the painting

the painting

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

the painting

 

Christ came to dinner

and we all sat in bare feet

wondering who invited

that Mary woman to the proceedings,

and doubting that Thomas

would stay long.

 

 

 

erin-cilberto

2/26/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

We seem to read to much into stories. Of late, political correctness is hitting Bond books, Noddy books, Enid Blyton books, Roal Dahl books for language and yet the sacred Bible is untouched for its acts of indecency. It’s a mad, mad world today and I’m sure paintings will be subjected to this vandalism of no common sense. Nice one J.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

and that movie was on cable a couple nights ago...
very mad.
j.
I recently saw a viseo on Da Vinci last supper painting. When they took half of the painting and mirrored the reflection they found many odd pictures within the result that I found surprising and a bit shocking. You never know what's underneath it all. I don't think even Thomas would have doubted it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhl8WTgzsaU

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Relic,
j.
I feel as if we are all guided by those who write, or most often, re-write history. None of us were there, and none of us really know what happened, particularly Da Vinci. At this point, it's a matter of faith. I appreciate both the painting and your poem. It's art for the sake of art. Thank you, Jacob.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Linda Marie,
j.
Seems to refer to the famous Da Vinci painting, but the Magdalene wasn't in it, despite what Dan Brown and his ilk say. As far as I know, Thomas stayed for the whole eucharistic show. Judas, however, left early to conduct some business.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes he did, didn't he?
and as Dylan wrote..."we have to decide, did he have God on his side?"
I couldn't resist this Jacob. All the mysteries of the last supper. A complex clever interpretation with an almost whimsical layer in its moments..

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you, Ken,
j.
Clever interpret, indeed, this creative, poetic connotation should be scribed beneath De Vinci's artistic masterpiece...


Brilliant biblical brevity!

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

thank you for your words, Tom,
j.
Love this Jacob! I often wonder what Jesus was thinking and did he have a sense of humor. I especially like your line about “doubting that Thomas would stay long.” Very subtle and cleverly written.

Plus welcome back! You were missed. Hope your recovery is going well. Take care!

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

I am working on it, Dara...thanks for the kind wishes.
Part of the recovery is being back at .. read more
So many traditions passed down. How many were based in fact who will ever know. Certainly Leonardo had his own perspective. Why did he show a seafood dish (eel) at a Passover dinner? Everyone adds their own twist on their stories. Liked the poem it made me think and smile.

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

twists are part of life, eh Soren?
I would like to have been there to partake in the eel....g.. read more
The wonderful words paint the picture of the last supper, all quirks of the people that surrounded Jesus. I love it, as we all are like them in so many ways ;-]

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

yes, all the quirks...and what do they say...we are what we eat.
j.
Great description of the old painting Jacob. You open the door to more questions, then answers. Good early morning from snowy Michigan and thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 1 Year Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

1 Year Ago

questions keep us searching...thank you, Coyote.
j.
Coyote Poetry

1 Year Ago

They do Jacob and you are welcome my friend.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2023
Last Updated on March 3, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..