The Lake Piper

The Lake Piper

A Story by DearWorld

      Zzzzip. Anna zipped up her suitcase and hefted it down the stairs. It was heavy, she hoped she hadn't  forgotten anything. The front door was open, letting the sunshine pour into the house. The sounds of cupbords opening and the fridge shutting told her that Mom was in the kitchen, packing snacks and lunches for the trip. Anna handed her suitcase to Dad who was loading up the car. The summer air was warm and smells of flowers and trees drifted in through the door as a light breeze teased her hair.

      "Anna!" Mom called from the kitchen. Anna trotted over.

      "Ya Mom?" Her mom stood at the counter, putting peanutbutter-and-jelly sandwiches together. Her mother glanced at her.

      "Can you help me out and put the cooler in the car?" Anna nodded, heaving up the plastic blue cooler and walking out towards the car.

~

     Later that afternoon found them driving through a green forest along a bumpy dirt road. Anna knew this road went on for a couple more hours yet so she relaxed and tried to take a nap. Every year, her family took a vacation up to their cabin on the lake. Anna was so excited! the lake was her favorite place on earth! She stared out the car window at the trees as they whizzed past. Her six year old brother Jeremy had fallen asleep on her shoulder.

     Finally, the family car pulled up in front of a beautiful cabin. Anna hopped out of the car, letting the sleeping Jeremy fall onto the seat. She jogged past the cabin and down the small dirt path through the trees. The trail ended on the lake's shore. THIS is what she came here for.

    The lake had always made her feel at peace. As if it had been decided long ago that this was the place she was meant to be. A light breeze tossed her hair and tickled her tan face. She gazed across the lake and into the trees on the other side. Her parents were calling for her to come help them with the luggage. Just before she turned to hike back, she thought she saw something on the water, but when she went to look again, there was nothing there. 

~

    It was dark outside. Anna was curled up in her sleeping bag in front of the warm fireplace. Jeremy lay beside her, his baby face twitching with dreams. 

    Suddenly pictures and senses filled her mind. Little waves caressing the shore, the chilly night air bouncing off the water as a full moon hovered overhead, she had to get back to the lake.

    Crawling out of her sleeping bag, She slipped on her shoes. Careful not to wake anybody, she crept out the door.

    The forest was dark and a little spooky in the middle of the night, but Anna strode on. When she stepped onto the beach, the images in her head faded into reality. Climbing onto a large boulder, she sat to look at the stars.

    They were very bright tonight. The little lights circled around the full moon, creating a dazzling display. A faint splash echoed off the lake, startling Anna alomost out of her wits. She listened for a moment. There was silence.

    Probably just a beaver, she thought to herself. She gazed out into the depths of the lake. The water rose and fell, almost lulling her to sleep. Then she snapped her eyes back to the center of the lake. She knew she had seen something this time.

    The water began to bubble, as if someone had suddenly thrust the lake over a huge fire. Anna gawked in amazement. What was happening?

     Something was rising out of the water!  

     A young man gracefully stepped onto the skin of the lake. His silver hair wet and sparkling, his eyes shining like stars fallen from heaven. Draped over his smooth, pale body, were grasses of every color from the bottom of the lake. He was barefoot and standing there, on the surface, the way an actor stands on a stage right before he begins his act.

     Anna slid down behind the boulder, something made her not want to be seen by this beautiful stranger.

     The man pulled a wooden pipe from the tangle of grasses that lay across his half naked chest. Lifting the pipe to his lips, he began to play. The music was bewitching, otherworldly. It made Anna want to dance along the shore, naked and never ending. Suddenly, several other figures rose out of the water, forming a circle around the pipe player. They danced with their arms in the air, peaceful, yet fierce.

     Two young girls arose, each carrying a bright lamp at the end of a rod. Their pale hair glistened as they joined the man on the moonlit dancefloor.

     The strange people danced across the lake, spinning and twirling with the only sounds being the pipe playing in rythme with the lapping of the waves. Anna watched in amazement as their naked bodies kept time with the wind in the trees, as the piper played on and on.

    They danced for hours and hours, never resting, never stopping. Finally, just as the moon was sinking beneath the horizon, the man ceased his playing with a last lingering note. The whole company froze. The beautiful man turned towards Anna's hiding place and held out his hand, beckoning. Was he calling to her?

    Anna stood, coming out of hiding. The man smiled, his heavenly face shining like the moon. He stepped towards her and beckoned again. Anna hesitated. She wanted to join them, to dance with them, but she knew that walking on water was impossible for one such as herself. The longing filled up her entire being.

    The man took her hesitation as refusal and sadly, he and his companions slowly began sinking  back into the depths from which they came.

     "Wait!" Anna called desperatly. "Don't leave me!" She splashed into the water, swimming as fast as she could, reaching for him. Slowly he kept sinking, his outstretched hand never wavering. Anna swam faster, and faster, afraid that when she got there, he would be gone.

      Closer and closer she swam, but he was still sinking. Her eyes became wild with desperation as she got nearer and nearer. All that was visible of the man now, was his hand. Reaching towards the sky, waiting for her.

      She grasped onto his hand. The hand gripped hers back, it was cold and slimy like a fish. The arm continued to sink faster, still holding onto her hand. Anna began to panic. He was going to take her with him!

      She struggled, trying to slip out of the icy grip. She was being dragged downwards! Her lungs struggled for air as she tried to stay surfaced. Anna screamed, water rushed into her mouth, getting caught in her throat.

      Her face sunk beneath the surface, her free arm flailing above the water, lsearching for something to latch onto. Then, like that, she was gone. The lake was still, smooth and calm as the sky.

       

 

 

© 2009 DearWorld


Author's Note

DearWorld
What do you think? It's my first short story here and I'm open to learning. XD

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The description was good. The plot seems relatable. All up I didn't see much wrong with it except for the occasional typo. The ending was sad. You described it very well. Very beautifully.
Brilliant write.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 7, 2009

Author

DearWorld
DearWorld

AK



About
Check out my website: dearworldloveme.weebly.com I am 17 and live in Alaska (brrr) ... I'm a choco-holic... XD I hate being serious (no, seriously) ... I think lakes and mountain are the prettie.. more..

Writing