Restless Gun

Restless Gun

A Poem by jacob erin-cilberto

Restless Gun

 

 

Awaken to the sound of fire

mass murderers light the trigger

5 dead, 20 wounded

minds burned up in flight

 

scared to tread into tomorrow

we fear today with bullet proof thoughts

but the projectiles penetrate

further than a vest

Walking down the street,

sitting in church,

viewing a film in a theater

 

shots ring out

real?

Part of the film?

sermon claps?

cars backfiring?

 

the fire scorches the brow

of eternity

and we wink at God

 

just before our eyes close

for the last time.

 

 

erin-cilberto

12/12/23

© 2023 jacob erin-cilberto


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Jacob,

I am a Second Amendment Rights Advocate. And yet, I do not own a gun. I choose to not own a gun in a world fill with far too many people who do own, AND MISUSE, guns. There are too many damn fools who seek to make an infamous name for themselves that the cost and expense of innocent human lives. The right to defend one's home, family, and property, I do defend. But, the open avenue to maim, butcher, and murder innocent human beings, just for the sport of killing without rhyme or f*****g reason? That, I do not support. And, I do hope that you can understand why I choose to walk that difficult middle ground of striving to be a Moderate in an EXTREMIST far Right and far Left world of what I term as Intelligently-Stupid people, where rule, power, and control is more to be desired and attained than is the preservation of Human Life, Human Rights, and Human Dignity. If I owned a shotgun or a pistol, I would endeavor to keep as such as means to defend myself, family, and home, if the law of the land allowed me to do so. On the other hand, if I did own an assault rifle, I would be willing to surrender my weapon in hope of saving human lives, simply via my gesture of stepping out of the realm of "Rights!," extremes, and into that real world of those who are being gunned down as heinous examples of EXTREMISM that is exhibited by both sides of this issue, far Left and far Right, and do not be fooled by their claims to the contrary, because their words and actions are a facade and feigned as faked trickery that seeks Party and Rule over our common, living and dying, Humanity in a world where America thinks to lead the world. But where the hell are we leading the world, but to bloodshed, war, violence, death, the grave, and Man's ultimate extinction, exampled by one mass murder at a time? For when a nation permits the slaughter of innocents, as such make handy kindling for butchering that next enemy upon tomorrow's battlefield of yet one more war to end all wars in the name and claim of achieving peace.

Marve

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

yes, where are we leading it? Some example we are.
thank you, Marve,
j.
"we fear today with bullet proof thoughts"
Oh that is powerful!, I can sense this.....
This is amazing, very intriguing.

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

Thank you for your kind words, June bug,
j.
Even at Best .. Life is fragile. Only the children have a mind to encompass security. When I see children every day.. I see Innocence. For myself I feel like a Target. There are no Safe places to be… and so we breathe and trust that Eternity will wait at the Gate of Horizons. Softly, Pat

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

and lately, we are all targets...
thank you, Pat,
j.
Lately, I've been thinking of how fragile peace is and how we could all be featuring in similar films as victims. Life is snuffed off with such little preparation and/or regard. This is a great poem on the subject and I loved it.

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

Thank you, Divya,
j.
Speaks volumes on current matters . The most fearful part is that you never know when such mishappenings can occur , and the unpredictability just baffles and fears me. Loved the line " we wink at God " , . Sarcastic and on point .

Kathy

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

Thank you for your kind words, Kathy,
j.
If only the violence was all tv entertainment, but it isn’t and we know it only too well. It increases and so do our fears of finding it in our day to day reality. This poem made me feel I had been dozing in front of the tv, while a film was on, only to wake up when the gun shots started. Or maybe it was a news bulletin of current events. I fear too. Bullet proof vests a necessity. You gave me plenty of gun fire noise here j:)

Chris

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

If it were only tv made up scripts...but it is not.''that burden will stick with us for a very long .. read more
"we fear today with bullet proof thoughts"
I just love this line, too bad the world is like this.
Such a wonderful write, enjoyed this...

Posted 4 Months Ago


jacob erin-cilberto

4 Months Ago

Thank you, Meg...everything is so screwed up right now...the hate is more rampant than I have ever .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2023
Last Updated on December 13, 2023

Author

jacob erin-cilberto
jacob erin-cilberto

Carbondale, IL



About
Originally from Bronx, NY, I live in Carbondale, Illinois...teach English at a community college and have been writing and publishing poetry since 1970. I am here to read for inspiration from other po.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Not in Vain Not in Vain

A Chapter by Dave Brown