them.
j.
We have lost the plot. We are led by spineless and corrupt politicians. Money is the new religion, nothing else counts and organized religion is responsible for most of the unrest around these days. I long for the days in the past when life was uncomplicated. I am showing my age. Hell is here on earth and heaven? Well I did once believe it existed. Strong write J and fab alliteration.

Chris

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Aye Aye....on the organized religion comment...
holy holy holy holy cow they are out of contr.. read more
A cry of existential angst here, and powerful too. When so much is wrong with the World, where does one begin ?
Excellent Work ✨️✨️✨️✨️✨️

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

Yes, where does one begin...good point, red...
j.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 27, 2022
Last Updated on November 27, 2022

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Choices Choices

A Poem by Chris Shaw